Substitute for caraway seeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eml862

Assistant Cook
Hi folks. This is my first post so be patient and kind.

My way hates the flavor of anise. I am planning on doing a batch of rye bread and it calls for caraway seeds. I know that you can use fennel, but its the same flavor. A friend suggested sesame seeds, its kind of a neutral taste.

Any ideas?

Welcome to DC. We'll be nice for the first couple of days. Then you're on your own.

Nothing will match the flavor of caraway. You could just make it with no seeds at all.

Welcome to DC! Not similar to caraway, would be put dill seed instead of the caraway. There is another seed (it is black, the name escapes me--often used in Kosher bread-making).

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times New Roman, sans-serif]Charnushka (Nigella Sativa)-
[/FONT]Tiny, black, smoky flavored seeds found atop Jewish rye bread in New York. Used in Armenia, Lebanon, Israel, and India. Also referred to as black caraway or kalonji, charnushka is used heavily in garam masala.

Hello, welcome!
You could try Cumin seeds instead. not aniseed flavor at all of course but very tasty. Seeds of some kind will give texture. Poppy seeds would be nice or pumpkin seeds are great but use fewer if you go with this option though as they are bigger.
Good luck anyhow.;)

Back
Top Bottom