Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why chicken rabbit and lamb don't have other names so I don't have to think about what they look like when I eat them? Pig is pork, and cow is beef so who made up those names anyway and why couldn't they find non descriptive names for the cute critters we eat?
It has to do with the Norman invasion of England. Everything French became snooty. Pork from porc, beef from boeuf, veal from veau, mutton from mouton, etc. We sometimes use a word for chicken that comes from French: pullet from poulet.

So the upper classes used the snooty words and their kitchen staff learned them too.

"Poultry" sounds less endearing than "chicken". Don't you think so too, Kayelle? Now we have to work on less warm-and-fuzzy names for the bunnies and the little lambs...

It has to do with the Norman invasion of England. Everything French became snooty. Pork from porc, beef from boeuf, veal from veau, mutton from mouton, etc. We sometimes use a word for chicken that comes from French: pullet from poulet.

So the upper classes used the snooty words and their kitchen staff learned them too.

You forgot "freedom fries." :LOL:

Oh, wait... different invasion. :huh:

CD

"Poultry" sounds less endearing than "chicken". Don't you think so too, Kayelle? Now we have to work on less warm-and-fuzzy names for the bunnies and the little lambs...
Thank you. I could not remember "poultry" and I was sure there was another one for chicken, even though poultry, like fowl, could mean other birds too. Call the little lambs "little mutton". :rolleyes:

hmmm... but "little mutton" would probably end up being shortened to "little mutt"
.... and then everyone would have to remember it wasn't the stray dog's puppies that were found behind the garage.

The last 12 years of my grandmothers life she had Dementia. I am so much like her it scares me. By that I mean I look like her and am very independent like her. But she never drove a car and I never saw her read a book. After grandpa died she just sat and watched TV.
I try to keep my mind busy. I read a lot, I do puzzles, I started adult coloring and extreme dot to dot books. I also try to leave the house every day, to shop, to go to the library and even sit by the river. I also try to stay involved with my grand-children and great grand-childrens lives. I hope it helps.

The last 12 years of my grandmothers life she had Dementia. I am so much like her it scares me. By that I mean I look like her and am very independent like her. But she never drove a car and I never saw her read a book. After grandpa died she just sat and watched TV.
I try to keep my mind busy. I read a lot, I do puzzles, I started adult coloring and extreme dot to dot books. I also try to leave the house every day, to shop, to go to the library and even sit by the river. I also try to stay involved with my grand-children and great grand-childrens lives. I hope it helps.

You are doing all the right things. Stay engaged in life!

El JoAnn, take a page from the Irish.Smother the things you love with all that's good in your soul, and fight the things you hate. Forever.

And ever (apparently Irish Catholics like to be sure.)

And take a fishing rod to that river. Let me know what they're biting on...

Last edited:
El JoAnn, take a page from the Irish.Smother the things you love with all that's good in your soul, and fight the things you hate. Forever.

And ever (apparently Irish Catholics like to be sure.)

And take a fishing rod to that river. Let me know what they're biting on...

Thank you buckytom. You are something special.

JoAnn L, no matter what our individual past experiences, your words of wisdom have been an encouragement for me to remember.

and on a lighter note:

Remember...

Attachments

• giveup_LI.jpg
    giveup_LI.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 124
JoAnn, my younger sister had the same name. She was born with a severe heart defect. But you would never know it. She was on the go every single day she was able to be. Her mind was as sharp as can be. Had she lived, I think she would have outsmarted all of us.

Having said this, I too would like to add that you are on the right track. Keep that mind alert at all times. Every week when I go for my checkups, I have to go through a very large room filled with dementia patients. I have to give the staff a lot of credit. They work very hard to keep these folks involved in the world around them. The first thing they do at nine o'clock sharp is turn to their left and then to their right and introduce themselves to their neighbors. They have sing-a-longs, exercises, and all sorts of activities that require them to use their minds.

You are so on the right track. I wouldn't worry too much about developing dementia. You are going to be smart as a tack well into your 90's. Just because you look like your grandmother, has no bearing on your mind. You are doing all right things. You are staying involved in life and the living. Enjoy all those grandchildren and great grandchildren. Past studies have shown that when the elderly are surrounded by young people, their own minds stay alert and involved. You go girl!!!

JoAnn, my younger sister had the same name. She was born with a severe heart defect. But you would never know it. She was on the go every single day she was able to be. Her mind was as sharp as can be. Had she lived, I think she would have outsmarted all of us.

Having said this, I too would like to add that you are on the right track. Keep that mind alert at all times. Every week when I go for my checkups, I have to go through a very large room filled with dementia patients. I have to give the staff a lot of credit. They work very hard to keep these folks involved in the world around them. The first thing they do at nine o'clock sharp is turn to their left and then to their right and introduce themselves to their neighbors. They have sing-a-longs, exercises, and all sorts of activities that require them to use their minds.

You are so on the right track. I wouldn't worry too much about developing dementia. You are going to be smart as a tack well into your 90's. Just because you look like your grandmother, has no bearing on your mind. You are doing all right things. You are staying involved in life and the living. Enjoy all those grandchildren and great grandchildren. Past studies have shown that when the elderly are surrounded by young people, their own minds stay alert and involved. You go girl!!!

Thanks Addie, Grandma lived to be 92. When they first put her in a home she thought she was just out of town, that it was so nice of us to visit her. Within weeks she didn't remember who we were. Like I said she lived 12 years in that home. It was so sad.
I really love everyone here on DC. You are all so caring and thoughtful.

This morning while I was ironing, my thoughts went back to my teenage years at home. I would help my mother with the ironing (this was way before steam irons). We would sprinkle our clothes with water and roll them up for a while before ironing. It made my mother very happy that I would help her. To this day I still find peace in doing the ironing.

This morning while I was ironing, my thoughts went back to my teenage years at home. I would help my mother with the ironing (this was way before steam irons). We would sprinkle our clothes with water and roll them up for a while before ironing. It made my mother very happy that I would help her. To this day I still find peace in doing the ironing.

I love to iron. In fact my daughter bought me a new ironing board for Christmas.

JoAnn, I still do the same thing, sprinkle and roll! LOL even with a steam iron - I'm sure you remember stashing them in the fridge or freezer if you were interrupted and couldn't get back to them until the next day. LOL

Love the smell of fresh ironed things - especially my pillowcase.

JoAnn, I still do the same thing, sprinkle and roll! LOL even with a steam iron - I'm sure you remember stashing them in the fridge or freezer if you were interrupted and couldn't get back to them until the next day. LOL

Love the smell of fresh ironed things - especially my pillowcase.

Yes, I do remember putting them in the fridge. My grand-mother even ironed her sheets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom