"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Most of you here have gone through my lost doggie story, but I'll repeat it for those who have not.

A couple of years ago, my aging JR terrier died. She had a good, long life, and while we did cry when we put her down, we knew we were doing the right thing.

What we did NOT quite realize is that her daughter, our much beloved Keiki, really wasn't OUR dog, she was her mother's. When Mommy went deaf, Keiki was leading her around. We always thought Keiki was a bit of a wimp compared to her mother (whose life covered the entire country, born in Hawaii) and was very brave).

One day I left my gate open by accident, and Keiki took a walk. For 8 days. We, and that includes everyone who ever met her, wouldn't have guessed she could last a few days out in the wild. We looked and looked and finally gave up. Then someone living on a farm out near the Mississippi (several miles away, across a major highway, through a quarry) called her sister and asked if she knew someone who'd lost a dog. Her sister had seen my column in the newspaper and called me. I'll be honest with you, I thought Keiki had the survival skills of ... well, nothing. We're talking way out in the country, with foxes, coyotes, hawks. She would never so much as drink water that wasn't in her bowl, and even then, if something fell in it (say, a crumb, it is in the kitchen). Wouldn't dream of drinking from a gutter or puddle. Very finicky.

So we drove out to this farm, 8 days after she took a walk, and there was this skeletan (she was skinny to begin with). People have since asked me if she was happy to see us. Happy? No, she was so delerious she didn't even have a clue. She didn't know us from anyone.

Called our vet (we live in a rural community, on Sundays the three or four vets take turns) who said, yes she'd come in, but warned us it was going to cost us. Are you kidding, this is our Keiki.

That was a couple of years ago, and she (now coming upon her 15th birthday) is still with us, and in pretty good shape. She is a minor celebrity in town.

But she will still try to wander off if we don't watch her every minute. We wonder if she is looking for her mother?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I've got a couple stories about a dog I take care of named Zima. Zima is this decrepit Chihuahua who is her owner's dog, the wife, and doesn't take to anyone else. Even the husband told me it took several years for Zima not to snap at him after they got married....
So one day we are talking, the husband and I, and he tells me about the day Zima was bothering him at home. I don't recall what exactly Zima was doing, only that he said the dog was bothering him, so..... he put Zima up on the mantel over the fireplace and forgot about her until the wife got home and found Zima up there . He told me that didn't go over real well......

Last year I'm taking care of Zima, who at that time was half listening to me after caring for her for 4 or 5 years, but still wouldn't allow me to touch her, and we go to go outside into the play yard (I've said before here, I own a boarding facility). It's winter and it was very frigid outside. Veeeerrrrry frigid. BTW, has everyone here seen the move A Christmas Story? The one where Ralphie licks the flag pole? Uh-huh.... Zima is standing there in her outside run, I open the gate, and instead of hopping over the bottom rail like any other day, she licks it. And her tongue sticks right to the tube. So here we are, 6 in the morning, I'm looking at her, she's looking at me, about half a dozen thoughts are racing through my early morning mind, one of which was this dog bites and I reach down underneath her chin and use the edge of my hand to softly peel her tongue off the tubing, but quickly. I was amazed it all went down so well. All I could keep thinking about in the couple seconds I had to make a decision, was if I went inside to get some water, she will have freaked out by then and torn her tongue, not to mention have more of her wits about her and remember that she doesn't really like me.
I have Zima now. I don't think she's going to be around much longer.... I think she's around 15 now. This is from a few years ago.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

You reminded me of something, Pacanis!

My mother had a chihuahua terrier she named Muldoon. When I first met Muldoon, I sort of looked at my father like "why did she pick this one" and he looked back at me like "don't go there". He was six months old at the time and they got him from a pet store. There was a big litter and the others were apparently very nice looking dogs but Mulldoon was the one that came up to Mom with big sad eyes. Mully, as he became known as was the runt of the litter. He looked, as my Dad put it, like he was made from spare parts. His body was skrawny, his head was big, he was bow legged and was all white with a brown spot on his back that looked like someone had spit tobacco on it. There were absolutely no redeeming qualities in this dog. He hated men, going so far as to actually jump up and bite my brother-in-law on his backside (thankfully through a jeans pocket so there was no damage). He was not trainable and decided that the best place to lift his leg was on the leg of my Hientzman upright grand piano, which was still at my parents as I had a small apartment. The leg eventually had to be replaced.

But my Mom and Muldoon seemed to be kindred spirits. They absolutely loved each other and he was very protective of her. I tried to like this dog but is was almost impossible. When I would look after him when my parents were on vacation it would be a real clash of wills.

Until one day I was taking him for a walk. My parents lived on a very steep hill and we were going down towards the back ally when I somehow lost my footing and fell. I hit my head hard on the pavement and I think I must have been out for a bit. Anyway, I woke up and looked around but Mully was nowhere in sight. I almost though of just going in the house and not worrying about him (I was sore and scraped), but I knew my mother would never forgive me. I started to get up and saw Mulldoon running towards me with the neighbour in tow. He had gone and whined and barked at their door to get their attention and then started to run back to me. The neighbour helped me up and cleaned my wounds and I gave little Mully a big hug and some extra treats that night. I had a new respect for him after that.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I have a real stupid pet owner story for you.

