Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been seeing more and more electric cars, yes, even here in Cowboyville.
A stray thought struck me, isn't alot of the electricity in the US produced with fossil fuels? Doesn't that kinda make owning an EC a moot point? Just a thought ... *shrug*

I have thought about that too. The upside is that once the electricity is being produced in a sustainable way, the cars are already there and ready. More people buying electric cars means that more companies see the point of making them, both better and cheaper. And, there have to be places that already use renewable energy sources to make that electricity. Here in Canada it makes a lot of sense. I think most of our electricity is hydro electric. We often refer to our electricity supply simply as "hydro".

This should be under Petty Vents, but speaking of Hydro, Quebec and Ontario produce so much hydro we actually sell it to the States...

So why are our rates so bloody high?

My son has an E-car. He loves it. Not for long distance, at least for now, but for daily work and runs to the store, yup.

Last edited:
This should be under Petty Vents, but speaking of Hydro, Quebec and Ontario produce so much hydro we actually sell it to the States...

So why are our rates so bloody high?

I think our rates are a fair bit cheaper than the electricity rates in the US are. I won't swear to it though. I know a lot of people here get annoyed that we sell the electricity to US utility companies for less than what we pay as home consumers, but there's a difference between wholesale and retail prices.

That may be taxy, but I've always believed in "Charity Starts At Home".

The moral of that was, if it doesn't, how can you be truly charitable outside the home.

I've been seeing more and more electric cars, yes, even here in Cowboyville.

A stray thought struck me, isn't alot of the electricity in the US produced with fossil fuels? Doesn't that kinda make owning an EC a moot point? Just a thought ... *shrug*
This question doesn't have a quick and easy answer, but here is some information about the use of fossil fuels in the United States and the future of electric car technology. They are more fuel-efficient to run, so even though they use fossil fuel for the electricity, driving an electric car doesn't add emissions to the air and uses less energy overall.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_benefits.html

We are investing in companies that are developing electric charging stations because they are the infrastructure of the future. Electric cars and city buses and other vehicles are becoming more common, especially in Europe, where major destinations are closer together and people are already accustomed to using public transportation. We will catch up.

There is more than meats the eye with electric cars. As long as we are using current lithium battery technology, we will not have a sustainable solution. Lithium is mined in one of the South American countries, and that country strictly regulates the supply. There is transport cost, and pollutants generated by that transport of lithium as well. Also, there are pollutants generated by the factories that make the batteries, and those companies that provide electrical generation. Fortunately, new alloys are being tested that hold promise for better batteries. Also, super capacitors can be used for electical storage, instead of batteries, or both batteries and capacitors can be used. Hydrogen fuel cells are being studied intensely in Japan. The fuel cells generate electricity with hydrogen, again freeing us from using lithium. There are answers, but we aren't there yet. What scares me is that non-scientific people are making laws, and policies that are contrary to intellegent planning strategies (politicians). For instance, Washington state does not have sufficeint electrical generating power to maintain the existing load demands of the state. Yet, they have passed laws making gas powered vehicles, lawn mowers, home generators, etc. unable to be purchased, used, or licenced. When it goes into effect, there will not be sufficeint infrastructure to power all of the vehicles needing electricity to charge the batteries. In my opinion, the engineering, and scientific community should be in charge of rolling out feasable solutions, not politicians.

As for renewable energy, hydro, wind, solar, and distributed power all need to be employed, as well as more robust public transportation. If people were to build well insulated buildings, and homes, and were allowed to put renewable energy devices on their roofs, and propertirs, that would reduce electricity demand substantially. And hydro can be done in ways that don't dam up rivers, keeping fish from their spawning grounds.

Oh, I could go on, and on. Now, if we could just get countries to invest in solving problems, and healing our planet, instead of fighting eac other. I know, I'm living in a dream world, hoping that our speceis could ever evolve into something intelligent, and benificial. Ah well, it's a good dream.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Who comes up with these?
Tomorrow is National Seed Swap Day Jan 28
Fri 20th was National Penguin Day
This is about as close as I get to seed swapping these days.

1674824049311.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom