Summer party.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Ok i know this is going to get moved but i really did not know where to put it.

Ok so here it is. Last August, for a church/communitee function. I was put in charge to cook for 850 people for a Hawaiian Lou-ow. I was also in charge of entertainment. Luckily i know alot of Hawaiian dancers. The menu was awesome. I cooked 15-20 pork butts and 150 pounds of chicken. There were tons of sides such as Rice, salad, Fruit, desserts and plenty of other good stuff. I did it all for under 750$. Thankfully i had over 60 people donate side dishes and what not.

Well last night i get a call from a lady in my Neighborhood to meet at her house at 6:30 to discuss the summer party. This year i told them i will do the cooking but i will not do both the cooking and finding the entertainment. Last year was my first year. They agreed. Well they want to do a Latin American theme.

Taco salads and chilie is our main dish. I would like some ideas if possible for really good taco meat. I was going to do shredded beef, since last year i did pulled pork. They wanted ground beef. Fine with me. Means less work. So i need a tasty ground beef recipe for taco meat and possible serving suggestions of meat per salad. i was thinking half cup to a cup.

The next item of business is the chili. I need 800 cups of chili. i am going to have volunteers bring the chili so some of it will be homemade while some of it will be store bought and heated in a crok pot. I was thinking of printing up a recipe and passing out to a select few of the volunteers so that we have a verity of chili. Thats were you guys come in. I need a simple recipe that will be tasty and simple. Possibly use already canned chili as the main ingredient and add to it.

I appreciate the help. Last year before i became a member here, i had tons of help from kamodos forum. The cool thing about this project is that no one gets paid and that its all service work and donations.

Here are some pics form last year.

there ya go. enjoy

Ok, here's a couple I have. The yield on both of these is for home use, so you'll definitely need to bump it up. I haven't made a batch of chili like this in years, so the quantities could be off. You might want to make a test-batch to confirm the quantities, before you multiply the recipe for your function. I also like to use half beef and half bulk Mexican chorizo, but that can affect how much seasoning you put into the chili.

Allen’s Mexican Seasoning Mix
Yields: ~ 1 ¾ c

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
¼ c onion powder
1/8 c oregano
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

Allen’s Basic Chili
Yields: 2 - 3 qt

1# hamburger
1 - 2 T Mexican Seasoning mix
1 c chopped onion
1 - 2 t minced garlic
One 15 oz can beans (I use pinto)
One 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
Salt, to taste

Heat a heavy-bottom saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat for a minute or two. Add the hamburger and brown. When the beef is almost done cooking, add the onion, garlic, and Mexican seasoning. Stir and cook, until the onion is just starting to go soft. Add the beans and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes until the flavors marry. Taste for salt, and add more if needed.

Oh shoot. I forgot to mention about taco meat. You can, if you want, use the same Mexican seasoning mix I've given you, and brown some beef (or half beef and half bulk Mexican chorizo), and season to taste with the seasoning mix. "Taco seasoning" packets contain similar seasoning, dehydrated tomato powder, and cornstarch, so that when you brown the meat, add the seasoning, and a little water, you get a quickie tomato-flavored seasoned sauce. You can replicate this by either adding some tomato sauce along with the seasoning. Since you're going to be making this in bulk, I wouldn't worry about thickening it. Just add enough tomato sauce to moisten the beef mixture a little bit. I can't give you exact quantities on this, as I'm just going with my gut instinct.

Last edited:
Ok, here's a couple I have. The yield on both of these is for home use, so you'll definitely need to bump it up. I haven't made a batch of chili like this in years, so the quantities could be off. You might want to make a test-batch to confirm the quantities, before you multiply the recipe for your function. I also like to use half beef and half bulk Mexican chorizo, but that can affect how much seasoning you put into the chili.

Allen’s Mexican Seasoning Mix
Yields: ~ 1 ¾ c

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
¼ c onion powder
1/8 c oregano
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

Allen’s Basic Chili
Yields: 2 - 3 qt

1# hamburger
1 - 2 T Mexican Seasoning mix
1 c chopped onion
1 - 2 t minced garlic
One 15 oz can beans (I use pinto)
One 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
Salt, to taste

Heat a heavy-bottom saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat for a minute or two. Add the hamburger and brown. When the beef is almost done cooking, add the onion, garlic, and Mexican seasoning. Stir and cook, until the onion is just starting to go soft. Add the beans and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes until the flavors marry. Taste for salt, and add more if needed.

thanx Al. i will have to make this. The party is June 7th so i have to worry abut school and finals along with this. Its no biggie. Keeps me out of trouble. This will probably be my last year because i will most likely be married next year. However if i am still living in Utah and in draper i will still help with these functions. why i am telling you this, i have no idea. LOL

any way thanx for the recipe. Gonna make it this week if i can find the motivation

So is this the nurse? Or have we moved on?:)

LOL, no i want to marry a nurse but since i dont have a GF and girls that i have tried to date are just being rude and never want to call me back. so i say good riddance to em. i deserve better. I believe in dating for 6-7 months and then being engaged for 4 months and then marriage. The reason i say next year is becasue i have set a goal. its a very realistic goal to. Next spring is perfect for a weddin. I will be almost 25 by then to. May is a great month.

Last edited:
chili today and hot tamales lol

at the market where i shop, they have "brick chili" looks like its name. i cook beans, drain a bit if necessary and add a brick,then cooked crumbled ground beef, onions, and what ever else u like in chili. it is a mellow chili, not to hot.the brick dissolves in the liquid. i cook in crockpot for about six hours to cook the beans.

serve with bowls of toppings, cheese, olives, hot sauce, oyster crackers etc.

babe:chef:

QQ, since we will be serving southwest chipolti salad with chicken or beef. People voted for having black beans or pinto beans in the salad. How much is a serving of black beans. i dont want to add to many to the salad. I was thinking somewhere around 1/4 cup.
Here is what the salad will be like:

Romane Lettuce
Cubed seasoned chicken or ground beef
Black or pinto beans
Fiesta Ranch or ranch or Italian
Tortilla strips
Cheese
Diced tomatoes (might be replaced with salsa)

Then we have the sides such as:
Fruit
Rotessori Pineapple
Chip's and salsa
Deserts
Rice
Bean dip ( might not happen)
Guacamole dip

So much to do and a month and a half left
ARG

Back
Top Bottom