Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love ironing a really stiff cotton shirt, collars as stiff as boards, then wearing it to a special event. Keeps your chin up.

My wife is so fastidious that she'll even iron your underwear.

Not always off.

I love ironing a really stiff cotton shirt, collars as stiff as boards, then wearing it to a special event. Keeps your chin up.

My wife is so fastidious that she'll even iron your underwear.

Not always off.

I hope she doesn't starch those underwear. :ohmy:

CD

LOL - the memories! I also used to iron the top 1/3 of the sheet (not the bottom fitted sheet tho :rolleyes:). I don't do it so much any more with my shoulder but will when readying a room for guests - even my sons and daughters.

When I was a kid my mom had a flat presser/roller. I would do my dad's hankerchiefs and the table napkins. Mom could do his shirts on the thing but I was forbidden. Think there was a way to lower the lid without the roller turning.
The huge tablecloths were also tricky and I couldn't manage them. It was left behind when we moved to Europe.

Actually looked into getting one back in the 80's but I believe the price of $600+ was a little over my budget for bedsheets. :ohmy: Hate to think the price now. :ROFLMAO:

Anyone remember bluing, and liquid starch? My late husband had a run-in with a wringer on the washer when he was a kid - had a nasty scar on the inside of his elbow joint.

Yes, I do remember putting them in the fridge. My grand-mother even ironed her sheets.

Me too. Along with my pillow cases. And I also ironed my husbands boxer short and tee shirts.

Come about 2:30 in the afternoon, the kids went down for a nap, and I opened the ironing board. I had an old wooden board that I paid 69 cents for. I found it in a church thrift shop. It had about 15 covers on it. I left them on and over the years, if I burnt a hole in one, or it needed some care, I would get out my stitch witchery tape and iron some old material I had left over from sewing projects. I would make those covers last for a couple of years each.

Yup, Starch and Bluing... you can still get them. Handy for a lot of crafts too. I used to use a Spray starch on my husbands shirts while ironing. Think I still have some "somewhere" in the jungle of the laundry room.

My husband went into the Navy soon after we were married. Boot camp, then assignment to meteorology school at an Air Force base in Illinois. I went with him and we rented a small apartment.

He had to wear the dungaree uniform to school every day - blue pants and a blue shirt, both of which were required to be ironed in a particular way, which he had learned in boot camp. On the day before the first day of class, he asked me to iron his clothes for school. I think I had ironed one leg when he said it was wrong - there could be no "railroad tracks" going down the front crease. So I handed him the iron and told him since he had the training, it was his job now. After that, he has always ironed his own clothes, unless he was in a hurry and needed help.

There are *so* many other things I'd rather do than iron. Underwear? Sheets? Sorry, no ;)

I've been ironing my own clothes since I was 14 years old. I made the mistake one day of saying to my mom, "That doesn't look hard. Can I try it?" The rest is history.

When I was newly divorced and poor, I had to wash and iron my own clothes. I learned to do it right. No creases at the edges of the collar or sleeves, no crease along the back of the yoke and sharp creases in the sleeves. It took me 11 minutes to iron a dress shirt. (I know, who times that stuff?)

With retirement, things have changed. I haven't had to lift an iron much at all and that's OK with me. Sheets and underwear? Not a chance.

My husband went into the Navy soon after we were married. Boot camp, then assignment to meteorology school at an Air Force base in Illinois. I went with him and we rented a small apartment.

He had to wear the dungaree uniform to school every day - blue pants and a blue shirt, both of which were required to be ironed in a particular way, which he had learned in boot camp. On the day before the first day of class, he asked me to iron his clothes for school. I think I had ironed one leg when he said it was wrong - there could be no "railroad tracks" going down the front crease. So I handed him the iron and told him since he had the training, it was his job now. After that, he has always ironed his own clothes, unless he was in a hurry and needed help.

There are *so* many other things I'd rather do than iron. Underwear? Sheets? Sorry, no ;)

When I lived in Tacoma, WA, I was manager of a housing complex. I only rented to folks from Ft. Lewis and McCord Air Force Base. So many of the wives were newlywed and I had to teach them how to iron their husband's uniform of the day.

As a side note, a few mothers gave birth. In the hospital today, out and home the next morning. I ended up teaching them how to properly nurse their babies, how to hold them, and so many other things. Like swaddling a crying baby. When I used the word "swaddling" I got a blank stare. Did their mothers teach them nothing?

I loved ironing when I was a kid. Guess whose mum was pleased with that. Even better, if I did a load of laundry and ironed it, I got paid two weeks' allowance, and it was extra to the allowance.

When I used to bring laundry to the laundromat in Copenhagen, I would use their mangles to iron sheets, tea towels, table cloths, etc.

I loved ironing when I was a kid. Guess whose mum was pleased with that. Even better, if I did a load of laundry and ironed it, I got paid two weeks' allowance, and it was extra to the allowance.

When I used to bring laundry to the laundromat in Copenhagen, I would use their mangles to iron sheets, tea towels, table cloths, etc.

I love a mangle ironer. I spent a summer working for a restaurant and did all their tablecloths and napkins with one. It was a lot of fun. The restaurant was right on Lake Winnapesauke in NH. So my kids had a ball swimming and Spike took flying lessons for free. In the meantime I just kept washing and ironing my tablecloths and napkins. And my husband was up in the kitchen on the salamander doing the steaks.

I knew someone who ironed bed sheets years ago. She is confined to a mental hospital now. Her family and friends (including me) tried to intervene, but she just kept on ironing bed sheets.

CD :D

Back
Top Bottom