Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if both our mom's were fibbers :ermm:, but after catching a braid on a picket fence, the story sure made me pay attention. :ROFLMAO:

I think it might have been a standard "if you keep doing that you'll go blind!" type of warning. :LOL:

Don't get me wrong about the ironing, I'm a 98% "wash 'n wear" person too. I use it mostly for guests, the tablecloths. I have a bunch of old old, very worn-out linen napkins that I only use for me (due to the frayed edges). When they are finally all done in the laundry, I iron them all at once. Only other time I use it now-a-days is when I'm sewing - and I don't even sew very much anymore due to astigmatism with my eyes.

Remember the wire soap saver for hand washing delicate items in the kitchen sink or the grater for making laundry soap flakes.

With the soap saver you put a chunk of soap in the cage and swished it around in a sink full of hot water to make a few bubbles. My grandmother used to put all of the small scraps of ivory soap bars in it and use them to wash dishes. The good old days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

dfb50278750e3d707cf220ee4a7b54c1.jpg

Thanks so much for the photo. I really enjoyed seeing it.

Reading by flashlight under the bed covers. ;)

My mother finally gave up. I would read until I finally fell asleep. My mother would come in, put the marker on the page, turn out my lamp, and I never would even hear her. She finally figured out that it would only take about 15 minutes until I fell asleep.

As long as I didn't keep them awake, my parents didn't care if I stayed up half the night in my room. Sometimes I would read, other times I would put headphones on and listen to music. As long as I didn't in any way interfere with my parent's pursuit of happiness, I could do pretty much whatever I wanted to do. Ignorance is bliss.

CD

Who thought it was a good idea to put long ice skate blades on a mechanic's creeper, put on a dinky helmet, and hurl themselves head first down an icy track at about 60 MPH? :ermm: :ohmy:

Skeleton racers are certifiable...:wacko:

...or does anyone else suddenly want a tasty meringue cookie every time they hear the name of France's president? :huh:

220px-Macarons%2C_French_made_mini_cakes.JPG

Macarons are all the rage, it seems. There is actually a dedicated store at our local mall -- le Macaron.

As for the French president, it seems he and the Donald have a bit of a bromance going on. Could it be a shared love of KFC and well-done steaks? I'll have to keep an eye on the supermarket tabloids.

CD :LOL:

I read the book Jaws and it didn't bother me.

Then they brought out the movie...

I even look behind me in swimming pools.

Lesson - my brain will accept only what it can handle in the words. Someone else's visual translation imprints, scares the scales right off me.

Well, you could mangle your fingers in one if not careful. Did you Google any pix of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1AAVbmSBU

When I spent the summer in NH my husband worked in the kitchen as one of the chefs. I worked downstairs using a mangle iron for all the tablecloths and napkins.

The machine I used was a bit larger than the typical home model. And I also had the option of a knee pedal or a foot pedal. I preferred the foot pedal. They also had a small one that I used mostly for the napkins. It did the work faster than the big one. This one is a home model. Notice that she has placed it on top of a wooden table.

So while both of us were inside working, the kids were outside swimming in the lake or Spike was taking free flying lessons. There was an airplane that used the lake as their runway for takeoff and landing. They took tourists on one hour flights to see NH from above. When the plane was idle, they took Spike up for some lessons. He still has his log book. When the weather was bad, and the plane owners weren't around, he would hang out with me and I taught him how to iron. I let him do all the napkins on the small one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom