Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can't diss the dandelion. They're the honeybees' and hummingbird's first food in the spring, as well as the harbingers of morels, which I've had yet to find.

DH is obsessed with plucking dandelion flowers on our yard when we're walking Beagle. My feeling is that they'll disappear soon.
I don't mind the flower, it's more the seed head after the flower is gone. All it means is more dandelions, and we have plenty! Clover I don't mind, since it's low to the ground and stays green. I also feel sorry for crab grass. Why hate on something that grows flat enough you don't have to cut often, and stays green no matter how dry the weather gets? Crab grass needs a better publicity agent. :LOL:

We have a so-called landscaper living across from us, his yard is a field of dandelions, as are most of our other neighbors' yards. I figure we're fighting a losing battle.

Need to do a bit of research on dandelion wine and other recipes.

We have a so-called landscaper living across from us, his yard is a field of dandelions, as are most of our other neighbors' yards. I figure we're fighting a losing battle.

Need to do a bit of research on dandelion wine and other recipes.

Find an old Italian woman and she will clean the yard and your neighbors of all dandelions. They cook up the greens as if it were spinach. :angel:

Find an old Italian woman and she will clean the yard and your neighbors of all dandelions. They cook up the greens as if it were spinach. :angel:

We have very few old Italian women around here, but you just reminded me about the greens, Addie! We don't spray, but many people do, so I'd only trust the ones in our lawn.

An Adventure I Simply Do Not Like

Here I am at 2 a.m. on the very last adventure of my life. It is called "Getting Old." And I do not like it. Heart disease, diabetes, thyroid, every joint in my body aches. This is not how I planned my old age. I wanted to be able to work until I was 72. Then do volunteer work with the Boston Ballet Company and the Boston Symphony. I would be able to attend all of their presentation for free. Well, I had to quit work at 64. A massive heart attack will do that for you. Into the OR for open heart surgery.

I tried going back to work four weeks after surgery. Doing the work was the easy part. Sitting at a computer a half day typing up the program for Sunday services. That was a no brainer. But between the travel via public transportation and then back home left me exhausted. So I had to quit. I hated doing it. But it was causing me more heart problems. So for the first time I listened to my doctor. I find myself doing that more and more now.

Today I am on 14 different medications every day. I am in such pain some days, that I spend more time in bed than not. If I had taken this trip in my 30's or 40's and then knowing I was going to have to take it again later in life, I doubt I could have done it. If it weren't for the pain medication, I don't know what I would do.

Each day I find I am doing less and less. Only if someone asks something of me do I make the effort to fill their request. It gets me moving.

Okay. Back to the kitchen and clean the clams. :angel:

I asked Pirate if he had my cigarette lighter? :wacko: "No, use this antique one." He tossed me a book of matches. :angel:

I like dandelions. I'm not the only one. They were intentionally imported from Europe for colonists who missed them.

This dandelion is from Germany.

I found one last year at the local flea market, it hangs in my cluttered kitchen. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

535388_1_l.jpg

We have very few old Italian women around here, but you just reminded me about the greens, Addie! We don't spray, but many people do, so I'd only trust the ones in our lawn.
I have tried cooking dandelion greens. They were very bitter, so we thought they were nasty. Yes, I parboiled them first.

Luckily, no one sprays them here. It's a municipal bylaw that you can't spray pesticides or herbicides unless you have an infestation and then you need a permit and have to put little signs.

What is it about different forums, (not DC). and how nasty people can be to each other? I belong to several different forums, and I'm appalled at all the sniping that goes on, even between so-called "experts", AKA "moderators", as well as the regular members.

I'm ever so appreciative of DC and its civility!

Last edited:
I can't figure out how folks can have time for more than one forum.

Now when someone decides to make me their whipping post of the day, I do not responds. Nothing like "Love your enemy. It will drive them crazy." Works for me. And if they insist, they go on my "Ignore" list. So if you don't get a response, you know where you went. :angel:

Beagle has been sitting on the couch arm in our sunroom, watching the same rabbit for at least 45 minutes. True dedication.

I have a feeling that if Beagle caught a wabbit, she would hug it and squeeze it and call it her squooshie.

Same with cats.

Last edited:
A few pages ago someone was talking about sandwiches.

I want to know why I can't seem to buy a well made sandwich anything like I make. Just for an example, a simple ham and cheese sandwich should start with perfectly toasted bread completely spread with mayo from edge to edge, not just squirted on willy nilly. Then the seperated thin ham slices must cover every bit of the bread, not thrown on in a blob of balled up thin ham slices in the middle of the bread...grr. Then the cheese should cover every square inch of the perfectly placed ham slices, and pickle slices should cover all the cheese from edge to edge. One layer of sliced ripe tomatoes should cover all of the layers along with only one layer of a lettuce, not three or four. The toasted bread top should also be completely spread with mayo like the bottom half. I'm so sick of paying good money for every sort of carelessly made sandwiches made in restaurants these days!! I'm sending them back from now on!! :mad:

While I'm venting, I'm reminded of why I don't buy pizza anymore. The knuckleheads who make it don't know how to cover a pizza evenly with the toppings.:mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom