"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Stupid World Cup

How does it feel when all your boyfriend can think of these days is that stupid football World Cup. Everything we do now, he relates it to football (soccer). It's so irritating. I love him and he still gives me attention and all but he is just obsessed with his sports!

How do you feel, those of you who have husbands/boyfriends who are addicted to the World Cup (or any other silly sporting event)?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I love football (not soccer on this side of the world!) The world cup is GREAT, not silly. Now, formula 1, or swimming.... THAT's silly

Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Shaheen

This really made me laugh and feel sad at the same time! My ex who played amateur soccer, professional soccer, professional referee, and coach had soccer contineously on his mind. Do you know when we got married my honeymoon was in Mexico to see World Cup? First time I really got to see such an overwhelming emotional type of sport. Everyone we were with told me not to be overly supportive of the team I was rooting for. There were lot of arguments and physical fights that took place. So my life began w/soccer and when we divorced still involved w/soccer. That is not what caused the breakup. The fact too self centered. If your friend gives you equal attention be grateful. Actually, watching professionals is more enjoyable than amateurs. The best player was Pele. The pinacle of my ex's career was refeering a game in which he played. The man was so cool he never seemed to lose control. He was a real joy to watch. I never have seen another player of his caliber.

Shaheen, if you friend has balance in his life and it includes you, that is great. One way to look at it, is your competition isn't something worse. Drinking, other women, etc. I would try to share his enjoyment of soccer and you will learn to like it too. My hope and prayer is for you t o always share in his happiness. And he in yours. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

If he's not soccer obsessed the rest of the time, maybe you could find a way to tolerate his madness (even encourage it) for a couple of weeks every 4 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen
...I love him and he still gives me attention...

It seems to me you couldn't ask for much more. Is he only allowed to have interests you approve of? (No 'stupid' sports)

Do you have any interests he doesn't care about?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Oooh, isn't it ironic, don't you think... (oh, stay calm everyone I am not going to start warbling "it's like raiiiiining on a wedding day..." )

I wouldn't mind a least bit if my partner was a bit more enthusiastic about football... I really liked the sport and had followed it since the 98 world cup when I discovered the wonder of the amazing Michael Owen, however I rarely watch the matches any more (though I follow the goings on on the net) because Cristiano DETESTS football. I found it is not exactly indispensable in life, but now another world cup is around the corner and the whole Italy is psyched up for it, I am feeling a bit wistful about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Now, formula 1, or swimming.... THAT's silly
Hey, Ishbel, Formula 1 is not silly, especially now that there are some valid competitors against the annoying Schumi, CURLING, now that is the epitome of silliness!! (I can sweep the floor just as well!!)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Curling isn't SILLY...... It's one of my national sports! Conspicuous consumption of a scarce resource (F1) IS.....

(Isn't it just as well we all find some sports 'silly'? Wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing, would it?)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Curling isn't SILLY...... It's one of my national sports!
Aren't your other national sports the 'log toss' and the 'boulder carry'?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Curling isn't SILLY...... It's one of my national sports! Conspicuous consumption of a scarce resource (F1) IS.....

(Isn't it just as well we all find some sports 'silly'? Wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing, would it?)
Oh dear me... I didn't realise Curling was your national sport!! I humbly take it back (the silliness bit...), sorry about that Ishbel!!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Heheheeee - i JUST love embarrassing friends!

My brother used to play curling when we were kids!

Z - I thank you to get the terminology right... 'Log Toss'... is called Tossing the Caber

As I have stated, thank goodness we don't find the same sports interesting... otherwise it might be wall to wall F1 or wall to wall football or...

Hey, wait a minute.... it IS wall to wall (insert sport of your choice)