"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #1121
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
In order to use my cellphone, I have it set up to require me to unlock it with my fingerprint. You can set up multiple fingers, or multiple users, or both. I thought "if they can do this with my phone, why can't car manufacturers do it with the ignition? A driver would need both the key/keyfob and a recognized fingerprint in order to get the car to start".

Some kind of set-up like that could prevent thieves stealing cars...from dingbats who leave the keys in the cup holder...and don't lock their car doors.

Heck, those people deserve to have their cars stolen.
It would need something to test that the finger was still attached to the person. That makes the technology trickier.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 AM   #1122
Chef Extraordinaire

I never thought of that, taxy. And I'm the one always reading murder mysteries!

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 AM   #1123
Executive Chef

"A light shines that it may find you". "A light shines that you may find it".

Which of these words to write attached to a small blinking helium balloon which floats up and all around and eventually comes to rest?

This is stray thoughts...right?
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #1124
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It would need something to test that the finger was still attached to the person. That makes the technology trickier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I never thought of that, taxy. And I'm the one always reading murder mysteries!
It could test for electrical activity and heat as well as the pattern of the fingerprint.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #1125
Executive Chef

A movie I saw had a character killed, eyeball removed and then used to open a lock with retinal scanner. Not sure the distance traveled between body and scanner but it must have been significant, otherwise why remove the eye, just hold up the body and open the eye.

I was curious and asked my optometrist if she thought it would work. She said maybe if the time lapse was not too long - otherwise the eyeball would be 'dead'.

Just wondered...
Old 04-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #1126
Executive Chef

Ice should be banned... not firearms.

Much much more dangerous!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #1127
Chef Extraordinaire

Joke....
Said to a woman….

"What would you say if your husband brought home another woman?"

Answer "I hope she cooks!"
Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #1128
Chef Extraordinaire

So much going on this morning. Time for my yearly checkup for the apartment. I desperately need drip pans for the stove. On the way!!!

Getting the whole apartment painted again. Yea!!!

But the best news is TA DA!!! Due to my handicap, management is unable to build me a raised lot to grow veggies in. Legal Responsibility, There will be four very large pots on a low table and I can at least plant two-four plants in each pot. Yea. I can grow my own salad ingredients.

The world is brighter today than it was yesterday.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #1129
Chef Extraordinaire

Stray Thoughts 2.0

Our sidewalks are being taken over by these bikes and scooters.... they're everywhere now, like roaches...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	34606
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #1130
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Our sidewalks are being taken over by these bikes and scooters.... they're everywhere now, like roaches...
Attachment 34606
They scooters are still in the experimental stage in just a couple of cities here. So far, not Eastie. But the city sponsors the bikes, so it is doubtful they would sponsor the scooters also.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #1131
Certified Pretend Chef

Hands down, the simplest AND most effective way to hard boil eggs is the Serious Eats method. They are perfectly cooked and with every egg I've peeled using their version the shell practically jumped off the egg.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #1132
Executive Chef

Eggs? Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the Kings horses and all the Kings men, couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Eggs.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #1133
Executive Chef

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfall.GIF
Views:	18
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	34713  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #1134
Chef Extraordinaire

Childrenese

When my children were just learning to talk, they use the language we called "Childrenese". Example:

Oh Mommy, you make the bestist Cherrios of anyone.

I lost my toothers. It fellded on the floor and now the toothers fairy won't come. There were times when I had not one inkling of what they were trying to say.

Mommy can I have some more trees to eat? It took me a couple of seconds to figure that one out. Broccoli.

I pushdid, hitted, her.

Ha, ha, I am the babyist so I get it and not you.

Fortunately, they did learn to speak the English language like we all do.

I remember their father telling me that the Queen would have a heart attack if she ever heard our children talking. It was bad enough when I had to translate what he was saying to them, but also what they were trying to say to him. I made the mistake of telling him to never give up his native language or the words he grew up with. (Scottish) No wonder my kids had trouble with language.

I did have to draw the line with hubby's favorite word. "Bloody." I knew what it meant to an Englishman, and was afraid the kids would use it not understanding that to another Englishman, it was considered a swear word not to be used in mixed company.

Three of my kids had Mrs. Turk for fourth grade. All of them would deliberately use some of their father's words from his childhood. She once called me to ask if they were born in this country. That call came right after Spike told her he needed a rubber. (Eraser)

Get the idea? So what words did your kids add to the Childrenese languager. Who knows? We may develop a whole new dictionary. We just may outdo the Oxford Dictionary.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #1135
Executive Chef

Addie wrote:
Quote:
Get the idea? So what words did your kids add to the Childrenese languager. Who knows? We may develop a whole new dictionary. We just may outdo the Oxford Dictionary.
I don’t have kids, of course. When I was a toddler, there were two words that I baby-ized. “Ludge,” for “love.” And for some reason I called my grandpa’s huge reel-to-reel Wollensack tape recorder a “copywater.”
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #1136
Executive Chef

My son, when a small fry, called his blanket a munket.. Only my daughter and I are left of our original family and we still call our favorite throw a munket..
Everyone else thinks we are weird..

Ross
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #1137
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
My son, when a small fry, called his blanket a munket.. Only my daughter and I are left of our original family and we still call our favorite throw a munket..
Everyone else thinks we are weird..

Ross

I picked up a word from a friend's kid. "Fidgicator" for refrigerator. I still use it. So does my DH. He met that kid when the "kid" was about 25.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #1138
Chef Extraordinaire

I use Childrenese every chance I can get. I even have the medical staff at Lewis Mall using it.

Some of the stroke patients use it out of necessity.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 AM   #1139
Executive Chef

Musical chairs was a children's game that was obviously meant to prepare you for the real world to come. I got it sorta, but didn't like it.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #1140
Master Chef

Stray thought... I just watched a YouTube chain restaurant steak comparison. They ordered sirloin to make everything even. They had Applebee's, Sizzler, Outback, Chili's and Texas Roadhouse.

The only one I would even think about eating is the Texas Roadhouse, and they even judged it to be the most tender, juicy and beefy... Then they selected Outback??!!

It is a California based YouTube channel, and all my friends out there like Outback. I can't believe people in Cali would eat an 8-ounce piece of Outback shoe leather, and like it. I missed the memo somewhere along the line.

CD