Sunday Special - Cajun Cooking, A to .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special - Cajun Cooking, A to .....

First answer begins with a, second with b, etc.

1. A spicy country sausage used in Gumbo and other Cajun dishes.
2. Delicious sweet doughnuts, square-shaped and minus the hole, lavishly sprinkled with powdered sugar.
3. A rich, spicy tomato-based soup or stew made with fish fillets, onions, and sometimes mixed vegetables.
4. Pan-fried leftover cooked rice sauteed with green peppers, onion, celery, stock and giblets.
5. a. A succulent, tangy tomato-based sauce.
b. A "smothered" dish usually made with crawfish or shrimp.
6. A stew made by browning then removing meat from the pan, making a roux with the pan drippings, and then returning meat to simmer in the thick gravy.
7. a. In cooked foods, the crust formed by browning in contact with the pot or skillet.
b. A top crust consisting of browned crumbs and butter, often with grated cheese.
8. A cornbread-type mixture, formed into balls and fried until crispy and golden on the outside.
(we'll skip "I" )
9. Louisiana chefs "sweep up the kitchen" and toss just about everything into the pot. A rice dish with any combination of beef, pork, fowl, smoked sausage, ham, or seafood, as well as celery, green peppers and often tomatoes.
10. Traditional yeast coffee cake served during the Mardi Gras season. This cake honors the Magi who visited the Christ child on the "twelfth night" or Epiphany. The cake is a continuous circle, decorated with yellow, purple and green sugars, the colors of Mardi Gras.
11. This word is Cajun for "something extra," like the extra donut in a baker's dozen. An unexpected nice surprise.
12. A popular New Orleans French Quarter sandwich originating along Decatur Street near the Old French Market. Ham, salami and cheese are stacked with olive salad on a round loaf of French (or Italian) bread. It's served hot.
13. New ; Usually refers to new wines...
14. A special treat in Cajun land is a crisp, sugary and light pastry. Translates to "Pig's Ear", So called because once it is dropped into deep hot fat, and you give a swift twist to the center with a long handled fork as soon as it hits the grease, the pastry forms the shape that looks like a pig's ear.
15. Means "lost bread"; a breakfast treat made by soaking stale bread in an egg batter, then frying and topping with cane syrup or powdered sugar.
16. A spicy sauce used with shrimp and other seafood.
17. Means "spicy sauce"; is a spicy stew. made with any sort of meat, fish or game, served over rice or pasta.
18. Strips of spiced pork or beef which are smoked like jerky and used to flavor many dishes; a sort of Cajun pepperoni.
1. Andouille (ahn-do-ee)
2. Beignet (ben-yea)
3. Courtbouillon (coo-boo-yon)
4. Dirty Rice
5. Etoufee (ay-too-fay)
6. Fricassee (free-kay-say)
7. Gratin
8. Hushpuppies
9. Jambalaya (jum-bo-lie-yah)
10. King Cake
11. Lagniappe (lan-yap)
12. Muffuletta
13. Nouveau
14. Oreilles De Cochon
15. Pain Perdu (pan-pear-doo
(We'll skip over "Q" also)
16. Remoulade (rem-oo-lard)
17. Sauce Piquante (saws-pee-kawnt)
18. Tasso (Tah-Soh)

1. Andouille (ahn-do-ee)
2. Beignet (ben-yea)
3. Courtbouillon (coo-boo-yon)
4. Dirty Rice
5. Etoufee (ay-too-fay)
6. Fricassee (free-kay-say)
7. Gratin
8. Hushpuppies
9. Jambalaya (jum-bo-lie-yah)
10. King Cake
11. Lagniappe (lan-yap)
12. Muffuletta
13. Nouveau
14. Oreilles De Cochon
15. Pain Perdu (pan-pear-doo
(We'll skip over "Q" also)
16. Remoulade (rem-oo-lard)
17. Sauce Piquante (saws-pee-kawnt)
18. Tasso (Tah-Soh)

I watched a lot of Justin Wilson and got every Cajun cookbook I could lay my hands on.

Justin Wilson!?! He wasn't even Cajun! He was a phoney, and his accent was as fake as Bozo's hair! He made money making Cajuns appear stupid, and all they cooked was spicy hot. What he often confused for Cajun was actually creole (a different thing entirely.) He was a self-proclaimed chef.

What he was, was a storyteller who used food for a basis of his humor in books and records as well as on TV.

Justin Wilson!?! He wasn't even Cajun! He was a phoney, and his accent was as fake as Bozo's hair! He made money making Cajuns appear stupid, and all they cooked was spicy hot. What he often confused for Cajun was actually creole (a different thing entirely.) He was a self-proclaimed chef.

What he was, was a storyteller who used food for a basis of his humor in books and records as well as on TV.

That all may be, however, if not for Justin Wilson on the old TLC channel, I wouldn't have ever tried experimenting with different foods and playing with flavors. :mrgreen:

Justin Wilson never ‘proclaimed’ himself as a 'Chef'.... However, he did say many times ....”but I’m a damn good cook”....sometimes adding his trademark line “I Garontee” ~~ A Cajun? He never ‘proclaimed’ that either...He did say with pride “I am a “Half-bleed” Cajun. My Momma, (Olivet Wilson) was pure Louisiana French Cajun. ~~ What he was, was a Safety Engineer, a humorist (and a darn good one) a good, kind, and gentle man. ~ Did he 'embellish' his accent? A little bit, when performing ~ ~ The man you saw on Television *Was* Justin Wilson!

Last edited:
Uncle Bob said:
Justin Wilson never ‘proclaimed’ himself as a 'Chef'.... However, he did say many times ....”but I’m a damn good cook”....sometimes adding his trademark line “I Garontee” ~~ A Cajun? He never ‘proclaimed’ that either...He did say with pride “I am a “Half-bleed” Cajun. My Momma, (Olivet Wilson) was pure Louisiana French Cajun. ~~ What he was, was a Safety Engineer, a humorist (and a darn good one) a good, kind, and gentle man. ~ Did he 'embellish' his accent? A little, when performing ~ ~ The man you saw on Television *Was* Justin Wilson!

I LOVED Justin Wilson! I also loved Graham Kerr and Martin Yan. All wonderful entertainers, and admittedly, predated my interest in cooking.

my Uncle Pat in New Orleans still has all his comedy records. Lighten up, Selkie, Emeril's from Rhode Island, for pete's sake, but I still think he's OK.

my Uncle Pat in New Orleans still has all his comedy records. Lighten up, Selkie, Emeril's from Rhode Island, for pete's sake, but I still think he's OK.

Why are you mentioning Emeril? I never said a thing about Emeril.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom