Stupid pet stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefmaloney

Senior Cook
Our sweet little Chihuahua LuPe has always been a quiet girl. When she was a puppy she never scratched things, or chewed things, or even barked. She still rarely barks.
Seems to have been born with so much 'knowledge'
She will lay on the floor on her blanket with 'eyes following'
I remember when we were housebreaking her we made her spend the night in the service porch. One night I got up at 3:00am to check on her, I opened the door, and these gorgeous eyes were looking right at me, like she wasn't even sleeping, just laying there waiting for me quietly all night long.
One day around 5:00pm (near dark) we accidentally left the gate open in the driveway. We coudln't find LuPe. We looked and looked, drove around looking, came home, looked and called, shook car keys, played the electric can opener.....
nothing......
We were in tears thinking she would be torn apart by a coyote or get hit by a car.
Although I had lost my appetite, around 10:00pm we deciced we had to eat something.
I opened the cupboard beneath the stove to get a pot and who do you think was sitting there... just looking up at me with her gorgeous eyes?
LuPe.
Yipppeeee! We got LuPe!!!

Attachments

• LuPe.jpg
    LuPe.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 159
I love the pic of your little LuPe!! Touching story too... I just live the way dogs look at us... like there is nothing better in their lives than having us humans!!! The love of a dog is priceless!

My first companion Buster, who also was a Chihuahua, loved to cuddle and hide in things. Hide in clothes, blankets, towels, what ever was available to him. So with that I have two stories:

Back in the day when I use to 'dress up' for work, I would go through my share of pantyhose. At the end of the week I would hand wash them all for the next week. I piled them all up on the bed and forgot about them. Then I could hear Buster whimpering. I could not figure it out, but his cries lead me to the bedroom. And on the bed was Buster, in the middle of my pantyhose pile. Poor guy managed to get himself tangled up in the hose and could not figure out how to get out. Should have taken a pic!!!

The other story is about Buster as well. Back in the day again, I use to collect these silly stuffed animals called Puffkins or something like that. I had quite a few of them and had them all sitting on a hope chest in 3 rows. I could not find Buster one day and as I was looking for him, I saw his head poked in the middle of the row with all the other little Puffkins. It was a classic 'Where's Waldo' moment!!!! Or if you remember the part in the movie ET, where ET is blending in with all the other stuffed animals??? You just had to be there!

Awwww what cute stories!

Ok I have one...actually two, its a cat story.
When I was about 5-6 yrs old we got a kitten and my dad being....well my dad had a test to determine if the cat/cats could stay with us by picking them up by the tail and swinging them around...if they didn't freak out then they got to stay. Well this one cat continued to PURR throughout the entire "test" so my father named him "Timex"....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin :)

The second story is also about Timex.....growing up the cat had a very low tollerence for being pet too much or picked up (with 3 of us kids I can't say I blamed him) so to let you know you have either crossed a line or over stayed your welcome he would bite your hand. I of course always knew this since we had had him for about 6 yrs by this time but when I was about 11 yrs old I was petting him in my room ( a common hangout place for him) and he decided he had had enough so he bit me on the hand....well I had enough of his "catitude" because I leaned over and bit him right back on the ear...bit him hard! He immediately started licking me on the hand that he had bitten!!
I kid you not, since that day he NEVER bit me again and not only that but I was the only one he allowed to hold for long periods of time! And even more...he started waiting for me on the corner of our block for me to walk home from school everyday and would "race" me home! By race I mean I would run, HE would run, I would suddenly stop....HE would suddenly stop! We did this all the way home every day! And if I went to my girlfriends house he would wait for me on her door step....we are talking for hours at a time! It amazed me the change in him...just because I bit him!! LOL
He got hit by a car when I was 23 yrs old.....that was one old cat!

I have so many as I have had so many pets over the years, but I think this one stands out the best.

I had a wonderful cocker spaniel named Brewster. He was the smartest, friendliest, loyalest companion you could ever want. We rarely had to put him on a leash, so when we were moving we didn't bother to lock him up. He just kept wandering in and out with each load as he pleased - sort of like the foreman, making sure it was all okay. I gave him a treat for being so good, and he ran outside rather than gobbling it like normal. I just thought he was missing a trip with someone! Well several people remarked that they had given him treats and then as we were leaving I noticed that the garden across the path was a little messy and I realized.....he had buried all his bones there.

Well, we moved to another apartment for a couple of years and would walk him in the baseball park half a block away. We then moved into a house and one day I was having a picnic lunch with a friend at that old baseball park and of course had my constant companion with me. He seemed happy to be in his old stomping grounds. I gave him a treat and he stopped for a moment, ran to one of the diamonds and buried in in the sand. I was amazed, because he had not buried treats since that first move. So I gave him another and sure enough, he buried it too. My friend and I were roaring with laughter.

I guess he just wanted to leave his mark on his territories! He sure left a mark on my heart. I lost him about a year later to bone cancer. I love my current dogs, but Brewster was something very special.

O.k. I'll join in, but I don't think any of these are stupid pet stories as chefmaloney titled this thread, it should be amazing pet stories.
Anyway the first one that comes to mind is about our very first horses we bought when we moved to FL. My Dad was so excited to get his two teenage daughters their own horses that he made sure we had the property and barn built before we even had a house to live in. He knew how horse crazy we were. He built a two stall w/ feed room shed row barn and a moderate sized corral for the two grade (mutt) geldings he bought for us. The day was all planned out. The man that sold him the horses lived about 5 miles away, and since we didn't have a horse trailer we had to ride them to their new home. No problem for a 13 yr old and a 15 yr old. All went well, mom and dad were waiting at the end of the drive-way for us as we came riding up the rode. We hosed them off, cooled them down and turned them loose in the corral for them to settle in to their new digs. Dad said we have to go get feed cans, scoops, feed, hay, etc... So let them relax and when we get back you girls can fuss over them some more. Off we went.
Well when we returned, as we made our way up the drive-way my sister and I just started crying. They were both gone. At first we thought someone stole them, but after further investigating we saw the break in the fence. Apparently my horse, who was the smaller of the two cornered my sisters horse and started kicking the you know what out of him and his only way to go was through the fence. No he wasn't hurt! But they paid very good attention during their ride to their new home because as we started following their hoof prints we ended up walking the almost 5 miles right back to where we got them from. They back tracked almost hoof print to hoof print. We ended up riding them back the following weekend and learned that they had to be turned out in separate corral until our pasture was finished. That old mixed breed of a horse was a part of my life for 26 years.

My favorite is that I used to keep my cat's litter box in the laundry room. In that particular home, you went through the kitchen to the laundry room, and through that room to the downstairs bath. Each had a closing door. One time we left all the doors closed, but didn't think too much about it, probably just didn't want the heat of the dryer in the kitchen. Off to work, not realizing we'd trapped our kitty in the bathroom. Still didn't think about it until I looked at hubby and said, "the cat pooped somewhere around here." We looked and looked and looked some more, and she'd done nothing outside of her litter box, which I'd dumped, bleached the box, re-lined, and filled clean. Still could smell it.

Then, a day or so later, I looked in a little waste basket next to the toilet in the downstairs powder room and voila! Kitty had gotten "locked in" the the bathroom. She'd unrolled some toilet paper, pooped in it, and unrolled more to cover it. She was VERY sanitary, so much so that we never saw that she'd made a mess.

My favorite is that I used to keep my cat's litter box in the laundry room. In that particular home, you went through the kitchen to the laundry room, and through that room to the downstairs bath. Each had a closing door. One time we left all the doors closed, but didn't think too much about it, probably just didn't want the heat of the dryer in the kitchen. Off to work, not realizing we'd trapped our kitty in the bathroom. Still didn't think about it until I looked at hubby and said, "the cat pooped somewhere around here." We looked and looked and looked some more, and she'd done nothing outside of her litter box, which I'd dumped, bleached the box, re-lined, and filled clean. Still could smell it.

Then, a day or so later, I looked in a little waste basket next to the toilet in the downstairs powder room and voila! Kitty had gotten "locked in" the the bathroom. She'd unrolled some toilet paper, pooped in it, and unrolled more to cover it. She was VERY sanitary, so much so that we never saw that she'd made a mess.

Aw! That's so smart of her. Thank you for sharing.

Your're right getoutamykitchen I should have titled this thread Amazing Pet Stories.
These stories are all fantastic and some very touching. Amazing how much a big part of our lives our pets become. I have a hard time sleeping without mine near me :)

I have another one. One day while driving to work the freeway traffic stopped. As I inched up the freeway I noticed a dog pacing back and forth on the freeway, very disoriented. A couple of people were trying to catch him but couldn't. As I got nearer he hopped in the back of my pickup truck. He had road tar all over him and ticks.
I called a friend who lives nearby, she has an animal sanctuary and is licensed to release animals back into the wild. She said to me: "The nicest thing you could do is clean him up and try to find the owner" so.... on my way to work (I'm running late already) I dropped him off at a pet supply & groomer. When I got off work I picked up the dog and WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DOG he was. $70.00 later.
After placing ads in the paper, posting at the local market, and 2-3 weeks later I supposed the dog had found a new home with me.
He loved people and kids.
I took him to the vet, got him all the required shots. The vet said that from the looks of his teeth he was about 5 years old, and possibly a chow & husky cross.
We named him LUCKY.
Shortly after the grooming we went camping near a lake, opened the truck door and Lucky shot out, disappeared. We looked and called. Finally found him down at the lake sitting in the water, licking the water. sheeeesh. He was muddy so we bathed him ourselves before we left for home.
Occasionally a semi truck passes by on the road in front of my house and Lucky would chase them all the way down the fence line, barking all the way, snapping at the fence as he ran.
From this, I decided he was either lost or abandoned by a trucker where he may have spent much of his time in the truck cab (I'm guessing).
Lucky was a runner. He would dig out under the fence occasionally and disappear.
He would NOT be tied up. Went nuts and nearly hurt himself once.
I know I got at least 5-6 phone calls at all hours over the years we had him, such as: 10:00pm..........phone rings.........."Hello? We have your dog?....... Lucky?......."
(we had a tag on the collar with name & phone #) so off I would go to fetch him.
Once I got a call from 25 miles away: "Your dog, Lucky...hopped in back of my truck so I brought him home with me" shheeesh....
Another time: "Hello? your dog Lucky likes lasagna" shheeesh....
We used to have chikens, Rhode Island Reds (great eggs) and a couple of them disappeared. A few months later I looked outside and saw Lucky swinging one around, playing with it, feathers flying. He must have buried it out back and decided he needed something to play with.
Another time: We went to the beach in Malibu. Opened the door and Lucky FLEW out of the truck, ran to the beach, into the water, and swam out THROUGH THE BREAKERS to a surfer. The surfer brought him in on his board saying: "Your dog was tired and going down"
Finally, one day after about 5 years Lucky disappeared. We couldn't find him and have never seen him since.
I like to think he has a great home on a lake somewhere, lots of kids to play with, and no fences.
We think about him a lot.
He was truly a free spirit.

Most of you here have gone through my lost doggie story, but I'll repeat it for those who have not.

A couple of years ago, my aging JR terrier died. She had a good, long life, and while we did cry when we put her down, we knew we were doing the right thing.

What we did NOT quite realize is that her daughter, our much beloved Keiki, really wasn't OUR dog, she was her mother's. When Mommy went deaf, Keiki was leading her around. We always thought Keiki was a bit of a wimp compared to her mother (whose life covered the entire country, born in Hawaii) and was very brave).

One day I left my gate open by accident, and Keiki took a walk. For 8 days. We, and that includes everyone who ever met her, wouldn't have guessed she could last a few days out in the wild. We looked and looked and finally gave up. Then someone living on a farm out near the Mississippi (several miles away, across a major highway, through a quarry) called her sister and asked if she knew someone who'd lost a dog. Her sister had seen my column in the newspaper and called me. I'll be honest with you, I thought Keiki had the survival skills of ... well, nothing. We're talking way out in the country, with foxes, coyotes, hawks. She would never so much as drink water that wasn't in her bowl, and even then, if something fell in it (say, a crumb, it is in the kitchen). Wouldn't dream of drinking from a gutter or puddle. Very finicky.

So we drove out to this farm, 8 days after she took a walk, and there was this skeletan (she was skinny to begin with). People have since asked me if she was happy to see us. Happy? No, she was so delerious she didn't even have a clue. She didn't know us from anyone.

Called our vet (we live in a rural community, on Sundays the three or four vets take turns) who said, yes she'd come in, but warned us it was going to cost us. Are you kidding, this is our Keiki.

That was a couple of years ago, and she (now coming upon her 15th birthday) is still with us, and in pretty good shape. She is a minor celebrity in town.

But she will still try to wander off if we don't watch her every minute. We wonder if she is looking for her mother?

