Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you put your face down, when you can't stop smiling???

I tried to smoosh it, but it didn't work!

I'm not getting this, but I'm glad you're smiling! :LOL:

I do have a tip I've learned, though. If you're 60 or over, never look down into a mirror. :ohmy: :( :LOL:

I'm not getting this, but I'm glad you're smiling! :LOL:

I do have a tip I've learned, though. If you're 60 or over, never look down into a mirror. :ohmy: :( :LOL:

I don't bother with mirrors any more! What I mean was that my face can't relax into anything but a smile, I am so happy!

I'm not 60 yet. I just had a birthday, will have to do the math, which others can attest to, has never been my strong suit. Oh well, who cares? :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm expecting some really hideous pictures of me to show up somewhere, courtesy of my dear brother with a big camera, whom I did not beat enough when he was a child. (BTW, I'm kidding.) Though I'm thinking of beating him now, just not in front of his kids.

I'm expecting some really hideous pictures of me to show up somewhere, courtesy of my dear brother with a big camera, whom I did not beat enough when he was a child. (BTW, I'm kidding.) Though I'm thinking of beating him now, just not in front of his kids.

Well, since all my kids are grown and my only sister gone, I have often thought of just finding some neighborhood kids and beating the heck out of them just for the share joy of it. I am sure on at least one day in the short little lives, they did something bad and never got caught. So it will be my pleasure to step in in lieu of the parents.

Just kidding folks. One of the questions asked of the Celebrity at the end of the session on Actors Studio is "What sound do you enjoy the most and What sound do you hate the most?" For me it is the sound of a child's giggle and the second would be the sound of a child crying. :angel:

I too did not beat my brother enough when he was a kid. He turned out okay though, just loves to harass his big sisters.

I was watching a documentary about the 400 years the Romans ruled Britain. I got to think of how much of England we here in Massachusetts have clung to our past. That Revolution War was not enough to make us change our language.

In legalese terms, we have clung to so many British expressions. All towns and cities are listed in the following manner. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, in the County of Suffolk, in the Shire of Boston. All towns and cities are referred to as "Shires." And old British term. And still used there today. We have so many towns that were named after towns in England. The rest are named after Native Americans or some of their words. But mostly English names. We even have a town named after King George III. The very King we fought against. This is true of most of the 13 Original Colonies. I have the feeling every time Queen Elizabeth came for a visit, she felt right at home.

A lot of our foods and dishes are from original recipes that came over from England. Yes, we do make Yorkshire Pudding with our roast beef. And I am sure there are many more that I can't think of right at this moment. :angel:

I love American History along with English History.

...The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, in the County of Suffolk, in the Shire of Boston. All towns and cities are referred to as "Shires." And old British term. And still used there today...

Addie, you got me. I don't remember hearing 'shire' used.

Addie, you got me. I don't remember hearing 'shire' used.

It is a legal term Andy. When I was a legal secretary, every document I typed the town or city was always referred to as "In the Shire of...." Also, all those towns that end in ...boro, the corrected legal spelling is always "Borough." As you are driving through the countryside and come up to Middleboro, Marlboro, etc. you will notice the correct spelling is Middleborough, and Marlborough, etc. And if they really wanted to drive the point home, those signs would read "The Shire of Middleborough." I had "In the Shire of" fixed in my computer so that I would just hit one key and it would put it in for me. I typed "In the Shire of" so much that today my fingers automatically type that phrase faster than any other time. :angel:

It is a legal term Andy....

...Also, all those towns that end in ...boro, the corrected legal spelling is always "Borough." As you are driving through the countryside and come up to Middleboro, Marlboro, etc. you will notice the correct spelling is Middleborough, and Marlborough, etc...

It must appear only in legal documents, Addie.

BTW, Attleboro is the only one that is not spelled "...borough". But North Attleborough is spelled with the "ough".

I was watching a documentary about the 400 years the Romans ruled Britain. I got to think of how much of England we here in Massachusetts have clung to our past....
Yup. As Himself is wont to say, the view of many here in Massachusetts is "If it was good enough for our great, great, great Grandfather, it's good enough for you". Some think that is quaint, others view it as archaic. :mrgreen:
...A lot of our foods and dishes are from original recipes that came over from England. Yes, we do make Yorkshire Pudding with our roast beef. And I am sure there are many more that I can't think of right at this moment....
In New England, yes. But each region has been strongly influenced by the immigrants that settled there. Growing up in OH, I never did see or hear a reference to Yorkshire Pudding. Now chocolate pudding? Yum. :yum:

It must appear only in legal documents, Addie.

BTW, Attleboro is the only one that is not spelled "...borough". But North Attleborough is spelled with the "ough".

Someone is the sign shop didn't know how to fully spell it. The borough is there for legal documents. Go figure. :angel:

Someone is the sign shop didn't know how to fully spell it. The borough is there for legal documents. Go figure. :angel:

The official website for the Commonwealth lists it correctly as Attleboro. Plenty of room on the website to use more letters if it was necessary.

Sports = Opening Day

With all the members we have, I am surprised that we do not have a "Sports" thread.

The opening day for the Red Sox is almost upon us. And this year it will be in Cleveland. I am not sure what team we are playing. I know Cooking Goddess is a baseball fanatic, but what is her favorite home team is, I have no idea. Of course I am always til death a Red Sox fan. Sorry CG. :angel:

Addie, if you paid attention to my posts :-p you would not be able to forget that I have been cheering for the Cleveland Indians since I was 8 years old. Come Monday, we'll be listening to the game while enjoying Great Lakes Brewing Company beer and slathering our hot dogs with Bertman's Original Ballpark Mustard.

Go ahead and cheer for your Red Sox, Addie. With Dave Dombrowski running the team, you guys have a great guy heading up the organization. Still, I have to say: Go Tribe!

Back
Top Bottom