Stream TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Have any of Y'all cut off cable tv, and tried all this new stream tv?

There are several diff. little boxes you can buy.. any thoughts?

I generally just watch local news that I could get on antenna, but also sports.

And also old movies on Turner and A&E.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I cut off my cable years ago and just use my :bunny: and a signal converter box on my ancient 500 pound TV.

I get a couple dozen channels for free and find that it is more than enough for me.

I've been without cable for quite a while now. Three or four years maybe.

The two biggest drawbacks, as you mention, are a lack of local channels and sports. A good quality digital antenna will get you both.

I haven't tried Stream TV, but haven't heard a lot of good things about it. I've used a similar service called PlayOn, and that's been spotty as well.

All of my in-home TV entertainment comes from a combination of these sources and services:
  1. A digital antenna. For local channels and sports.
  2. A Roku streaming media box. I absolutely love this thing, and it has replaced cable for me. It has hundreds of "channels", including Amazon Prime movies, Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, Pandora... the list is really quite long. It also streams services that show nothing but old movies, since you mentioned that's something you like. On top of that, it integrates with my Plex media server (more on that below).
  3. Plex Media Server. Over the last several years, I've transferred all of my DVD/Blu Ray/Music/Photos/Home Movies to digital format. I store it all on an external hard drive, so I can literally take it with me anywhere. I've also set up an app called Plex Media Server, which catalogs and organizes the content. Plex integrates with my Roku, so I can play all my media through the television. Another Plex plus: it includes several "channels", including CNN, PBS, and many more. Below are a couple of screen shots showing how the catalog looks.
  4. A computer. I have a micro computer I bought with an HDMI output that's connected to one of the inputs on my TV. There is so much streaming content on the internet, and sometimes the computer is the best option. Or, if I like, I can just sit and surf the internet on the big screen.

img_1457954_0_c4e666eb59367109336b8c68647c6e44.jpg

img_1457954_1_c5a6a9968a6f15d2cbd71d3a87340e5b.jpg

How do you connect your computer and other boxes to the world so you can get all this entertainment?

How do you connect your computer and other boxes to the world so you can get all this entertainment?

I bought an ethernet switch that connects everything to my WiFi router. Think of it like a network junction box. Basically, any device that's plugged into it can talk to all the other devices, as well as the internet. And since it's also connected to the WiFi router, any wireless device is also able to communicate with the devices plugged into the switch.

TL-SG105-01.jpg

Last edited:
There are way to many shows that would not be possible without cable or satellite.
My example is NFL football.
I live in SC but follow closely the Miami Dolphins.
I would not get to see any of their games without NFL Sunday Ticket.
I hear so many saying they have stopped paying for TV.
I could never see myself not paying for TV. Its cheaper than going to the movies and its recordable so you can watch when you want to watch.
I can search programs and select them for viewing or recording.
To many shows not available without a TV service.
IMO, Directv is the very best, even though its not free. I would not be without it.

You guys can keep Hulo and Netflix and other internet based TV.
And I also doubt I would be happy with the few available channels on terrestrial TV.
Sometime, one wants to watch something other than PBS and a hand full of local channels.
You can't watch "Gold Rush" or any other fun shows without paid programming packages.

Sorry, that's not what I meant, Steve. What is providing Wi-Fi to your router.

Oh, the router.... it's an all-in-one router provided by Comcast that has cable modem, WiFi, and a handful of ethernet connectors built in. It's a nice unit, actually. At my old house, I had to buy separate devices to have all this functionality.

You guys can keep Hulo and Netflix and other internet based TV.
And I also doubt I would be happy with the few available channels on terrestrial TV.
Sometime, one wants to watch something other than PBS and a hand full of local channels.
You can't watch "Gold Rush" or any other fun shows without paid programming packages.
Actually, that's not true at all. I can watch the first 5 seasons of Gold Rush on Hulu, and season 6 is on Daily Motion.

I guarantee there are very few shows you can watch on cable that I don't have access to somewhere. PlayOn alone has most of the popular cable shows. Here is the full list of channels. PlayOn, as I've mentioned, can be somewhat spotty at times, however.

Some of the shows produced outside of the US I can even watch before they air here. I remember my ex-wife being able to watch the British streams of Downton Abbey six months before they were broadcast in the US.

Sports I will concede can be a bit of a problem, though. ESPN has been better in the last year at providing content online.

Last edited:
Oh, the router.... it's an all-in-one router provided by Comcast that has cable modem, WiFi, and a handful of ethernet connectors built in. It's a nice unit, actually. At my old house, I had to buy separate devices to have all this functionality.

OK. You use cable for internet but not TV. That saves a ton. How does the cost of these other providers compare to Comcast for TV?

OK. You use cable for internet but not TV. That saves a ton. How does the cost of these other providers compare to Comcast for TV?

It's been awhile since I've done the math. But...

* Comcast internet: $59/mo
* HuluPlus: $8/mo
* NetFlix: $8/mo

My ongoing charge is about $76 a month. With cable I was paying about $180 a month. In fairness, we had most of the premium channel options.

Now, there are other things I had to pay for, but they aren't recurring charges:

* Amazon Prime is a yearly fee, plus if you watch non-prime movies (I don't very often) it's on a pay-per-view basis.
* PlayOn is a one-time charge. I think it was $29 at the time. It's a lifetime membership.
* Roku you just pay for the box.
* Plex, I paid $75 for a lifetime membership several years ago. I know it's more now, though.

I don't know what all this works out to.

Steve, you might want to prorate that $59 monthly cable fee. After all, I'm sure you use the internet for way more than just watching TV. After all, you're here! And we're glad for it.

There are way to many shows that would not be possible without cable or satellite.
My example is NFL football...
I bet not. I'm a baseball nut. Each time this year I sign up for the MLB audio streaming service so I can listen to my beloved Cleveland Indians while living in Red Sox territory. However, I know that they also offer a package for streaming the live games, plus viewing archived ones and highlights (I think). I personally find watching baseball to be bore-ring, and if you have a terrific announcer (the Tribe does), then he will paint the game's action so well you can "see" it in your mind.

I bet the NFL offers various package deals for audio, or live game TV, or all sorts of stuff. Anything for the fan...that will make them more money, that is. ;)

It's been awhile since I've done the math. But...

* Comcast internet: $59/mo
* HuluPlus: $8/mo
* NetFlix: $8/mo

My ongoing charge is about $76 a month. With cable I was paying about $180 a month. In fairness, we had most of the premium channel options.

Now, there are other things I had to pay for, but they aren't recurring charges:

* Amazon Prime is a yearly fee, plus if you watch non-prime movies (I don't very often) it's on a pay-per-view basis.
* PlayOn is a one-time charge. I think it was $29 at the time. It's a lifetime membership.
* Roku you just pay for the box.
* Plex, I paid $75 for a lifetime membership several years ago. I know it's more now, though.

I don't know what all this works out to.

Thanks Steve. This gives me a solid idea of what's going on. I appreciate it.

I have Chromecasts on both TV's. They are only $35 each. Plugs into the HDMI port, and you can use your smart phone, laptop, or tablet to control it (it's like having an awesome remote).

We have Netflix and watch most of our stuff on Netflix. Also YouTube has a lot of content. Right now, matter of fact, I am playing a queue of Petticoat Junction for my BIL who lives with us. It's on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom