Sunday Special - Back to grade school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special - Back to grade school

Everyone gets a shot at an A today;
Q’s are extracted directly from Jeff Foxworthy’s TV show.............
1st Grade -
1. What’s the tenth month of the year ?
2nd Grade -
2. What’s the only Marsupial native to North America ?
3. What’s the highest whole number with only one syllable ?
4. If Bobby receives $5 per week in allowance, how much does he get for the year ?
3rd grade -
5. The word “motel” is a derivative of the word “hotel” and what ?
6. The first six US Presidents all came from two States ; what are they ?
4th Grade -
7. true or false ; Moss is an example of a non-vascular plant.
8. The largest volcano known in our Solar System is located on what planet ?
5th grade -
9. How many adverbs in this sentence ?
“Jack jumped incredibly high !”
10. In greek Mythology, what brother of Zeus was God of the underworld ?
11. True or false ; The Spanish alphabet has more letters than the English alphabet.
6th grade -
12. The Yucca is the official flower of what US State ?
13. The Salamander is not a reptile, but ................what ?
14. How many US States begin with the letter “I” ?
7th Grade
15. What State has the most National Forest Acreage ?
16. By volume, what percentage of our atmosphere is oxygen ?
a. - 20%
b. – 40%
c. – 60%
d. – 80%
17. The ancient culture of Mycenae was a part of the modern country of ...........what ?
8th Grade -
18. If a rock is “Friable” it is....
a. – crumbly
b. – multi-colored
c. – volcanic
d. porous
19. If 5x - 4 = 26, what does x equal?
a. - 4
b. - 2
c. - 6
d. – 5
20. In 1803 President Thomas Jefferson bought a large amount of land from the French. What was this event called?
1. October
2. the opossum
3. twelve
4. $260
5. Motor
6. Virginia and Massachusetts
7. true
8. Mars
9. 2
10. Hades
11. true
12. New Mexico
13. Amphibian
14. – 4
7th Grade -
15. Alaska
16. – a
17. Greece
18. – a
19. – c
20. The Louisiana Purchase

I'm surprised I got them all right. Except for possum--possum is the colloq. word--oppossum is the full name. BTW, oppossums are walking across the bridge at Niagara Falls (they've been caught on video tape) and entering Ontario. Wonder if they carry their passports in their pouches?) They are not indigenous in Ontario. Because they have bare feet and tails, the winters in Ontario are very hard on them. Most do not live more than 2 winters here.

I missed 10 and 17 even though I am sure I was taught these things at some point. ;)

I have a bit of disagreement re: the adverbs. Technically, one could argue that one is an adjective used in an adverbial position, but that would be the linguist in me, and at that age, I wasn't a linguist! (And, there are those who would counter with the argument that that would be splitting fine hairs.)

I have a bit of disagreement re: the adverbs. Technically, one could argue that one is an adjective used in an adverbial position, but that would be the linguist in me, and at that age, I wasn't a linguist! (And, there are those who would counter with the argument that that would be splitting fine hairs.)

you'll have to argue this with the Foxworthy crew................ not my q's, not my a's.

But I feel I must comment to this extent............ an adjective used in an adverbial position is not anything I heard in fifth grade !

Last edited:
you'll have to argue this with the Foxworthy crew................ not my q's, not my a's.

But I feel I must comment to this extent............ an adjective used in an adverbial position is not anything I heard in fifth grade !
Which is exactly why I "counted" it as an adverb--because I didn't know about adjectives used in the adverbial position in fifth grade either--I only learned about that in grad school! Grade 15 or 16? Not covered in the average fifth grade English class (unless the teacher is also a linguist...).

I got loads wrong lol! I'm not American so I guess I get points for that lol!
Got everything right that had nothing to do with US History though!

Back
Top Bottom