Sunday Special - Hail to the Chief!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special - Hail to the Chief !
Today it's all about U.S. Presidents

1. Lincoln made him the first three-star General of the Army...
2. Jimmy Carter made him the only Six-Star General...
3. His initials could also stand for "Fourteenth President"...
4. President elected by the largest electoral margin since 1872, when the
system was "modernized"....
5. Only President to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy
6. Two presidents who graduated from West Point...
7. Two Presidents who signed the Declaration of Independence...
8. Two Presidents who served in WWI...
9. Two Presidents buried at Arlington...
10. Two Presidents to serve less than a year...
11. Four Presidents for which State Capitals are named...
12. The latest of the five Presidents never elected to the office...
13. Two Presidents from Braintree, Mass.
14. State with the most natives to be President...
(Bonus; second most??)
15. President in office when the "Hot Line" to the Kremlin was installed....
16. The four Presidents killed by assassins...
17. The two Presidents wounded during assassination attempts (one was not the target)...
18. Presidential deaths-in-Office that were rumored to be assassinations...
19. Two First Ladies who recieved death threats...
20. Number of foiled assassination plots against Barak Obama so far...

1. U.S. Grant
2. George Washington
3. Franklin Pierce
4. Ronald Reagan - 1984
5. Jimmy Carter
6. Grant & Eisenhower
7. John Adams & Thomas Jefferson
8. Truman & Eisenhower
9. Taft & Kennedy
10. William Henry Harrison & Garfield
11. Lincoln, Madison, Jefferson & Jackson
12. Gerald Ford
13. John Adams & John Quincy Adams
14. Virginia (8) (Ohio- 7)
15. Kennedy
16. Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy
17. Teddy Roosevelt (he wasn't the target) and Reagan
18. Zachary Taylor and Warren G. Harding (Both were rumored to have been poisoned)
19. Eleanor Roosevelt, Michelle Obama
20. Four

I love anything to do with history, but I pretty much stink at presidential trivia!

1. U.S. Grant
2. George Washington
3. Franklin Pierce
4. Ronald Reagan - 1984
5. Jimmy Carter
6. Grant & Eisenhower
7. John Adams & Thomas Jefferson
8. Truman & Eisenhower

9. Taft & Kennedy
10. William Henry Harrison & Garfield
11. Lincoln, Madison, Jefferson & Jackson

12. Gerald Ford
13. John Adams & John Quincy Adams
14. Virginia (8)
(Ohio- 7)
15. Kennedy
16. Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy
17. Teddy Roosevelt (he wasn't the target) and Reagan
18. Zachary Taylor and Warren G. Harding (Both were rumored to have been poisoned)
19. Eleanor Roosevelt, Michelle Obama
20. Four

:)Barbara

Wrong history for me...Ancient British is my favorite! Right about the time Rome invaded and then left...

Wrong history for me...Ancient British is my favorite! Right about the time Rome invaded and then left...
I love that too, along with most history! When I was a little girl I read a lot about Colonial America, and I took a class in college on American women during the Colonial era. I also took Irish History, and European History during the Industrial Revolution. I love reading and watching anything about history, including good historical fiction (like many of James Michener's books, and Long's series, "The Australians."). My problem is that I very rarely remember details about anything I read or see (not just with history, but with a lot of things). Even if it totally holds my interest, I remember mostly generalities and have to go back to it for specifics.

I know the feeling, I know enough about alot of things, just enough to get me in trouble.

I think the best thing I got out of college was learning how to do research and how to put it on paper. All the rest was just window dressing. But, I love the windows! LOL!

I know the feeling, I know enough about alot of things, just enough to get me in trouble.

I think the best thing I got out of college was learning how to do research and how to put it on paper. All the rest was just window dressing. But, I love the windows! LOL!
One of the best things I got out of college was realizing how little I really knew (and I was pretty knowledgeable). I've always had a desire to learn, but that spurred me on even more.

I have always loved research too, but (other than for my master's) most of it has been for writing (creative and other writing). What bugged me about some of the other people in my classes was that they would come up with a specific topic first, and then go try to find stuff on it. Yes, sometimes we have to do that, but what I liked doing (when we had some freedom of topic) was finding out what was out there and then narrowing down the topic. I would have never thought to write about some of the things I did if I had not done that. One writing teacher liked doing themes for the semester. The theme for us that semester was Deafness. Almost everyone wrote on the same topics, but doing it the way I did, I ended up writing a paper on "hearing ear dogs," and one about special glasses NASA had developed to help hearing impaired people read lips.

LOL Sorry we have hijacked your trivia thread luckytrim!

