Sunday Breakfast vs. School or Work Day Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
As my kids were growing up, getting them up in the morning for school some days was a full blown task. So one morning when I was up earlier than usual, I decided to have a nice hot breakfast ready for them. Up to that time, cold cereal with milk was the norm. Or those instant packets of Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal.

Some mornings it was French Toast, pancakes, soft boiled eggs, oven cooked bacon. The eggs always got toast with their breakfast. I wasn't running a restaurant. You didn't get to choose what your wanted. I wasn't working at the time. It was during that time when Mom stayed home and Dad went off to work.

One of the side benefits that took me completely by surprise was that their school grades started to improve.

So my question is:

Did you give your children a bowl of cereal or a nice hot meal on school days?

Last edited:
...So my question is:

Did you give your children a bowl of cereal or a nice hot meal on school days?

No they get themselves up and go to work long before I'm out of bed.

We never did hot breakfasts for the kids except on non-school days. Just cereal and juice. On weekends I'd make chocolate chip pancakes. Their mom wasn't allowed to make them.

Our exchange students fended for themselves. I didn't get up till after they had left for school [emoji38] although DH was up. They had cereal, yogurt, fruit and bread available. Europeans don't typically have a hot breakfast, so it didn't bother them.

My wife gets up everyday before our son gets up, or if we have guests - before they do, and is more than happy to make anything that anyone wants. She's always been a very sound sleeper and early riser. The boy usually only wants a buttered roll and OJ during the school week, though. Maybe cereal and milk, however he eats the cereal dry, then drinks a glass of milk.

Depending on the season, he usually has something a little more substantial on Saturdays. Before football games, or rugby games, or his MMA training, my wife will will make him oatmeal, or hard boiled eggs and toast, or peanut butter and bananas on toast.

The only exception is Sunday morning when I get home from work around 11. I stop off at 1 of several delis to pick up things for brunch. Cold cuts, cheeses, smoked fish, Belgian waffles, fried chicken, and so on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom