"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You are so right, the most important thing I learned was how little I really knew and how to find it. When all else fails, I ask Daddy!

I had the unfortunate experience of having a TA in my Public Speaking class who shot down all my ideas for research. She finally okayed one on Censorship...she regretted it and I got a standing ovation from the kids in the class. I aimed the entire speech at her, after she had refused a subject the day before my speech was due, I did all the research, did my outline and wrote the speech in 4 hours that night. I was easily the oldest in the class, I was 36 and the rest of the students were about 20. They had my back against this tyrant. Best and hardest grade I ever worked for.
That's funny! It was about the same age difference for me when I was in college. One of my favorite oral presentations was one that my team-mates weren't too thrilled about at first but learned to love. It was in my Art for Elementary Teachers class. We had to do an oral presentation on color. Again, everyone went for what I thought were ordinary and somewhat boring topics. I suggested to my group that we do a presentation on the colors of weddings and funerals around the world. It was a fascinating subject (for me anyway) to research, and we ended up with a pretty good presentation.

Oh, you mentioned "how to find it." That was one of the things I always taught my 4th grade students. You don't have to have everything stuffed in your brain, you just have to know how to find it.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Oh, you mentioned "how to find it." That was one of the things I always taught my 4th grade students. You don't have to have everything stuffed in your brain, you just have to know how to find it.
I think that concept should be taught more in school. There's nothing wrong with knowing, but finding an answer is just as or more educational.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think that concept should be taught more in school. There's nothing wrong with knowing, but finding an answer is just as or more educational.
Yep! Especially with things changing so fast. Of course they didn't change as much as some of my students thought they do. For instance, when I was teaching about Magellan trying to circumnavigate the earth, when we got to the part about him being killed in the Philippines, one of my students asked me (in all seriousness), "Is he still dead?"
Old 11-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, some things have to be experienced for them to take on meaning.

I love taking a walk with a young child and looking at things from their point of view, it's so nice to not be in a hurry for a goal, but to hurry to each new thing.

But, I am much better 1:1 with kids, not whole groups of them.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Everymom

Ah, a couple of teachers! I love it. (PF, I know you're a nurse, you count anyway!)

I have been marking papers for the last little while, and one of my stipulations for the research paper I assigned was that they could NOT use the internet for all their sources. They needed 3 types of sources - any three, you have no idea how much whining there was around that little rule of mine!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Ah, a couple of teachers! I love it. (PF, I know you're a nurse, you count anyway!)

I have been marking papers for the last little while, and one of my stipulations for the research paper I assigned was that they could NOT use the internet for all their sources. They needed 3 types of sources - any three, you have no idea how much whining there was around that little rule of mine!
Oh, I can imagine! I still head for the bookshelves first! If I use the Internet it's to find and order another source. And you are right, Alix, I do a lot of teaching in my job. I love it!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm glad you included that stipulation Alix. There are so many places to find information! Not the least of which is people in the field you are studying. When I was writing a paper on bats (I LOVE bats) for my Coastal Biology class, somehow I lucked out and a bat expert came to my house and let me interview her. She demonstrated some of her bat hunting equipment and gave me a lot of information. I learned so much from her!

Barbara