"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Is it possible that the comments come from someone who has nothing else to compare with? Perhaps all they know is pre-packaged mixes....and it's not meant to be an insult at all. Rather, they are simply trying to be complimentary.
Hard to say, really, without actually seeing/knowing the people.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #22
Head Chef

I get mostly good comments on my cooking. I have one friend who will tell me he likes something I've made (a side dish, usually) just not enough to eat it. Mostly, he does like my cooking.

In our 32 years of marriage, my husband only one time told me gently, that I didn't have to make a particular dish again. Not sure what it was, but it had cabbage in it.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
...In our 32 years of marriage, my husband only one time told me gently, that I didn't have to make a particular dish again. Not sure what it was, but it had cabbage in it.

Sometimes, you just don't like a recipe. That's not a reflection on the cook's ability.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #24
Everymom

Been there corazon, and I didn't much care for it either. I put a smile on my face and fumed silently til the offender had gone. They were never invited back needless to say.

My family is pretty good. (But they have seen my temper!) If they don't care for something they just eat everything else and quietly leave what they don't like on their plates.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
Head Chef

I don't get insulted.... because there are foods that, no matter who prepared
them or how... I will not like.

So I just assume that the complainer is in the same boat.
Or they had a bad day and I'm the dog being kicked...

I guess I get my happiness and sense of self worth out of the cooking, not
the reception by the consumers, LOL! If I like it and I enjoyed cooking it, then
all is well....

If they don't like it.... MORE FOR ME!

For example.. you could make the world's best eggplant anything, and I will not
touch it. Or you could make a superb (to you) pasta sauce, but if it is really sweet,
I won't be impressed. Or or or.... each person's taste buds are their own. Look inward
for happiness! :)
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Just a thought, Grilling Fool. Don't open a reataurant.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
Master Chef

My ex couldn't do anything around the house, but he had a cousin who was quite handy, and he often helped us out. In return, I'd cook a meal for him, his wife and their three boys.
His wife was an ignorant, hypocritical woman with a big mouth, and she never approved of me because I drank and smoked, which made me a wicked woman in her eyes.

Anyway, after I started gardening and canning, we had the family over to dinner (cousin had hooked up our clothes dryer), and I made stuffed peppers, green beans with new potatoes, corn and pickled beets. As I was getting supper on the table, she spent the time loudly preaching to me the dangers of home canning. I assured her that I followed all the federally approved instructions, but my assurances seemed to fall on deaf ears.

As she dished up the boys plates, she made sure they got nothing she thought I might have canned. One of the little ones wanted some corn, and she said, "No, you can't have that. It's no good."
I had to smile, though, as she dipped up the new potatoes, as I had canned those, too.

Her husband ignored her rantings (which I suspect is how he managed to stand living with her), ate everything I'd fixed and went back for more.

It comes down to the fact that some people are just plain rude.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just a thought, Grilling Fool. Don't open a reataurant.
Why? Is it a requirement that a restaurant cook/chef has to have an attitude
about their food skills? It often sounds like it around here.

I didn't say that I don't care about the QUALITY of my cooking.....I know
it rocks.

I just don't get my panties in a wad if someone doesn't like something I cook.
As I said, I don't invest my self-worth in stuff like that. I KNOW I can cook and cook well.

I also know that each person's taste is different, and that people complain
for a host of reasons, some accurate and some just venting.
If the complaint is valid (Hey man, you burnt the **** out of that... or hey, too salty...) then I accept and learn from it. But otherwise... to each their own.

Besides, restauranting is too much work, and cooking is too much fun!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
...I guess I get my happiness and sense of self worth out of the cooking, not the reception by the consumers, LOL! If I like it and I enjoyed cooking it, then all is well....

If they don't like it.... MORE FOR ME!...

It is the above portion of your post that prompted my response.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
Sous Chef

My Chinese exchange student adds soy sauce and hot chili sauce to EVERYTHING I cook. Spaghetti, Asian stir frys, even pancakes. At first I was insulted, but then I figured if I was in China I'd probably want to remove some of the soy sauce in their food just so I wouldn't have to eat it for every meal.

The real insult is when my husband also reaches for the chili sauce, implying that my cooking was too bland for his Idaho-boy tastes.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote