"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

only in america! so funny, so pathetic. no wonder american tourists are often depicted as buffoons....

Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
only in america! so funny, so pathetic. no wonder american tourists are often depicted as buffoons....

Actually, this part of the OP: "Thomas Cook and the Association of British Travel Agents..."
suggests the travelers were British, not American.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

so they are, and it all sounded so very familiar and american to me. i guess the apple hasn't fallen far from the proverbial tree....
Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heheh, you said fanny orifice. Have never heard that, Claire, in all my years working with adolescents!

I get a kick out of seeing folks coming off the cruise ships in Cozumel and heading for McDonalds and Pizza Hut. They think they'll get sick from Mexican food.
Dawg, I have written columns (for free, alas) for newspapers for a couple of decades and try to find imaginative ways to say things that might come out of my mouth as swearing. I kind of liked this one myself, maybe I'll find a way to work it into a column!

Once I was visiting a San Diegan friend and we took a day trip to Tijuana. We were sipping water, waiting for our drinks and meals, and a couple next to us asked if the lemon slice sanitized the water. My friend told them that Tijuana and San Diego use the same water purification and it's safe to drink. Interesting to know because I might have avoided the water otherwise (and no, none of us got sick).
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

My thought is that Americans act this way because we can travel for days and not leave our country. Only those who live on the borders of Canada and Mexico think about taking a day trip to another country! My uncle was stationed in Germany when he was in the Air Force. After his discharge, some German friends came to visit him in Ohio (he lived in the western part of the state) and planned to travel to Tennessee to visit some other friends. They figured since they were not leaving the country, they could get there, visit and get back to my uncle's by dinner! They were used to dropping into Poland, France, Austria etc for lunch!