"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #341
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That is all so sad, GG For all of you. Time for a group hug?

Your post shook me up a little, since Himself has Type 2 he's battled for over a decade. If he won't look after his exercise requirements, I can at least go back to cooking better. Can't nag better, though, since I'm probably at the top of the game in that.

Thanks so much for sharing this. If you help any one of us here, you've done your good deed.
Thanks for the hug, sweetie My maternal grandfather had Type 2 diabetes, too. I remember my grandmother actually measured out his servings with a measuring cup. I know that's hard to do with some people, though

I've been talking to DH about his diet; he doesn't have Type 2, but he's at higher risk, since his mother does. He recently switched from instant oatmeal for breakfast to a multigrain instant oatmeal, with rolled oats, flax seed, barley, quinoa and rye. I know it's not the best choice, but it's better than the toaster waffles he was eating last fall And since he gets up at 5:30 and makes his own breakfast, there's only so much I can do.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #342
Chef Extraordinaire

I am pretty good at keeping my sugar under control. My problem is getting enough water into me.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #343
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you test it often, Addie?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #344
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you test it often, Addie?
I have to be the worst patient any doctor ever had with diabetes. I test when I remember it or if I see a commercial on TV to remind me. Very rarely is it out of control. I stay in the low 6.0 area. I was doing too good to the point I kept having sugar crashes. My sugar would drop so low that at one time when I went into for a pre op workup, that the last thing I remember hearing was, "Do we have a crash cart?" So they took me off all medication. The only sugar I have in my life is in my coffee. I really watch very closely what I eat and how much. One slice of bread folded in half in a sandwich for me. And it always is a meat filling. Spread very thinly.

I do record all my readings in Excel, print it out once a month and they enter it into my chart at The Club. They are pleasantly surprised at how well I am doing. My highest reading this past year was 6.8. And that was right after a full meal. I do record if I have eaten and what. So for the miserable manner of testing, I still keep an eye on my sugar levels.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #345
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH made the mistake of having a cup of coffee with a small shot of my homemade Kahlua. The same stuff that kept us both up until 3 am a few months ago. Now he's bouncing off the walls even while watching his beloved Hawkeyes, and has to come downstairs to give me a minute-by-minute report about how caffeinated he is.

I'm done with homemade Kahlua. It's dangerous.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #346
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH made the mistake of having a cup of coffee with a small shot of my homemade Kahlua. The same stuff that kept us both up until 3 am a few months ago. Now he's bouncing off the walls even while watching his beloved Hawkeyes, and has to come downstairs to give me a minute-by-minute report about how caffeinated he is.

I'm done with homemade Kahlua. It's dangerous.
Make it with decaf.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #347
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Make it with decaf.

Heh. It was a mix of packets, both caf and decaf, that we'd acquired through the years of hotel stays. I just had the brilliant idea of decluttering and using them up. Tastes just like Kahlua, only on steroids.

Hmm. All is quiet upstairs now. Better go check.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #348
Master Chef

Note to self:

Be sure to put water into the water kettle BEFORE turning on the burner.

Fortunately, my bat ears heard the metal pinging soon after heating had started, and I'm smart enough to not put cold water into a hot pot. No harm, no foul.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #349
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I am loving these programs where kids volunteer to read to shelter dogs and cats! It really helps them all!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #350
Master Chef

I'm not lazy, I'm selectively ambitious.