Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why doesn't Purina and other pet food manufactures make mouse-flavored cat food?

Maybe they can't pay anyone enough to taste-test it yet.

Just sayin'.

Have any of you caught the Frontline show on PBS called "The Trouble With Chicken"? It is on PBS this week. I have always washed my hands, in what I thought was thorough. But thinking back, I need to do a better job. I will have a germicidal wipe in my hand when I go to open the fridge door, or turn on a faucet or open a drawer to retrieve a needed tool.

What good is washing your hands thoroughly, when you have to turn on the faucet with chicken yuk on your hands. So you wash your hands real good, then reach for the faucet handle to shut the water off. The faucet handle still has chicken yuk on it from when you turned on the faucet. If I am handling chicken, I will handle only chicken until I am completely done. When I am preparing the chicken for the freezer, I will do all the cutting and trimming first. Then I will wash my hands and then I can pull the plastic wrap with clean hands. I will also start using my tongs to move the chicken from pile to the wrap. I will make a very strong concerted effort to not handle the chicken with my bare hands.

There is a lot more I could do and I will try. I wish they made rubber gloves in children sizes. I have a couple of medical ones that I got at Winthrop. And I have been using them for when I have to immerse my hands in cleaning solutions. They fit pretty good. The fingers are just a wee bit too long. So I looked them up and a box of them are really inexpensive. For less that $20 I can get a container of 160 germicidal wipes and a box of 200 hundred gloves.

I will also make sure I really cook that chicken thoroughly. Enough so that I know it is safe to eat, but not cook so long as to make it dry and unappetizing. I am at that age where they say "young children and the elderly are at risk." :angel:

A few pages ago someone was talking about sandwiches.

I want to know why I can't seem to buy a well made sandwich anything like I make. Just for an example, a simple ham and cheese sandwich should start with perfectly toasted bread completely spread with mayo from edge to edge, not just squirted on willy nilly. Then the seperated thin ham slices must cover every bit of the bread, not thrown on in a blob of balled up thin ham slices in the middle of the bread...grr. Then the cheese should cover every square inch of the perfectly placed ham slices, and pickle slices should cover all the cheese from edge to edge. One layer of sliced ripe tomatoes should cover all of the layers along with only one layer of a lettuce, not three or four. The toasted bread top should also be completely spread with mayo like the bottom half. I'm so sick of paying good money for every sort of carelessly made sandwiches made in restaurants these days!! I'm sending them back from now on!! :mad:

While I'm venting, I'm reminded of why I don't buy pizza anymore. The knuckleheads who make it don't know how to cover a pizza evenly with the toppings.:mad:

+1, on every point. I love a good sandwich. :LOL: The half-hearted ways that many restaurants make them is disappointing. I love making sandwiches at home and sometimes they're my dinner. I usually have a few different kinds of breads and goodies, and more than willing to take the time to make a really good sandwich. YUM!

At least I know I'm not going to just squirt a line of mayo and mustard on one slice of bread and call it good. :ohmy::glare: :LOL:

Last edited:
DH refuses to make his own sandwiches anymore. "You make them so much better!"

Con artist.

Last edited:

Con artist.

Haha. That's just what my daughter and grandson said this afternoon. Sometimes sammies are just better when someone else makes them. :LOL:

Con artist.

Haha. That's just what my daughter and grandson said this afternoon. Sometimes sammies are just better when someone else makes them. :LOL:

I'm still on a rant. ;)

The only reason others would think you make better sandwiches, is you make them with care that every bite should be the same throughout the sandwich.

True, it takes some basic thought, but a well made sandwich can be put together as fast as a poorly made one in a restaurant. It's not rocket science or cooking skills, it's just simply caring about what you're doing.
It's outrageous the prices that are charged for badly made sandwiches simply because they get away with it. :furious:

DH also applies his same philosophy to salads. I have a feeling someone is trying to get out of making lunch.

...It's not rocket science or cooking skills, it's just simply caring about what you're doing...
Ay, there's the rub. People no longer care. It's so easy to do it slap-dash. After all, what is the chance that person will have to service you again?

I swear I unpack and repack my grocery bags every time I leave the store. WHY do they have to put my tomatoes on the bottom???

Ay, there's the rub. People no longer care. It's so easy to do it slap-dash. After all, what is the chance that person will have to service you again?

I swear I unpack and repack my grocery bags every time I leave the store. WHY do they have to put my tomatoes on the bottom???

Because the tomatoes go with the bread down there for your sandwiches. :angel:

My Stray Thought for the Day

Now that the snow is gone and I can get outside with my scooter, time for me (the next time I go shopping) to buy and bring my monthly donation to our local food bank at the church up the street. A perfect excuse to get me out in the fresh air. Then when the weather hit the high 70's, time for me to go over to the beach and watch the airplanes take off while I sit and do my sewing. :angel:

Last edited:
All day I have been in pain. I either have a bad kidney infection or am constipated. I am going with the constipation. When I bang on my kidneys, no pain comes forth. But I can't figure out why I would be constipated. I didn't eat much yesterday. Just a half sandwich. Oh well. I see what happens tomorrow.

I did have a wireless keyboard. And I loved it. But I used it to death. All of a sudden it stopped working for me. Most of the numbers stopped. Having been trained to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard, most of them went out first. It was really hard for me to remember to use the numeric pad to the right.

So Spike brought me a wired keyboard with the notation of "Lets see how fast you can destroy this one." I am really hard on keyboards. This is about the eighth or ninth one I have destroyed in the past ten or more years.

Now I am having a devil of a time trying to learn this new board. It is much flatter than any I have ever had before. It sits below the wrist rest and I have to keep the board pushed back. And a lot of the "extra" keys I had on the other one are not on this one. Like the sound keys. If I am listening to music, sometime a song is louder than the previous. I have a headset, but hate to use it. And it has keys that I don't even know what they do.

Oh well, tomorrow I will be in a better mood. (I hope) :angel:

So looking forward to "Jurassic World"!! Not this weekend when it opens though. We'll wait a bit. I do plan to spring for the Imax thing though.

Last edited:
What a nice weekend I have had. I manage to find several B&W movies from the forties and fifties. I like the black and white one from then. The story lines hold my interest. I am definitely not a fan of Jerry Lewis and his antics. I switched that station real quick. Now it is getting late and I need to start to get ready for tomorrow morning. Have to get my new EBT card. :angel:

Halftime at The Q. Cavs down by two. Wondering how much longer will my basketball season last. Will it be just 24 more minutes? Or will we have one more game, Game Seven, to be played on Friday in Oakland?

All I know is that last year the Cavs final game of the season was on April 16th. Today is June 16th. For someone who thought the Cavs wouldn't even make the playoffs this year, these past two months have been a total bonus blast!

They make meat like products for vegetarians like veggie dogs, and veggie bacon, burgers etc...why don't they make products for people who don't like vegetables? Carrots made from pork, or chicken formed in the shape of cauliflower? I think it would sell...no?:glare::yum::yum:;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom