"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #421
Master Chef

Mosquito bites

Himself refused bug spray when he was headed out to grill the steaks. He told me he'd just give the mosquito bites to me. I stayed inside.

Just started to scratch my right wrist. Looked down and found a mosquito bite! How the heck did he do that???

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #422
Master Chef

Make him take it back.

We don't get many mosquitos here, thank goodness. The folks with swimming pools and ponds may get a little more, but I'm not usually bothered by those evil little critters.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #423
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH is almost as good as bug spray. He attracts gnats, so they avoid me. He sprays himself down, but they still like him better. No mosquitos yet this year, but they're expected shortly. I'm more of a tick magnet.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #424
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

First time I've ever seen a butterfly drinking out of my hummingbird feeder. I thought it was a dead leaf, it sat there for a long time, then it flew away. We also have a pair of downey woodpeckers who figured out how to drink from the feeder. Glad they like my cooking!

Oh, and we also have hummingbirds, but they keep kicking each other off the feeder.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #425
Chef Extraordinaire

If they have a choice, skeeters prefer thin folks over those who might have more poundage on them. It seems like the fat gives off an offensive odor to the little critters. A perfect excuse to eat heartily during the summer months.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #426
Master Chef

I call BS on that, Addie. I am FAR from thin, but mosquitoes love me to death. I'm pretty sure it's because of all the hot air I exhale.

Dawg, we have a feeder that is enclosed by a wire cage to keep squirrels away from the seed and suet. We have both downy and hairy woodpeckers that love the suet - but only the downy can fit in. And the squirrel-proof feeder (soooo misnamed!) has all of the smaller birds feasting happily...until the squirrel shows up. Caught one in the act today. Meanwhile, at the Oriole feeder, no orioles but a couple of cat birds that love the grape jelly! And, alas, only hummers at the hummingbird feeder. No flutterbyes.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #427
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I call BS on that, Addie. I am FAR from thin, but mosquitoes love me to death. I'm pretty sure it's because of all the hot air I exhale.

Dawg, we have a feeder that is enclosed by a wire cage to keep squirrels away from the seed and suet. We have both downy and hairy woodpeckers that love the suet - but only the downy can fit in. And the squirrel-proof feeder (soooo misnamed!) has all of the smaller birds feasting happily...until the squirrel shows up. Caught one in the act today. Meanwhile, at the Oriole feeder, no orioles but a couple of cat birds that love the grape jelly! And, alas, only hummers at the hummingbird feeder. No flutterbyes.
CG, when we lived in Texas, some idiot planted a banana tree right next to the door. Every morning my whole door was covered with skeeters. I used to have to call the city to come spray my door so I could safely get out. It seems the banana tree was the culprit. Every night the leaves would collect all the dew and create puddles in them. I tore that fauna up so fast when the city pointed that out to me. Problem solved. About a week later, the city called me and asked me why I wasn't calling for the spray truck anymore. I told them, and they said that they would send out a bulletin to all the households regarding the problem with banana trees.

Regarding feeding habits of those critters, it was a report I read when living down there. My personal thought to that stupid information was, "Well I am going to stay as fat as I can for the rest of my life." Like you, it didn't help me either. I could die from either an infected bite or being overweight. Or both.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #428
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Fireflies! I just saw a firefly outside my window!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:09 AM   #429
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Fireflies! I just saw a firefly outside my window!
That sounds like the first sign of summer.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #430
Assistant Cook

I like your signature, Dawgluver