While I was typing the above story about my Mom's dog, our bichon cross, Joie (Joey), was pestering me. I just figured it was supper time and his stomach has a built in alarm clock. I also presumed our border collie/boxer, Violet was sleeping on our bed, something she does any time she thinks we are distracted. I went on typing.

Finally I finished and Joie bolted toward the kitchen, further convincing me it was all cupboard love. That is until I got towards the dining room and heard a thud on the sliding glass door. The light in the back was off and it was pitch black, but through the blinds I could see some movement. Poor Violet must have been out there in the cold, dark and mild rain for about a half hour or more without me remembering I let her out! I felt so terrible, but she just came bounding in wanting to play and jumping up with a kiss as if to say it's okay Mommy, I forgive you. I gave them both a treat and then a very good supper. Boy, do I feel stupid. I will not push Joie off to the side so quickly next time, he was trying to tell me something!!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
Master Chef

These are all great! The only one I can think of right now is when my Springer Spaniel Ophelia got into the garbage and got her head stuck in a round carton of ice cream. She was about a year old at the time, and we were laughing so hard as she attempted to walk around the apartment with this empty bucket of ice cream stuck over her head. I got a picture too, but for the life of me can't find it anywhere around here.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...he was trying to tell me something!!
Sometimes when Cubbie barks, I act all excited and ask, "What is it boy?! Has Timmy fallen down the well?!!!" LOL

Don't be so hard on yourself Laurie! Believe me, Violet does not (and never did) see you as the horrible lady who left her out in the cold! She sees you as the wonderful lady who let her come in to a nice warm house where she feels loved!

Barbara
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay, I have a real stupid pet owner story for you.

While I was typing the above story about my Mom's dog, our bichon cross, Joie (Joey), was pestering me. I just figured it was supper time and his stomach has a built in alarm clock. I also presumed our border collie/boxer, Violet was sleeping on our bed, something she does any time she thinks we are distracted. I went on typing.

Finally I finished and Joie bolted toward the kitchen, further convincing me it was all cupboard love. That is until I got towards the dining room and heard a thud on the sliding glass door. The light in the back was off and it was pitch black, but through the blinds I could see some movement. Poor Violet must have been out there in the cold, dark and mild rain for about a half hour or more without me remembering I let her out! I felt so terrible, but she just came bounding in wanting to play and jumping up with a kiss as if to say it's okay Mommy, I forgive you. I gave them both a treat and then a very good supper. Boy, do I feel stupid. I will not push Joie off to the side so quickly next time, he was trying to tell me something!!
One word. Dogs. They are so weird aren't they. Almost uncanny, and yet the one outside probably couldn't have cared less.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Barbara and Pacanis. Yes, I know you are right. Violet is right now acting as a super footwarmer, happily chewing on one of her favourite toys, while Joie is on my lap fast asleep!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
Senior Cook

When I was growing up we got a pup from my aunt, an alaskan husky/cross we named Susie.
She loved everyone in the family and took to no-one in particular more than the other.
One day she was struck by a rattlesnake twice, across her left eye.
When we got home from school her head was as large as a football.
My dad was going to let nature take its course, but my older brother had a fit and offered to empty his entire savings account.
Finally my dad took her to the vet (which was 30 miles away we lived in a very rural area)
Susie was at the vet for 3 days.
Ever since that day she followed my dad everywhere he went.
She would hop in the seat of his pickup and sleep and wait for him all day, or she would follow him to work and lay outside waiting for him.
One day he left for town & supplies and on the way home, there was Susie, 11 miles down the highway heading towards town trying to find him.
I think the only time I saw my dad cry was when she finally passed at the age of 17.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmaloney View Post
When I was growing up we got a pup from my aunt, an alaskan husky/cross we named Susie.
She loved everyone in the family and took to no-one in particular more than the other.
One day she was struck by a rattlesnake twice, across her left eye.
When we got home from school her head was as large as a football.
My dad was going to let nature take its course, but my older brother had a fit and offered to empty his entire savings account.
Finally my dad took her to the vet (which was 30 miles away we lived in a very rural area)
Susie was at the vet for 3 days.
Ever since that day she followed my dad everywhere he went.
She would hop in the seat of his pickup and sleep and wait for him all day, or she would follow him to work and lay outside waiting for him.
One day he left for town & supplies and on the way home, there was Susie, 11 miles down the highway heading towards town trying to find him.
I think the only time I saw my dad cry was when she finally passed at the age of 17.
This reminds me of a dog we had when we first moved to FL. He was a small terrier mix named Tiger. He followed us everywhere we went when we went horseback riding. If we went out for an hour ride he went for an hour hike, three hours for us, three hours for him. Well we got to the point where we just always expected him to be there trotting behind the horse as we rode through the woods and one year during the rainy season we rode into an area where two small ponds flooded and became one large pond, but we knew the path to follow to cross. Not even thinking about poor Tiger behind us. After about 20 minutes past the flooded area I looked behind me and there was no Tiger. We spun the horses around and raced back to the pond and sure enough there he was tangled in some vines treading water. I jumped off my horse and scooped him up and he just rode in the saddle right in front of me and from then on we always made a point of checking up on him more often and he always ended up riding home on the horse with us.