I've got a couple stories about a dog I take care of named Zima. Zima is this decrepit Chihuahua who is her owner's dog, the wife, and doesn't take to anyone else. Even the husband told me it took several years for Zima not to snap at him after they got married....
So one day we are talking, the husband and I, and he tells me about the day Zima was bothering him at home. I don't recall what exactly Zima was doing, only that he said the dog was bothering him, so..... he put Zima up on the mantel over the fireplace :LOL: and forgot about her :LOL::LOL: until the wife got home and found Zima up there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. He told me that didn't go over real well......

Last year I'm taking care of Zima, who at that time was half listening to me after caring for her for 4 or 5 years, but still wouldn't allow me to touch her, and we go to go outside into the play yard (I've said before here, I own a boarding facility). It's winter and it was very frigid outside. Veeeerrrrry frigid. BTW, has everyone here seen the move A Christmas Story? The one where Ralphie licks the flag pole? Uh-huh.... Zima is standing there in her outside run, I open the gate, and instead of hopping over the bottom rail like any other day, she licks it. And her tongue sticks right to the tube. So here we are, 6 in the morning, I'm looking at her, she's looking at me, about half a dozen thoughts are racing through my early morning mind, one of which was this dog bites :ermm: and I reach down underneath her chin and use the edge of my hand to softly peel her tongue off the tubing, but quickly. I was amazed it all went down so well. All I could keep thinking about in the couple seconds I had to make a decision, was if I went inside to get some water, she will have freaked out by then and torn her tongue, not to mention have more of her wits about her and remember that she doesn't really like me.
I have Zima now. I don't think she's going to be around much longer.... I think she's around 15 now. This is from a few years ago.

zima.jpg

You reminded me of something, Pacanis!

My mother had a chihuahua terrier she named Muldoon. When I first met Muldoon, I sort of looked at my father like "why did she pick this one" and he looked back at me like "don't go there". He was six months old at the time and they got him from a pet store. There was a big litter and the others were apparently very nice looking dogs but Mulldoon was the one that came up to Mom with big sad eyes. Mully, as he became known as was the runt of the litter. He looked, as my Dad put it, like he was made from spare parts. His body was skrawny, his head was big, he was bow legged and was all white with a brown spot on his back that looked like someone had spit tobacco on it. There were absolutely no redeeming qualities in this dog. He hated men, going so far as to actually jump up and bite my brother-in-law on his backside (thankfully through a jeans pocket so there was no damage). He was not trainable and decided that the best place to lift his leg was on the leg of my Hientzman upright grand piano, which was still at my parents as I had a small apartment. The leg eventually had to be replaced.

But my Mom and Muldoon seemed to be kindred spirits. They absolutely loved each other and he was very protective of her. I tried to like this dog but is was almost impossible. When I would look after him when my parents were on vacation it would be a real clash of wills.

Until one day I was taking him for a walk. My parents lived on a very steep hill and we were going down towards the back ally when I somehow lost my footing and fell. I hit my head hard on the pavement and I think I must have been out for a bit. Anyway, I woke up and looked around but Mully was nowhere in sight. I almost though of just going in the house and not worrying about him (I was sore and scraped), but I knew my mother would never forgive me. I started to get up and saw Mulldoon running towards me with the neighbour in tow. He had gone and whined and barked at their door to get their attention and then started to run back to me. The neighbour helped me up and cleaned my wounds and I gave little Mully a big hug and some extra treats that night. I had a new respect for him after that.

Okay, I have a real stupid pet owner story for you.

While I was typing the above story about my Mom's dog, our bichon cross, Joie (Joey), was pestering me. I just figured it was supper time and his stomach has a built in alarm clock. I also presumed our border collie/boxer, Violet was sleeping on our bed, something she does any time she thinks we are distracted. I went on typing.

Finally I finished and Joie bolted toward the kitchen, further convincing me it was all cupboard love. That is until I got towards the dining room and heard a thud on the sliding glass door. The light in the back was off and it was pitch black, but through the blinds I could see some movement. Poor Violet must have been out there in the cold, dark and mild rain for about a half hour or more without me remembering I let her out! I felt so terrible, but she just came bounding in wanting to play and jumping up with a kiss as if to say it's okay Mommy, I forgive you. I gave them both a treat and then a very good supper. Boy, do I feel stupid. I will not push Joie off to the side so quickly next time, he was trying to tell me something!!

These are all great! The only one I can think of right now is when my Springer Spaniel Ophelia got into the garbage and got her head stuck in a round carton of ice cream. She was about a year old at the time, and we were laughing so hard as she attempted to walk around the apartment with this empty bucket of ice cream stuck over her head. I got a picture too, but for the life of me can't find it anywhere around here.

...he was trying to tell me something!!
Sometimes when Cubbie barks, I act all excited and ask, "What is it boy?! Has Timmy fallen down the well?!!!" LOL

Don't be so hard on yourself Laurie! Believe me, Violet does not (and never did) see you as the horrible lady who left her out in the cold! She sees you as the wonderful lady who let her come in to a nice warm house where she feels loved!

:)Barbara

Okay, I have a real stupid pet owner story for you.

While I was typing the above story about my Mom's dog, our bichon cross, Joie (Joey), was pestering me. I just figured it was supper time and his stomach has a built in alarm clock. I also presumed our border collie/boxer, Violet was sleeping on our bed, something she does any time she thinks we are distracted. I went on typing.

Finally I finished and Joie bolted toward the kitchen, further convincing me it was all cupboard love. That is until I got towards the dining room and heard a thud on the sliding glass door. The light in the back was off and it was pitch black, but through the blinds I could see some movement. Poor Violet must have been out there in the cold, dark and mild rain for about a half hour or more without me remembering I let her out! I felt so terrible, but she just came bounding in wanting to play and jumping up with a kiss as if to say it's okay Mommy, I forgive you. I gave them both a treat and then a very good supper. Boy, do I feel stupid. I will not push Joie off to the side so quickly next time, he was trying to tell me something!!

One word. Dogs. They are so weird aren't they. Almost uncanny, and yet the one outside probably couldn't have cared less.

Thanks, Barbara and Pacanis. Yes, I know you are right. Violet is right now acting as a super footwarmer, happily chewing on one of her favourite toys, while Joie is on my lap fast asleep!

When I was growing up we got a pup from my aunt, an alaskan husky/cross we named Susie.
She loved everyone in the family and took to no-one in particular more than the other.
One day she was struck by a rattlesnake twice, across her left eye.
When we got home from school her head was as large as a football.
My dad was going to let nature take its course, but my older brother had a fit and offered to empty his entire savings account.
Finally my dad took her to the vet (which was 30 miles away we lived in a very rural area)
Susie was at the vet for 3 days.
Ever since that day she followed my dad everywhere he went.
She would hop in the seat of his pickup and sleep and wait for him all day, or she would follow him to work and lay outside waiting for him.
One day he left for town & supplies and on the way home, there was Susie, 11 miles down the highway heading towards town trying to find him.
I think the only time I saw my dad cry was when she finally passed at the age of 17.

When I was growing up we got a pup from my aunt, an alaskan husky/cross we named Susie.
She loved everyone in the family and took to no-one in particular more than the other.
One day she was struck by a rattlesnake twice, across her left eye.
When we got home from school her head was as large as a football.
My dad was going to let nature take its course, but my older brother had a fit and offered to empty his entire savings account.
Finally my dad took her to the vet (which was 30 miles away we lived in a very rural area)
Susie was at the vet for 3 days.
Ever since that day she followed my dad everywhere he went.
She would hop in the seat of his pickup and sleep and wait for him all day, or she would follow him to work and lay outside waiting for him.
One day he left for town & supplies and on the way home, there was Susie, 11 miles down the highway heading towards town trying to find him.
I think the only time I saw my dad cry was when she finally passed at the age of 17.

This reminds me of a dog we had when we first moved to FL. He was a small terrier mix named Tiger. He followed us everywhere we went when we went horseback riding. If we went out for an hour ride he went for an hour hike, three hours for us, three hours for him. Well we got to the point where we just always expected him to be there trotting behind the horse as we rode through the woods and one year during the rainy season we rode into an area where two small ponds flooded and became one large pond, but we knew the path to follow to cross. Not even thinking about poor Tiger behind us. After about 20 minutes past the flooded area I looked behind me and there was no Tiger. We spun the horses around and raced back to the pond and sure enough there he was tangled in some vines treading water. I jumped off my horse and scooped him up and he just rode in the saddle right in front of me and from then on we always made a point of checking up on him more often and he always ended up riding home on the horse with us.

Back
Top Bottom