Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I should have put this in the Petty Vents thread -- anyway, I bought some 'good' dishtowels to replace my old ones that I've always bleached in the wash. These new ones, white with a green stripe, came with that little tag telling how to care for them. It warns me not to bleach them. C'mon now. Generally speaking, 'they' also don't want me to bleach colored sheets or bathtowels, probably so the colors won't fade. Here is the stray thought that brought this mini-rant on -- can't help but wonder if some of our germ problems stem from no longer bleaching these items as our mothers did when white sheets, white kitchen towels, white underwear, etc. were the norm. (I wish I had a dinosaur Smilie to use.)

Maybe I should have put this in the Petty Vents thread -- anyway, I bought some 'good' dishtowels to replace my old ones that I've always bleached in the wash. These new ones, white with a green stripe, came with that little tag telling how to care for them. It warns me not to bleach them. C'mon now. Generally speaking, 'they' also don't want me to bleach colored sheets or bathtowels, probably so the colors won't fade. Here is the stray thought that brought this mini-rant on -- can't help but wonder if some of our germ problems stem from no longer bleaching these items as our mothers did when white sheets, white kitchen towels, white underwear, etc. were the norm. (I wish I had a dinosaur Smilie to use.)

Completely agree, didn't have problems with "Superbugs" until we started using antibotics to clean with and stopped using Bleach and the original Lysol.

I agree and would add that it helped to hang them outside on the line to let them flap around in the fresh air and sunshine for a few hours!

I still use a couple of those old calendar towels from the late sixties and early seventies, they are frayed and faded, sorta like me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Keep a couple pretty dish towels to put out on holidays or when company comes and bleach the rest of them!

I do a separate washer load for my kitchen towels and wash cloths. I add bleach to the load. Half way through the wash cycle, I shut the washer off for an hour to soak. then I always do a double rinse before drying.

I keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach for cleaning the counter tops. Dish soap is not anti-bacterial.

The Pirate needed a copy of his driving record. You can now get it as long as you have a computer for only $6.00. They send a copy of your record right to your computer to print out as many copies as you need. Saves a trip to in town in this stinking snow and weather. I don't even know if the Registry is even staffed right now. State workers that are not of importance have been told they can stay home with pay. Unfortunately, my daughter is not in that group. A new worry. Her driving to and from work every day. And it is not nearby.

:blink: Some days I feel like my life is a nightmare. Today is one of those days. :angel:

I agree and would add that it helped to hang them outside on the line to let them flap around in the fresh air and sunshine for a few hours!

I still use a couple of those old calendar towels from the late sixties and early seventies, they are frayed and faded, sorta like me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Keep a couple pretty dish towels to put out on holidays or when company comes and bleach the rest of them!
I don't use bleach routinely in the wash but I do wash bedding and towels on the hottest 90degree wash. Bleach does more harm to the environment than boiling water.

I have a friend who, when her children were young, was an obsessive cleaner. When I went to see her the smell of bleach from the bathroom and the kitchen would take my breathe away before I even stepped over the threshold. She wiped down all surfaces in the house with disinfectant every day including a polished mahogany table.

I have never come across a family who had more vomiting and diarrhoea episodes in my entire life! There is such a thing as being TOO clean!

This occurred to me when I was coming home from a few, last-minute, pre-storm errands: It's snowing, the roads are covered, the piles of snow at the sides of the road are like mountains, and I'm driving a white car. :huh: I must look like a moving snowbank! :ROFLMAO:

This occurred to me when I was coming home from a few, last-minute, pre-storm errands: It's snowing, the roads are covered, the piles of snow at the sides of the road are like mountains, and I'm driving a white car. :huh: I must look like a moving snowbank! :ROFLMAO:

The reports on this storm are making me very nervous. We are so screwed in Boston. Little by little they are shutting down the city. This is becoming worse than the blizzard of '78. :angel:

Addie, I bet this storm isn't any worse. It's probably more like we weren't as bothered by it because the media didn't hype it like they do today. Our storm in '78 was horrible, but we sucked it up and carried on. The barometer dropped so low they referred to it as a white hurricane. It had been the lowest ever over land until sometime within the past decade.

Addie, I bet this storm isn't any worse. It's probably more like we weren't as bothered by it because the media didn't hype it like they do today. Our storm in '78 was horrible, but we sucked it up and carried on. The barometer dropped so low they referred to it as a white hurricane. It had been the lowest ever over land until sometime within the past decade.

CG, I don't know what it is like down where you are, but in the past three weeks, we have had only two days when the sun came out and no snow. Every single days has been overcast and snow. If you listen to the weather reports, they just aren't getting it right at all. I am afraid they are a joke. A bad joke. :angel:

Sun? What sun? :huh: Actually, Addie, we've have just a bit more sun than you, still less than a handful of days. You guys have been having bouts of "lake effect" snow, or in your case, ocean effect. We had that all the time back in OH. Until Lake Erie would freeze over, usually sometime in January, every time the cold winds blew across the open water it would generate snow clouds. Most winters we didn't see any sun from Thanksgiving till almost St. Pat's Day. Rarely did we ever have over a foot of snow at once, but we would have some snow more days than not.

Right now we've seen over six feet of snow fall around our area over the past 3 weeks. A couple of days we went out to check to make sure we still had shingles and siding because the winds were so fierce during the night. I know I'm very grateful that Himself no longer has to go to work in weather like this.

CG, during the storm of 78 I was working for the BPD. I was working at a station not in Eastie. There was an old woman who in the middle of the storm wanted to go to the store to get food for her kitty. She slipped trying to get over a very high drift and slipped under a car. They called the station and asked me if I would be willing to help get her out of there. There were no cops small enough to fit under the car. Too much snow on the street to leave any wiggle room. So I bundled up, a car brought me to the site, and I wiggled under the car on my tummy to reach her. She was crying and told me he hip was hurting. "Oh Dear God, don't let me do any more harm to this lady!" So I grabbed her by her arms, turned her around and wiggled back out pulling her by her arms. I did all this with wiggle, rest, pull. Wiggle, rest, pull. It took a while and when I got her far enough out, the ambulance was there and they took over. They told me I did the right thing by pulling her by her arms. Her arms were the furthest point from where I found her. Twice the work to turn her around. I had to pull her first away from where she was so that her broken hip leg wouldn't hit the curb.

When it was over and done with I just told the guys, take me back to the station. They did try to press accolades on me. That is so not me. I have a job to do, so I just do it. Anyone would. I refused to talk about it at any time. It was broadcasted over the radio. I could hear it in the station. I asked if I could be released early so I wouldn't have to hear any more. They allowed a car, at the height of the storm to take me home. That was the one and only time they ever drove out of their district. I had them drop me off at my sister's. Thank Heaven they not only had snow tires, but chains. When was the last time you saw a car with chains. So I can honestly say I was out in the Blizzard of '78 working. The following June when they were passing out ribbons and other good stuff, I got a special plaque from the BPD for my assistance. It went into a bottom drawer. Where it is today, I have no idea. And I don't care. I was hired to do a job and I did it. If I had been asked to dive into Boston Harbor to retrieve a body, I would have done it.

Oh dear. I just looked out the window and it is snowing HARD! It is coming down sideways and I couldn't see across the street. The snow is already halfway up the big window. They just cleared it yesterday. And you can see the trees rocking. :angel:

Thanks PF - on both counts. At least it's not often, and it's not for long. Just a jab that makes me stand or sit up straight. Either I slept funny at night, or my Mom keeps reminding me to "straighten up!" I slouched as a child because I grew taller earlier than all the boys in my classes. Then we all went on to our high schools and I shrunk. :LOL:

I am still in my nasty mean mood. Hope I come out of it today. This is so not me. Nobody showed up last night so I could bit their head off for no reason. Still looking for a victim. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom