"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #51
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Care to share recipe. I make thin crust pizza, but we have friends who love deep dish one, need good recipe.
Standard bread recipe, 2 batches:

Since this isn't the place I'll write the basics.

18 oz water, 1 Tb sugar, 2 ts cake yeast, 10 oz flour, watch to make sure yeast lives, then stow in cooler overnight.

The rest:

in bowl, 2 oz water, 3 ts cake yeast, 1 ts sugar, let sit to liven up.

add to sponge.

add 22 oz flour (or more or less). Knead.

Add 1 TB Kosher Salt, 2nd knead. Dust with whole wheat or all purpose.

Nothing unusual. Nothing special.

Hard part: Leave rise in cooler 1 ~ 2 days.

Now the dough is ready to be made into ... Kaisers? Pizza? Baguettes? Maybe even bread. I know, the Blasphemy!! Each are suppose to have their own special dough .....

If I'm making Garlic Herb I add these to the sponge while waiting for the second yeast to wake up.

Let the dough come up to room temp.

For the pizza I work it a little to redistribute the yeast. Form it, rest it, shape it, coat the bottom of a 14 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil, insert dough, bead of oil around dough perimeter and lightly coat the top. Rise.

Hmm, this is becoming involved.

Top (I use chopped stewed tomatoes and reduce/ herb the juice), put in 400 degree oven 15 minutes, cover with foil (laid on top), cook another 15.

Of course this depends on skillet weight (the ones I use are heavy) and the oven, and the amount of toppings.

What makes it so good is that it is different, around here you can't get a real thick and light pizza, Specially with an almost oil bread/dough.

Time to pack up the mixer and head over.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #52
Senior Cook
What makes me do the slow bun is when I prepare a steak or roast and someone asks for ketchup

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
What makes me do the slow bun is when I prepare a steak or roast and someone asks for ketchup
lordy, lordy, me too. especially if i paid a small fortune for the meat. babe
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
sometimes it works the opposite for me. i make a killer chicken cassor. when ever i serve it people love it.so when ever i have a bday dinner for family members, that is what they always ask for. i am so sick of making it. i try offering other things and the answer is always no. they want that **** cassor. my oldest grandson and wife coming for his bday dinner. guess what he wants.lol. i offered shrimp scampi but it was no go. all in all i make it sixteen times a year, at the very least. have offered the recipe but nope , only mine is good enough for them. flattering for sure, but boring.it is good but it is not that good, babe[/quote

When are you inviting the rest of us over for your killer chicken casserole?
come on over , i will make it for u . ONCE, lol. i really am bored with it. babe
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #55
Head Chef
Corazon, I wish I could have had that meal.

I am sure it was great.

Let me turn my attention to guests.

I very much appreciate anyone who has the kindness to prepare a meal for me.

If it includes bananas and hard boiled eggs, both of which I detest, I will eat them.

Will always thank the person for their efforts, and make them feel good.

The host has duties as being the host and the guest has reciprocal duties.

I do not understand how anyone could try to diminish ones efforts in the kitchen.

Give me a meal. Thank you. It is great. That is the way I was brought up and that is the way I think folks should act.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #56
Executive Chef
That's how I was raised too Dot.

Even if you don't like the food you still eat it to be polite. And lots of compliments to the host.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #57
Executive Chef
This past week, I was in Vegas for our birth. Our daughter asked me to make her pot roast, I did. Good cut of meat, onions, carrots, potatoes, broth, red wine, seasonings, it was lovely. I ran to the hospital [no time for me to eat dinner] being the first one to see our Landon. When I arrived at the hospital, my son asked me, "Mom, did you bring my dinner?" I didn't think he wanted any and no one reminded me to make him a plate to take to the hospital. Our daughter arrived and he said thanks to her, sarcastically. She said, "You really didn't miss much, we had to put Worchestershire sauce on it to make it palatable. Sorry Mom, it wasn't very good, it was very tough meat." Since I didn't have any myself, I felt badly but thought oh well, my little baby is so cute, forget dinner.

I visited the hospital the next day but before going, I called. He asked me to bring him a sandwich, he was starving. I made him a [pot] roast beef sandwich and another one of turkey/cheese/ham. Chips, cookies, sodas, etc. He opened the bag of lunch while I snatched Landon. He said, "Thanks mom, this is wonderful, I was starving, I love roast beef sandwiches."

So see, yep, I get those cuts all the time but there's always some good that comes out of it, even if it's me telling me how good it is.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #58
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Standard bread recipe, 2 batches:

Since this isn't the place I'll write the basics.
Thank you very much.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote