"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #271
Master Chef

Holy cow. Spike sure is one lucky son of a gun.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #272
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Holy cow. Spike sure is one lucky son of a gun.
Indeed he is. And all because of other people having a bad gambling habit. And I become a winner also. Every time he finds a ticket that has money on it because someone thought it was a loser, I get an order of fried clams. It is the price he has to pay for doing it all on my computer.

Now we just have to wait for the drawing for the Ice Skating competition. His mailman has a teen son. Thanks to Spike's winning, the boy has his wall covered with signed memorabilia of the Boston Bruins Hockey Team. A couple of shirts, hockey sticks. posters, etc.

My grandson has the same for the Red Sox. And my girlfriend's daughter in Atlanta is a Patriot's fanatical fan and has a jacket, couple of hats, posters, etc. She has a football signed by the whole team including Brady and Gronkowski.

Spike is running out of people to give this stuff to when he wins. He keeps the cash, but always gives the tickets and other stuff to folks he knows.

What gets me is he will tell you "I'm not proud." He picks up tickets off the street, goes through a barrel where ever he sees one. He doesn't care. One of those tickets could be the BIG one! And he has everyone in the family doing the same thing. Even me. I have become a garbage picker!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #273
Master Chef

I have to admit my post above was in sarcasm...

It's hard to believe one person could make $100-$200 a WEEK on winning scratchers thrown away by mistake.

"....Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200...."
Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #274
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I have to admit my post above was in sarcasm...

It's hard to believe one person could make $100-$200 a WEEK on winning scratchers thrown away by mistake.

"....Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200...."
Yeah. It's hard to believe that people who play the lottery don't know all the possible ways they can win.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #275
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah. It's hard to believe that people who play the lottery don't know all the possible ways they can win.
It's not hard for me to believe.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Eons ago, I worked at a 7-Eleven and sold zillions of lottery tickets. People purchasing them often chatted with each other about how they did this week or last week or a month ago on the various games. They shared information and it was somewhat competitive. So it would surprise me to see people continually throwing away winners.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have picked up a ticket right after I saw it tossed in the waste pile. A $20 win for me. It happens all the time to those willing to pick them out of the waste basket.

Stand there and watch someone who has just spent $100 on a string of tickets. He is the one looking for the BIG win. I seen men pull out a ball of cash and buy almost half of the book. It happens every time a new game comes out. They think all the big winners are in those first books.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Eons ago, I worked at a 7-Eleven and sold zillions of lottery tickets. People purchasing them often chatted with each other about how they did this week or last week or a month ago on the various games. They shared information and it was somewhat competitive. So it would surprise me to see people continually throwing away winners.
The higher the cost of the ticket, the higher the prize money. The addicted gambler is not interested in the small $10, $20 winner tickets. He wants the $M winning ticket. He will settle for the $1,000 or $2,000. Even brag about it. The problem in this state, is you can't cash the tickets that are over $600 in the store. You have to go in town to the offices of the Lottery and cash it in. And that is where you get your picture in the paper, and all sorts of publicity.

The gambler with an addiction is another kind of person. We just had a million dollar winner here in Eastie. Picture in the paper and all the information of where he bought the ticket, him holding a giant check copy of the check standing next to the Commissioner of the Lottery.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think most lottery players are addicted. It's just a habit and a hope.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #280
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
An old lady told me she bought a 50˘ Mini Loto ticket every week. It was cheaper than a book and she could fantasize all week about what she would do with $50,000. (No income tax on lottery winnings here in Canada)