"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #441
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My microwave demands the time before it will do anything. Very annoying after a power failure. Luckily I'm one of those old-fashioned people who wears a wristwatch.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #442
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My microwave demands the time before it will do anything. Very annoying after a power failure. Luckily I'm one of those old-fashioned people who wears a wristwatch.
You could always look on your computer one you rebooted it

Old 06-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #443
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine does too. I almost always have my phone in my pocket. I would wear a watch, but they all die within a few months.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #444
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine does too. I almost always have my phone in my pocket. I would wear a watch, but they all die within a few months.

I get $12 cheapo watches from Amazon. Free shipping. I can snorkel with them, they're waterproof to 20 feet. Which as I found out the day before yesterday, is not necessary, as I couldn't even get down 10 feet.

They are men's, even though they say they're women's, so they're big on me, but I don't care.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #445
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I get $12 cheapo watches from Amazon. Free shipping. I can snorkel with them, they're waterproof to 20 feet. Which as I found out the day before yesterday, is not necessary, as I couldn't even get down 10 feet.

They are men's, even though they say they're women's, so they're big on me, but I don't care.
Cheap ones, expensive ones, they all quit working on me. Sometimes they still work on other people.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #446
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Quote:
Cheap ones, expensive ones, they all quit working on me. Sometimes they still work on other people.

My last one was better fitting, got it at Walmart. I think I had it for 8 years. It still works, but the wristband fell apart, and the black duct tape that I used to fix it looked, um, tacky.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #447
Master Chef

I wasn't concerned about the "clock" working on the microwave. After all, it did run fine when I punched in some commands. When it comes to clocks in the kitchen, I'm surrounded. I have one on the toaster oven (three feet to the 7-o-clock position from the micro), one on the stove (directly below the micro), one on the weather station display (two feet to the right, on the windowsill), and one on the coffee maker, just round the corner from the window. And yes, they ALL display the same time, all calibrated to the weather station (which gets its signal from a satellite). I'm *ahem* anal obsessive like that.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #448
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...And yes, they ALL display the same time, all calibrated to the weather station (which gets its signal from a satellite). I'm *ahem* anal obsessive like that.
I feel your pain. I have to have all the same times on my clocks too. It's especially difficult to synch with the hand wound regulator clock I built 40 years ago.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #449
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Anytime one of my appliance's wants the time, they get 1:11 am or pm. I have a beautiful wall clock that can be seen from the kitchen or in my big room. Even the stove. Since it is the length of time I have something in the oven, the time of day doesn't matter. And I don't set the clock on my coffee maker either. In all the years I have had an automatic coffee maker, I don't think I have ever set it for a specific time.

I have three watches. Two of them are very expensive. It is always the battery that goes on me. I pull out the stem to stop the watch from running. That way it saves the battery.

Since Spike works for a jeweler, I get all my battery replacements for free. His boss gave Spike a handful of them. Fortunately all my watches take the same battery. Spike keeps them at home and I have to wait a whole hour sometimes to get a new battery placed in it. Woe is me.

Seriously, the batteries only cost two to three dollars. And they can be replaced right there in any jewelry store. A walk in service that they all provide. At least in this town. I have heard of some stores refusing if the watch wasn't purchased there. A silly move on their part. The loss of a potentially new customer in the future.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #450
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a feeling folks might think I have Tourettes or some type of other affliction. I keep having conversations in my head, and keep shrugging my shoulders. While people are watching. I'm apparently quite entertaining.

I'm not schizophrenic, yet. (Oh yes you are, said the voices in my head...)

Just kidding! I'm fine, said the other voice in my head.