"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #321
Master Chef

Good idea, Taxy. Sure sounds like someone up to no good under the cover of darkness.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #322
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just phoned public security, so they would know. I will call my condo rep later, when she gets home from work. Oh, and I will post it on the condo's FB page.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #323
Master Chef

Maybe Trick-or-Treaters got a late start this year, Taxy? All of your plans sound like a great way to deter any further funny stuff by whoever showed up at your door. Probably some drunk, or a group of them who decided to challenge one of the group to do something like that. Nothing more "interesting" than a bunch of drunks. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #324
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Maybe Trick-or-Treaters got a late start this year, Taxy? All of your plans sound like a great way to deter any further funny stuff by whoever showed up at your door. Probably some drunk, or a group of them who decided to challenge one of the group to do something like that. Nothing more "interesting" than a bunch of drunks. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Yeah, I can easily imagine it was some drunken young men, daring each other.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:06 AM   #325
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Something weird happened last night. I go outside to smoke. I went out a little after midnight and everything was normal. I went out again about half an hour later. It seemed darker than it should with the outside light on. I have a light attached to the outside wall of the house. I looked at it. There was a plastic planter over it like a lampshade. So, someone came into my tiny backyard and did that. I was mostly sitting on the Chesterfield on the opposite side of that wall and never heard anything. I wonder what that was about. Stirling thinks it was a drunk.
This might be a stretch but could the wind have picked up the plastic pot and planted it on the light fixture? In my apartment complex we sometimes find things in odd places after a storm, the courtyard seems to create a wind tunnel of sorts.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #326
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This might be a stretch but could the wind have picked up the plastic pot and planted it on the light fixture? In my apartment complex we sometimes find things in odd places after a storm, the courtyard seems to create a wind tunnel of sorts.
It would be highly unlikely, even if there had been any wind. My backyard, I tend to get less wind than the general amount of wind. Also, someone emptied water out of it onto my back step. It hadn't been on the step.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #327
Chef Extraordinaire

Choosing a Profession

Pirate's oldest son is a firefighter in a bedroom community up near the NH border. He wanted to transfer to the Boston Fire Department. Pirate had quite a hard time convincing him to stay where he was. He asked me to come up with some reasons why he should stay put.

Boston has old triple deckers that are mostly wooden. They are close together and are as a rule multiple alarm fires. Any time there have been a death of a firefighter on the job, it has been because Boston fights these fires from the inside. They are close together. So close there are sometimes you can reach out your side window and touch the building next door. I have seen whole blocks go up in flames.

He has two young children. If anything should happen to him, they would be fatherless. And should his wife remarry, did he really want someone else punishing his kids?

Ok Dad, I get the picture. I won't transfer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...py2uM7kqQ6E%3D
Old 01-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #328
Master Chef

Memory - or lack thereof

You don't need a treadmill or a StairMaster if you have a two-story house (three, if you count the steps to the basement) and a poor memory.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #329
Master Chef

That's for sure, CG!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #330
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So I'm in the kitchen heating up the meatless pot roast, in my extra large frayed sweatshirt and flannel pants, and DH comes home from work for lunch. "You look like Olive Oyl."

The man sure knows how to give out compliments!