One of the best things I got out of college was realizing how little I really knew (and I was pretty knowledgeable). I've always had a desire to learn, but that spurred me on even more.

I have always loved research too, but (other than for my master's) most of it has been for writing (creative and other writing). What bugged me about some of the other people in my classes was that they would come up with a specific topic first, and then go try to find stuff on it. Yes, sometimes we have to do that, but what I liked doing (when we had some freedom of topic) was finding out what was out there and then narrowing down the topic. I would have never thought to write about some of the things I did if I had not done that. One writing teacher liked doing themes for the semester. The theme for us that semester was Deafness. Almost everyone wrote on the same topics, but doing it the way I did, I ended up writing a paper on "hearing ear dogs," and one about special glasses NASA had developed to help hearing impaired people read lips.

LOL Sorry we have hijacked your trivia thread luckytrim!

You are so right, the most important thing I learned was how little I really knew and how to find it. When all else fails, I ask Daddy! :LOL:

I had the unfortunate experience of having a TA in my Public Speaking class who shot down all my ideas for research. She finally okayed one on Censorship...she regretted it and I got a standing ovation from the kids in the class. I aimed the entire speech at her, after she had refused a subject the day before my speech was due, I did all the research, did my outline and wrote the speech in 4 hours that night. I was easily the oldest in the class, I was 36 and the rest of the students were about 20. They had my back against this tyrant.:LOL: Best and hardest grade I ever worked for.

You are so right, the most important thing I learned was how little I really knew and how to find it. When all else fails, I ask Daddy! :LOL:

I had the unfortunate experience of having a TA in my Public Speaking class who shot down all my ideas for research. She finally okayed one on Censorship...she regretted it and I got a standing ovation from the kids in the class. I aimed the entire speech at her, after she had refused a subject the day before my speech was due, I did all the research, did my outline and wrote the speech in 4 hours that night. I was easily the oldest in the class, I was 36 and the rest of the students were about 20. They had my back against this tyrant.:LOL: Best and hardest grade I ever worked for.
That's funny! It was about the same age difference for me when I was in college. One of my favorite oral presentations was one that my team-mates weren't too thrilled about at first but learned to love. It was in my Art for Elementary Teachers class. We had to do an oral presentation on color. Again, everyone went for what I thought were ordinary and somewhat boring topics. I suggested to my group that we do a presentation on the colors of weddings and funerals around the world. It was a fascinating subject (for me anyway) to research, and we ended up with a pretty good presentation. :cool:

Oh, you mentioned "how to find it." That was one of the things I always taught my 4th grade students. You don't have to have everything stuffed in your brain, you just have to know how to find it.

Last edited:
Oh, you mentioned "how to find it." That was one of the things I always taught my 4th grade students. You don't have to have everything stuffed in your brain, you just have to know how to find it.

I think that concept should be taught more in school. There's nothing wrong with knowing, but finding an answer is just as or more educational.

I think that concept should be taught more in school. There's nothing wrong with knowing, but finding an answer is just as or more educational.
Yep! Especially with things changing so fast. Of course they didn't change as much as some of my students thought they do. For instance, when I was teaching about Magellan trying to circumnavigate the earth, when we got to the part about him being killed in the Philippines, one of my students asked me (in all seriousness), "Is he still dead?"

Yes, some things have to be experienced for them to take on meaning.

I love taking a walk with a young child and looking at things from their point of view, it's so nice to not be in a hurry for a goal, but to hurry to each new thing.

But, I am much better 1:1 with kids, not whole groups of them.

Ah, a couple of teachers! I love it. (PF, I know you're a nurse, you count anyway!)

I have been marking papers for the last little while, and one of my stipulations for the research paper I assigned was that they could NOT use the internet for all their sources. They needed 3 types of sources - any three, you have no idea how much whining there was around that little rule of mine!

Ah, a couple of teachers! I love it. (PF, I know you're a nurse, you count anyway!)

I have been marking papers for the last little while, and one of my stipulations for the research paper I assigned was that they could NOT use the internet for all their sources. They needed 3 types of sources - any three, you have no idea how much whining there was around that little rule of mine!

Oh, I can imagine! I still head for the bookshelves first! If I use the Internet it's to find and order another source. And you are right, Alix, I do a lot of teaching in my job. I love it!

I'm glad you included that stipulation Alix. There are so many places to find information! Not the least of which is people in the field you are studying. When I was writing a paper on bats (I LOVE bats) for my Coastal Biology class, somehow I lucked out and a bat expert came to my house and let me interview her. She demonstrated some of her bat hunting equipment and gave me a lot of information. I learned so much from her!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom