"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sty in my eye

Ive had a sty in my eye before in fact it was many years ago.Then it was no big deal a little bump and then it's gone. This time I think I had two on my upper lid they were very irritating and a lot of swelling but after 2 days they settled down. Well now I have one on the bottom lid it hurts and is swollen.
So bottom line does any one have a home recipe to speed this along?
Oh! Does anyone know what causes this pain in the butt?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't have a home remedy, but one thing we always kept on hand that helped a lot with that was eye wash. There are a few brands. It comes with a little eye cup (make sure to clean it well after each use) that lets you clean the eye really well. It is gentle and doesn't sting or anything. They sell it pretty much anywhere that sells eye drops or liquid tears.

Barbara

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks Barb, I have some Bausch and Lomb eye wash it seems to be helping.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My mom used to get them and she put hot, wet packs on the sty 3 - 4 times a day. It seemed to make them go away in a day or 2. She also used boric acid eye washes that she bought at the pharmacy. HTH, JP. Nothing hurts worse than a sty.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
My mom used to get them and she put hot, wet packs on the sty 3 - 4 times a day.
I remember now that I used to do that too, along with the eye wash. If nothing else, it made it feel better for awhile.

Barbara
Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Executive Chef

We always used Golden Eye Ointment whenever we had a stye. We would put it on the eye before going to bed as it gets all liquidy when you apply heat to it, in this case body heat. Didn't usually take more than a couple of days treatment to get rid of them if you acted quickly. As to why you are getting them, I would suggest that you are rubbing the eye, perhaps unwittingly, and spreading the bugs. Even if you aren't, if you are letting them "explode", the pus will spread along the eye. Always wash your hand after touching your eye. If you wear contacts, try glasses for a bit, and keep your glasses clean too. Avoid little hands touching your face for a bit too, just like you would if you had conjunctivitis or a cold sore.

My understanding is that they are infected eyelash follicles. As to why they start, well why does a hair on your leg suddenly go icky?? Same reason. Big difference is you can put facial toner or a masque on your leg and you can't do that to your eye!!! :-)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I remember now that I used to do that too, along with the eye wash. If nothing else, it made it feel better for awhile.

Barbara
Ditto. A nice, hot as you can stand it washcloth always brought relief.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Master Chef

JG--not to play doctor here but if it continues I'd check with a real doc just to be sure that you don't have an ongoing staph infection. Once those get started it's very difficult to get rid of them and they can lead to some serious complications---I ended up with a permanent scar on my upper lip because of one of those infections and it also spread to my nose. Be sure that you are not onlyare you washing your hands thoroughly but that you are also using a hand sanitizer ---GermX is very good and doesn't dry your hands out as it has moisturizers before any contact with your eyes. I agree with the others that warm compresses will really help---hope you get well soon
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I always heard that a Sty is caused by the same bacteria that causes pimples. In fact, a Sty is nothing more than a pimple, but in your eyelid.

I've had a few, and boy, did they hurt!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Fusidic acid is helpful, but you can only get that from a doctors note I think.

when it comes to Eyes, it`s ALWAYS best to consult a Medical professional before taking any other action!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote