Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "Future Rise in Bacon Prices?" Ours have been going up for several years. $5.00 and $6.00 a pound is not uncommon anymore.

And the first time I ever heard of "fried Baloney" sandwiches, all I could say was "Wha!!! yuck"

I think fried is the best way to eat baloney. As a kid, we would have it as a breakfast meat on occasion. Not my favourite, but pretty good once in a while. I haven't had it in decades. I don't remember having fried baloney on sandwiches.

I'm reminded of a story some friends told me. They were discussing which foods are good when you are broke. One of the white people mentioned "cowboy steak", a fried slice of baloney. After the nods and grunts of agreement, one of the Miꞌkmaq people replied, "That's for when you have money. When you're broke, it's salmon."

In my region of the USA Bologna is common and used in many ways. As a sandwich it may be on toasted bread dressed with a bit of mayo mixed with yellow mustard and accompanied by a slice of yellow cheese.

If the bologna is thick sliced it may have a cut on four sides so it will lay flat in the frying pan and brown evenly. If thin sliced, an "X" cut in the center so it will fry evenly and not break up when lifted out of the skillet.

I've tried this with bacon flavored rub. You may see all of the different flavors of Spam which can be sliced down the side to make what looks like square slices of bologna. The most unique bologna flavor I find here is plain or garlic. So the Spam does offer some variety.

I was once served "baloney stew" in Newfoundland. To say that I was skeptical of what this would be like would be kind. But, much to my surprise, it was quite delicious.

Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna a whole different, and wonderful product. It more resembles a large salami, but is about the same size as regular bologna food in supermarkets.

According to Wikipedia, "Lebanon bologna is a type of cured, smoked and fermented semidry sausage. Made of beef, it is similar in appearance and texture to salami, though somewhat darker in color. Typically served as a cold cut or appetizer, Lebanon bologna has a distinct tangy flavor, more so than other generally similar fermented meat products such as summer sausage. Hardwood smoking imparts a strong smokiness to the traditionally prepared versions of the product; increasingly, liquid smoke is used as a substitute[citation needed] for this costly time- and labor-intensive process."

It can be ordered on-line, but can be also found in good meat markets, along with Mortadella, the original from which bologna was created.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, at my Kroger store they cut up the Lebanon Bologna and put it out in one pound bags pre sliced. It is partly a convenience for the customers who may buy it on an impulse faster and then it's marked down 1/2 price fairly quickly after that. It keeps the stock rotating quickly and people who may not otherwise buy it (not knowing what it would taste like or if they would like it) will buy & try at the lower price.

I just picked up a .75 pound pack of it for $2.50 the other day. I like it but have to go easy on it. LOL When my ol Tom Cat was alive he could always tell when I had been eating it. He used to get right up in my face for a smell of it but he liked cheese and real thin Carl Budding meat best of all.

Last edited:
LOL, CG - and once upon a time there was no such thing as dog and cat food in the stores - they only ate whatever was given them, scraps left over from the table!

Bologna can also be chopped to make a sandwich spread. This is often found in deli sections of the Midwest. It's usually a mix of bologna, sweet pickle relish, minced onion, and Miracle Whip style salad dressing. To me, it's better than deviled ham any day.

In reality, there is not much difference between bologna, and a skinless hot dog. Pretty much, anywhere you can use a hot dog, you can use bologna.

Bologna is also great when rolled around a tube of string cheese, secured with toothpicks, and gently fried before placing in a toasted hot dog bun.

Try slicing thick slices, and adding to pork and beans, or baked beans. It's yummy.

I once had balogna stew at someone's house in Newfoundland. I would have turned my nose up at it, but that would have been too rude. It was really yummy. I'm glad I was polite.

Bologna can also be chopped to make a sandwich spread. This is often found in deli sections of the Midwest. It's usually a mix of bologna, sweet pickle relish, minced onion, and Miracle Whip style salad dressing. To me, it's better than deviled ham any day.

In reality, there is not much difference between bologna, and a skinless hot dog. Pretty much, anywhere you can use a hot dog, you can use bologna.

Bologna is also great when rolled around a tube of string cheese, secured with toothpicks, and gently fried before placing in a toasted hot dog bun.

Try slicing thick slices, and adding to pork and beans, or baked beans. It's yummy.

That sounds good Chief!

K-Girl, it's hilarious that that concoction is sold as "ham salad". Rarely does it include actual ham.

My Mom had another name for it. Needless to say, we never had it in our home.

K-Girl, it's hilarious that that concoction is sold as "ham salad". Rarely does it include actual ham.

My Mom had another name for it. Needless to say, we never had it in our home.

Is this what it's suppose to look like?

Monkey-Meat.jpg
(photo credit iwashyoudry.com)

I might like this as a dip with crackers, but I'm not sure about a sandwich spread. :stuart:

K-Girl, Mom's name for it wasn't exactly Monkey "Meat"...

Note to self: it's easier to pull your jeans up if you aren't standing on the hem of one of the legs...

Is this what it's suppose to look like?

View attachment 49357
(photo credit iwashyoudry.com)

I might like this as a dip with crackers, but I'm not sure about a sandwich spread. :stuart:

In the Philippines, street vendors sold monkey meat on a stick, which in reality was pork kabobs with a sweet BBQ sauce. It was very tasty.

There were many parents back in Subic City who would have liked to see real monkey meat on a stick:ohmy:, as real monkeys would invade the outdoor lunch areas of the school and steal kids lunches. They could get quite mean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom