"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #21
Executive Chef
Yeah, maybe rugby for those who don't want permanent brain damage...

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #22
Executive Chef
That's what I said 'rugby for wusses'.... Is this where I tell you that my husband was a rugby blue at his uni?!!!! No brain damage there, I can assure you.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #23
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I know how you feel. My husband was even planning on getting a portable TV just to watch the games on our vacation. We've been planning this family vacation for so long and our kids deserve quality time with him. He can watch the rest of the 2 weeks left of it when we get back.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
I am blessed with a husband who couldn't care less about most sporting events. What a deal - I get to watch all the ones I like, for the most part.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Yep my hubby is into the world cup too (he's from England). It starts on 6 June. I find other things to do since I really dont care for football (soccer), nor do I care for the american football.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
Sous Chef
You know, I hate to admit it, I hate Sport of any kind (except Nascar and Cubs Baseball) but even I'm getting wrapped up in this years FIFA.

I guess Hype and Spin really do work.

~ Raven ~
Mike's Vet and Taxidermy - Either way you get your dog back.

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
Master Chef
it's not hype and it's not spin. Fpptball is really happening sport, the action is the best part, and there is real action unlike many other sports
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Oooh, isn't it ironic, don't you think... (oh, stay calm everyone I am not going to start warbling "it's like raiiiiining on a wedding day.

The BEST part of my wedding day was the honeymoon! We spent our honeymoon in same room w/two other couples who were married and this way supposed to be our wedding night? Should have realized then there woud be trouble ahead w/someone who only considered his agenda in life. That is why I mentioned the word 'balance' equals not only marriage for ONE. I don't fault the game of soccer but how you both can enjoy it. Maybe I am 'kissin 'n tellin" here but enough is enough!!!!
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #29
Head Chef
I think it's O.K. to give them space to do things that they like. I guess I have learned that given I live with three guys. My kids are really into sports (soccer). They are young and they are obsessed with this and also with football so I am not sure what it will be like as they get older. My husband on the other hand is not much into sports except football but is big time into Finance and the Markets.

I don't share their passion (neither for finance nor for sports). I like creative things but that's why we have multiple t.v's . I can watch or read or bake or cook or do whatever I like while they follow what they want. You can't have their attention all the time so I say give him his space and that will make for a happy relationship.

Oh and IntheKitchen, I could not help but laugh after reading your post. I gotta give you kudos for putting up with that.

BTW: Shaheen what about the cricket craze. Back home if there was anything that drove me insane was people's obsession with cricket and how work schedules and social events had to be arranged around that. Then there was tennis as well. As a kid sometimes I was glued to the television watching Navratilova and Graff fight it out.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Glad you got a laugh! Sounds funny now but I had not clue what was going to happen? What would you have done? When I start feeling disappointed about it I think maybe things could have been worse. As they say,'roll w/the punches'? The other people were so friendly but even more so when they found out we just got married. Probably knew I picked a winner!

I really do like watching girls soccer too. They are really intense. As I said professional soccer is really great to watch. Glad I can watch when I want to. now.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote