"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2015, 02:37 AM   #61
Master Chef

Thanks for the advice, PF...after I stripped the bed, did two loads of laundry, and made supper.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks for the advice, PF...after I stripped the bed, did two loads of laundry, and made supper.
Sorry, I took my aching bones out for a total day shopping trip, the Ogre is still trying to sleep it off.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #63
Head Chef

Maybe I should have put this in the Petty Vents thread -- anyway, I bought some 'good' dishtowels to replace my old ones that I've always bleached in the wash. These new ones, white with a green stripe, came with that little tag telling how to care for them. It warns me not to bleach them. C'mon now. Generally speaking, 'they' also don't want me to bleach colored sheets or bathtowels, probably so the colors won't fade. Here is the stray thought that brought this mini-rant on -- can't help but wonder if some of our germ problems stem from no longer bleaching these items as our mothers did when white sheets, white kitchen towels, white underwear, etc. were the norm. (I wish I had a dinosaur Smilie to use.)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #64
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Maybe I should have put this in the Petty Vents thread -- anyway, I bought some 'good' dishtowels to replace my old ones that I've always bleached in the wash. These new ones, white with a green stripe, came with that little tag telling how to care for them. It warns me not to bleach them. C'mon now. Generally speaking, 'they' also don't want me to bleach colored sheets or bathtowels, probably so the colors won't fade. Here is the stray thought that brought this mini-rant on -- can't help but wonder if some of our germ problems stem from no longer bleaching these items as our mothers did when white sheets, white kitchen towels, white underwear, etc. were the norm. (I wish I had a dinosaur Smilie to use.)
Completely agree, didn't have problems with "Superbugs" until we started using antibotics to clean with and stopped using Bleach and the original Lysol.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I agree and would add that it helped to hang them outside on the line to let them flap around in the fresh air and sunshine for a few hours!

I still use a couple of those old calendar towels from the late sixties and early seventies, they are frayed and faded, sorta like me!

Keep a couple pretty dish towels to put out on holidays or when company comes and bleach the rest of them!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef

I do a separate washer load for my kitchen towels and wash cloths. I add bleach to the load. Half way through the wash cycle, I shut the washer off for an hour to soak. then I always do a double rinse before drying.

I keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach for cleaning the counter tops. Dish soap is not anti-bacterial.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

The Pirate needed a copy of his driving record. You can now get it as long as you have a computer for only $6.00. They send a copy of your record right to your computer to print out as many copies as you need. Saves a trip to in town in this stinking snow and weather. I don't even know if the Registry is even staffed right now. State workers that are not of importance have been told they can stay home with pay. Unfortunately, my daughter is not in that group. A new worry. Her driving to and from work every day. And it is not nearby.

Some days I feel like my life is a nightmare. Today is one of those days.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree and would add that it helped to hang them outside on the line to let them flap around in the fresh air and sunshine for a few hours!

I still use a couple of those old calendar towels from the late sixties and early seventies, they are frayed and faded, sorta like me!

Keep a couple pretty dish towels to put out on holidays or when company comes and bleach the rest of them!
I don't use bleach routinely in the wash but I do wash bedding and towels on the hottest 90degree wash. Bleach does more harm to the environment than boiling water.

I have a friend who, when her children were young, was an obsessive cleaner. When I went to see her the smell of bleach from the bathroom and the kitchen would take my breathe away before I even stepped over the threshold. She wiped down all surfaces in the house with disinfectant every day including a polished mahogany table.

I have never come across a family who had more vomiting and diarrhoea episodes in my entire life! There is such a thing as being TOO clean!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #69
Master Chef

How can one average-size head with average-size sinuses produce so much yuck...
Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #70
Master Chef

This occurred to me when I was coming home from a few, last-minute, pre-storm errands: It's snowing, the roads are covered, the piles of snow at the sides of the road are like mountains, and I'm driving a white car. I must look like a moving snowbank!