"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #491
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It is strange. Maybe they do it so they can avoid spam. You'd think Gmail would work too.

We have a poltergeist. The fridge/freezer light hasn't worked for over two weeks. Yesterday it worked three times, so it's not that the bulbs burned out. And then our DirectTv satellite dish kept resetting our TVs. The events didn't go on at the same time. Today, no fridge lights, but DTV has worked just fine.
I know the feeling Dawg. I have named mine. Her name is Margaret. My oven light burned out. I put it on my list every month, and kept forgetting to buy it. I even asked Spike to pick up an appliance bulb for the oven. They are often sold separately from ones for other appliances. They have to be able to withstand the heat of the oven. Every so often I would throw the switch, no light. I can only guess that Margaret knew I wasn't too happy with her hanging around my kitchen. I tried the oven switch, and lo and behold, it worked! Good ole Margaret knew she was in trouble and decided to stop playing games with me. She is not a bad ghost. She doesn't toss things around and break them. But she does make my life interesting. Specially in the kitchen.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #492
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Check to see if the bulb is loose. Sometimes just the open/close action will make it just loose enough that sometimes you'll have contact, sometimes not. And we've heard your stories about the reliability of your satellite dish. Maybe a ghost, maybe not.

I think we have one, too. We have a battery-operated candle in the family room. You screw it in tight to the base so the battery is "on", you unscrew it to turn it off. When we came back from OH last month, the light was on and flickering (it DOES have a flicker bulb). I unscrewed it plenty. Last night I went into the family room to get a coaster from the end table drawer...and the danged thing was lit again! Either a ghost or some really strong, screwy gravity.
Sing along please.
Do do do do, do do do do.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 AM   #493
Master Chef

Crickets. They sure are loud for such little critters.

(Just came inside from sitting out on the patio. )
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #494
Master Chef

Why is it that every time I read the word "organic" my mind's eye adds the letter "s" between the "a" and the "n"...which reads like an "m"???
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #495
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Heh. On another cooking forum, a poster requested favorite bar recipes that could be frozen. Logically to my mind, I suggested lime and strawberry daquiris, margaritas, and bourbon slushes. Then I realized that it's a North Dakota recipe forum, and bars mean baked goods! Oops.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #496
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Heh. On another cooking forum, a poster requested favorite bar recipes that could be frozen. Logically to my mind, I suggested lime and strawberry daquiris, margaritas, and bourbon slushes. Then I realized that it's a North Dakota recipe forum, and bars mean baked goods! Oops.
Your mind is stuck in Mexico
Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 PM   #497
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Your mind is stuck in Mexico

Indeed. I was mocked a bit, but the OP did admit she wasn't clear, and plans to try some of my frozen (booze) bar recipes!

Only in NoDak. We are Canadian nice.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #498
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Indeed. I was mocked a bit, but the OP did admit she wasn't clear, and plans to try some of my frozen (booze) bar recipes!

Only in NoDak. We are Canadian nice.
Score!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #499
Chef Extraordinaire

Every few months or so I buy some Wise brand 'tater chips. They are salted just right, and every so often you even find a burnt one. (my favorite ones) This month I bought MB (house brand) ripple ones. Other than for dips, I now remember why I don't care for ripples. Hopefully I will remember this months lesson until a dip comes along to go with them.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #500
Certified Pretend Chef

Have you ever noticed how corn on the cob husks smell like cut grass?
OR
That cut grass smells like corn on the cob husks?