Stupid State Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
I really get a kick out of these. Tell me some stupid laws your state has.

It's illegal to hunt whales in Ohio :wacko:

middie said:
I really get a kick out of these. Tell me some stupid laws your state has.

It's illegal to hunt whales in Ohio :wacko:

I guess I'll take my "stuffed" whale off the wall I caught in Ohio middie :ROFLMAO: Yessireeeee - Lake Erie is FULL of them - gotta keep that population down - I thought I was helping!

In New Jersey, it is illegal to throw a bad pickle into the street in the state capitol. It's also illegal to frown at a police officer.

Well, I guess the wild camels are safe here in AZ, hunting them is prohibited. Yes, there are or used to be wild camels here; the army tried them out thinking they would do better than horses. When it didn't work they just turned them loose; pretty much the way wild horses and burros came to be here. Speaking of burros/donkeys..........I'm going to have to break this news to my own 2 burros!! It is illegal for them to sleep in the bathtub!!!!!!!!

In case you don;t know how to make a proper chowder, Massachusetts says:

"Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder. "

In Washington
It is illegal to display a hypnotized or allegedly hypnotized person in a store window and

No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission. Please sir, may I burn your house down. I'm feeling a little bored today and that might add a little excitment to my life...

In bars, it is actually illegal to "walk around" with a beer in your hand. (Woburn, MA)

I can attest to this. If you're in a restaurant in this city waiting for a table and having a drink in the lounge, a waiter/waitress must carry your unfinished drink to your table.

I think some of these are old and not on the books anymore. Thank Goodness.

But the "official number" of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is 6.

jennyema said:
...But the "official number" of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is 6.

I am so proud that our legislators made the effort to select and memorialize our official number. Of course, it had to be 6. No other number had a chance.

roflmao omg this one is great !!

Massachusetts

You may not, at any time take a crap on your neighbour

Maine
You may not step out of a plane in flight

Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses (Another Ohio Law)

Last edited:
In Hawaii-Coins are not allowed to be placed in one's ears.

What?

In Georgia:

No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.

Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

Andy M. said:
In bars, it is actually illegal to "walk around" with a beer in your hand. (Woburn, MA)

I can attest to this. If you're in a restaurant in this city waiting for a table and having a drink in the lounge, a waiter/waitress must carry your unfinished drink to your table.

I've actually run into this one in many states...:LOL:

Texas is full of these ranging from state laws to local ordinances! These are just a few:

While you can't fish for whales in Ohio, we can't shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. (must have been the Bar-Stool Manufacturer's lobby that got that one passed?)

It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream. (humm ... guess the Designated Driver better be driving a bus?)

The original "open container" law did not specify alcohol (a cup of coffee could have gotten you busted under the original law), it has been ammended. In some jurisdictions the "passenger compartment" of a vehicle can include the back of a pick-up truck especially if it has a split back window in the cab which can be opened to give access to the bed of the truck, but that is not a requirement in all areas.

There is a suburb of Dallas where it is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts, and it is illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it visible from the street. .

Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator.

Temple has some neat ones; cattle thieves may be hanged on the spot, you can ride your horse in the saloon, but no one may ride a horse and buggy through the town square.

You can't carry wire-cutters in your hip pocket.

When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

Criminals must give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

A man may still beat his wife but only as long as he uses nothing bigger than his thumb.

A blind person can go hunting as long as they have a person who can see with them.

You can't urinate on the Alamo.

State motor vehicle laws require all vehicles operated on a public road to have operational windscreen wipers in good repair, although you don't have to have a windscreen.

These two are still on the books here in Ft. Worth - if you wish to drive a horseless carriage down the streets of downtown you must have someone walking at least 20 paces in front of you to announce your approach (the must also carry a lantern if between sunset and sunrise), and, all residences and business establishments must have hitching posts or hitching rails in good repair to accomodate no less than 4 horses.

Others around the state include you can't ride a horse after dark unless it is equppied with tail lights, you can't walk barefoot on public property unless you buy a special permit, public meeting places (including churches) must have an adequate number of spit-tunes, and the list goes on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom