Sunday Special- The American Civil War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special- The American Civil War

FORGOTTEN FIRST: ON FEBRUARY 18, 1930, A COW FLEW IN AN AIRPLANE FOR THE FIRST TIME

1. How many states joined the Confederacy?
2. Who was Lincoln's first choice to head the Union Army when the confederates fired on Fort Sumter?
3. The President of the Confederacy was Jefferson Davis; can you name the Vice President?
4. What was the first state to secede from the union? What was the last state to do so?
5. What city was the first Confederate Capital?
6. Name the nurse who became famous as the "Angel of the Battlefield".
7. Name the man who led the raid on Harper's Ferry, 1859.
8. Name the ill-fated confederate submarine.
9. Name the two ships that made history in the first "Ironclad" Naval battle.
10. Which geographical area was known as the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy"?
11. Fill in the blank; The first major battle of the Civil war took place near Manassas, Virginia, and became known as the first battle of ____ ___.
12. The bloodiest battle in American History took place in September, 1862; where?
13. General George Mead and General Robert E. Lee opposed each other in a three-day battle in and around what border town in july 1863, considered by most historians to be the turning point of the war.
14. Name the owner of the farm where Lee met Grant to sign the surrender.
15. Name the woman who was hung for her part in Lincoln's assassination.
1. How many states joined the Confederacy?
ELEVEN
2. Who was Lincoln's first choice to head the Union Army when the confederates fired on Fort Sumter?
ROBERT E. LEE
3. The President of the Confederacy was Jefferson Davis; can you name the Vice President?
ALEXANDER STEPHENS
4. What was the first state to secede from the union? What was the last state to do so?
SOUTH CAROLINA - VIRGINIA
5. What city was the first Confederate Capital?
MONTGOMERY, ALA.
6. Name the nurse who became famous as the "Angel of the Battlefield".
CLARA BARTON
7. Name the Abolitionist who led the raid on Harper's Ferry, 1859.
JOHN BROWN
8. Name the ill-fated confederate submarine.
THE HUNLEY
9. Name the two ships that made history in the first "Ironclad" Naval battle.
MONITOR AND MERRIMACK
10. Which geographical area was known as the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy"?
THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY
11. Fill in the blank; The first major battle of the Civil war took place near Manassas, Virginia, and became known as the first battle of ____ ___.
BULL RUN
12. The bloodiest battle in American History took place in September, 1862; where?
ANTIETAM, MARYLAND
13. General George Mead and General Robert E. Lee opposed each other in a three-day battle in and around what border town in july 1863, considered by most historians to be the turning point of the war.
GETTYSBURG, PA.
14.Name the owner of the farm where Lee met Grant to sign the surrender.
WILMER McLEAN
15. Name the woman who was hung for her part in Lincoln's assassination.
MARY SURRATT

OK, I saw the title and didn't even try this one. Good luck to all of you who do! I know about as much about the American Civil war as most of you know about the Riel rebellion. LOL.

Just the opposite of Loprraine - 13 right 2 wrong.

Shelby Foote's trilogy of the history of the Civil War and the Ken Burns' PBS series hooked me for good. Doesn't hurt that I live in VA where so many battles took place, including the Bull Run battles (aka known as First Manassas and Second Manassas), the battlefield of which I pass through every day.

I got numbers 1, 2, 4 (just the first half though), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11. I would have gotten Gettysburg if I had not rushed through them.

Technically I got number 3 since the question was "can you name the Vice President?" My answer was "no." :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom