Sunday Special-Book Learnin'
Sunday Special-Book Learnin'
1. In Sumerian times (3500 BCE), the "book" was produced in the form of a clay tablet.
Later, two other forms were invented; the scroll form was one; what was the other?
2. Who invented movable type ?
3. Steven Day printed what is believed to be the first book published in America, in what
4. Do you recall the name of the publishing company that, in 1939, began selling the first
"paperback" versions of popular novels?
5. Fill in the blank;
Remington & Sons introduced the typewriter in 1873.
The first "type-written" manuscript to be accepted by a publisher was "The Adventures of
Tom Sawyer", in _____.
6. Author Robert A. Heinlein has won 4 Hugo awards for best Science Fiction novel: fill
in the missing title;
"The Man Who Sold the Moon", in 1951 ..."Double Star", in 1956, "Starship Troopers",
1960, "________ __ _ _______ ____", in 1962, and "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", in
7. Another blank to fill in;
British writer ______ ________ is believed to be the best-selling author of all time, with
over two BILLION copies sold to date (2006).
8. The Book-of-the-Month club has been in operation since what year?
9. What year did Oprah's Book Club get goin' ?
10.. What title was Oprah's first choice for recommendation?
11. Most experts agree on the best-selling book of all time; name it.
12. A certain work set a one-day sales record (Fiction) on July 16, 2005, by selling about
6.9 MILLION copies on that day...........can you give me the title (as a bonus), or at least
13. The record for most one-day sales (Non-Fiction) was titled "MY LIFE", and sold
about 400,000 copies on June 22, 2004, breaking the one-day record of 210,000 set by
the memoir, "Living History". Who are the authors of these two record-setters?
(Hint; they have the same last name...)
14. To which city in the world must I travel to visit, with more than 29 million books, the
world's largest library?
15. Why was an illustrated copy of "Little Red Riding Hood" banned by two USA school
a. a wolf cross-dressing as Grandma
b. a little girl traveling alone in forest
c. little girl carrying wine to Grandma
d. Wood-cutter kills wolf with bloody axe
16. What illustrated book has the distinction of fetching the highest price ever for a book
at auction? (published in 1840, It sold for $8,802,500 in March 2000)
17. What author wrote Captains Courageous?
18. In what year is the novel Brave New World set?
19. How many tales are there in The Canterbury Tales?
20. What percentage of books published in the USA are soft-backed?
1. the Codex
2. Johann Gutenberg
4. Pocket Books
6. "Stranger in a Strange Land"
7. Agatha Christie
10. "The Deep End of the Ocean"
11. the Bible
12. J.K. Rowling (Bonus-"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
13. Bill Clinton -Hillary Clinton
14. Washington, D.C. (Library of Congress)
15. c-the idea was just too much for two California communities
16. J. J. Audubon's "The Birds of America"
17. Rudyard Kipling
18. 632 af
20. 80 %
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !