"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Everymom

jpmcgrew, we had to visit our ophthalmologist about this issue a few years ago and it will keep coming back unless you can get it to a head and drain it. The sure fire way to do that is to put heat on it. You will see it come to a head and then it will quickly burst and drain itself. The doctor recommended that you heat a small spoon in a glass of hot water (as hot as you can stand it) and put that over your eye as often as possible. Don't wash with anything except clear water. You can use tea bags or hot compresses to heat it up, but the spoon works best. The other option was surgery to remove it (EEK!!), we opted for the hot spoon and it worked like a charm. Took a couple of days though. Good luck. I know how irritating they can be.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks Alix. thats great advice Ive got the spoon thing going and it seems to be helping already.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Everymom

It really does work well. I hope that clears it up for you. Do you have ophthalmic Polysporin there? Its usually behind the pharmacists counter here, but it is available without prescription. Once that sty drains I would put some of that in/on it. Nice little antibiotic to kill any remaining germs.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Do you have ophthalmic Polysporin there?
Phwoar!!! I just love it when chicks talk all sexy like that

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
jpmcgrew, we had to visit our ophthalmologist about this issue a few years ago and it will keep coming back unless you can get it to a head and drain it. The sure fire way to do that is to put heat on it. You will see it come to a head and then it will quickly burst and drain itself. The doctor recommended that you heat a small spoon in a glass of hot water (as hot as you can stand it) and put that over your eye as often as possible. Don't wash with anything except clear water. You can use tea bags or hot compresses to heat it up, but the spoon works best. The other option was surgery to remove it (EEK!!), we opted for the hot spoon and it worked like a charm. Took a couple of days though. Good luck. I know how irritating they can be.
Alix, this is the best tip ever!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this. I can see lots of uses for this method, too.

JP, my doc told me that as we get older, our eyes get drier. Since one purpose of tears is to keep our eyes clean, we tend to get more stys and other eye infections as we age and produce fewer tears. If you discover you are getting stys more often, you might look into using artificial tears. Since I started using them regularly, I haven't gotten another sty or infection.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
Everymom

You're very welcome Fisher's Mom. I hope it helps some. Thats one of the things I like best about this place, we all share the things that have worked well for us. Pool all our knowledge.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
It really does work well. I hope that clears it up for you. Do you have ophthalmic Polysporin there? Its usually behind the pharmacists counter here, but it is available without prescription. Once that sty drains I would put some of that in/on it. Nice little antibiotic to kill any remaining germs.
Alix, DH is about 2 hours from home after being in Dallas for a week he is stopping at the pharmacy for me I would have done it but its hard to make the 90 mile round trip for some little thing. Thank God for cell phones or he wouldn't even know that it moved to my lower eye. The upper eye is clear as of yesterday.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I tried to tell DH it's his fault because I had to clean the cat box everyday while he was gone He didn't fall for it
Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
JG--not to play doctor here but if it continues I'd check with a real doc just to be sure that you don't have an ongoing staph infection. Once those get started it's very difficult to get rid of them and they can lead to some serious complications---I ended up with a permanent scar on my upper lip because of one of those infections and it also spread to my nose. Be sure that you are not onlyare you washing your hands thoroughly but that you are also using a hand sanitizer ---GermX is very good and doesn't dry your hands out as it has moisturizers before any contact with your eyes. I agree with the others that warm compresses will really help---hope you get well soon
Last one I had, I did go to the doctor. I did what he said about hot compresses. When it didn't get better, went back; told me to continue with hot packs. So still having trouble went to different eye doctor. He had to use some kind of laser to destroy it. Like surgery. I do have a scar but not as bad as having no help from the first doctor. What a dork. Dummy! Just let it continue to get worse. He has a big practice here in St Louis. Was I the only one who he didn't know how to treat? I do think it was something to do with eyelash. Do not wear mascara too much. Hope you got good doctor jpmc.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

And do throw any mascara if you've had an eye infection or you will be reinfecting yourself--- just like you're supposed to throw out toothbrushes after having orally induced infections like the flu, colds, etc. Glad that your eye infection finally got cleared up ITK!