Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My microwave demands the time before it will do anything. Very annoying after a power failure. Luckily I'm one of those old-fashioned people who wears a wristwatch.

My microwave demands the time before it will do anything. Very annoying after a power failure. Luckily I'm one of those old-fashioned people who wears a wristwatch.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine does too. I almost always have my phone in my pocket. I would wear a watch, but they all die within a few months.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine does too. I almost always have my phone in my pocket. I would wear a watch, but they all die within a few months.

I get $12 cheapo watches from Amazon. Free shipping. I can snorkel with them, they're waterproof to 20 feet. Which as I found out the day before yesterday, is not necessary, as I couldn't even get down 10 feet.

They are men's, even though they say they're women's, so they're big on me, but I don't care.

Last edited:
I get $12 cheapo watches from Amazon. Free shipping. I can snorkel with them, they're waterproof to 20 feet. Which as I found out the day before yesterday, is not necessary, as I couldn't even get down 10 feet.

They are men's, even though they say they're women's, so they're big on me, but I don't care.
Cheap ones, expensive ones, they all quit working on me. Sometimes they still work on other people.

Cheap ones, expensive ones, they all quit working on me. Sometimes they still work on other people.

My last one was better fitting, got it at Walmart. I think I had it for 8 years. It still works, but the wristband fell apart, and the black duct tape that I used to fix it looked, um, tacky.

I wasn't concerned about the "clock" working on the microwave. After all, it did run fine when I punched in some commands. When it comes to clocks in the kitchen, I'm surrounded. I have one on the toaster oven (three feet to the 7-o-clock position from the micro), one on the stove (directly below the micro), one on the weather station display (two feet to the right, on the windowsill), and one on the coffee maker, just round the corner from the window. And yes, they ALL display the same time, all calibrated to the weather station (which gets its signal from a satellite). I'm *ahem* anal obsessive like that. :ROFLMAO:

...And yes, they ALL display the same time, all calibrated to the weather station (which gets its signal from a satellite). I'm *ahem* anal obsessive like that. :ROFLMAO:

I feel your pain. I have to have all the same times on my clocks too. It's especially difficult to synch with the hand wound regulator clock I built 40 years ago.

Anytime one of my appliance's wants the time, they get 1:11 am or pm. I have a beautiful wall clock that can be seen from the kitchen or in my big room. Even the stove. Since it is the length of time I have something in the oven, the time of day doesn't matter. And I don't set the clock on my coffee maker either. In all the years I have had an automatic coffee maker, I don't think I have ever set it for a specific time.

I have three watches. Two of them are very expensive. It is always the battery that goes on me. I pull out the stem to stop the watch from running. That way it saves the battery.

Since Spike works for a jeweler, I get all my battery replacements for free. His boss gave Spike a handful of them. Fortunately all my watches take the same battery. Spike keeps them at home and I have to wait a whole hour sometimes to get a new battery placed in it. Woe is me. ;)

Seriously, the batteries only cost two to three dollars. And they can be replaced right there in any jewelry store. A walk in service that they all provide. At least in this town. I have heard of some stores refusing if the watch wasn't purchased there. A silly move on their part. The loss of a potentially new customer in the future. :angel:

I have a feeling folks might think I have Tourettes or some type of other affliction. I keep having conversations in my head, and keep shrugging my shoulders. While people are watching. I'm apparently quite entertaining.

I'm not schizophrenic, yet. (Oh yes you are, said the voices in my head...)

Just kidding! I'm fine, said the other voice in my head.

I have a feeling folks might think I have Tourettes or some type of other affliction. I keep having conversations in my head, and keep shrugging my shoulders. While people are watching. I'm apparently quite entertaining.

;) Did you take your meds today dear? You know we worry about you. :angel:

I was fiddlin' around in the kitchen this morning doing chores and cleaning out the fridge, while Tyler was playing with his cars at the dining room table. He asked me who I was talking to. :ermm::LOL:

;) Did you take your meds today dear? You know we worry about you. :angel:

I have my own special crazy, Addie! Not sure there's meds for it though...

Cheryl, I do tend to mumble to myself, but usually in private. Oh well, I have a theater degree. I'll have to print out a sign that says I have a theater degree, please ignore me when I mumble to myself in public and shrug!

Last edited:
I have my own special crazy, Addie! Not sure there's meds for it though...

Cheryl, I do tend to mumble to myself, but usually in private. Oh well, I have a theater degree. I'll have to print out a sign that says I have a theater degree, please ignore me when I mumble to myself in public and shrug!

Well, if it is any comfort, I doubt if any of us are alone when it comes to talking out loud to ourselves. Pirate and myself all day are saying, "what, what, what?" It is just us talking to ourselves and thinking we are talking to each other.

We have come up with an answer to the whole problem though. When one of us says "What?", we answer, "it is just Margaret again." She is the imaginary person who is haunting this apartment. She makes us do strange things all the time. :angel:

My Mom said it was perfectly fine to talk to yourself out loud. It was only when you started to answer back that you had to worry. I've been teetering on the edge for years.

CG, I always solve my own issues, mostly by talking to myself and shrugging.

I will have to get DH a hearing aid. While he's not listened to me in over 30 years, now it's, "What?" , "Huh?" And I actually think he can't hear me, instead of ignoring me like he always did before.

In our case, Himself has been "Not listening since 1974". :LOL: We have a routine: when I think he's been ignoring me I'll say "but you're not listening to me". He then replies with "What?" The funny thing is, if I ask him what I just said, he can repeat it back nearly word-for-word. The guy annoys me to no end. And yet I let him live. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom