Sunday Special - The American Civil War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special-The American Civil War

1. How many states joined the Confederacy?
2. Who was Lincoln's first choice to head the Union Army when the confederates fired on
Fort Sumter?
3. The President of the Confederacy was Jefferson Davis; can you name the Vice
President?
4. What was the first state to secede from the union? What was the last state to do so?
5. What city was the first Confederate Capital?
6. Name the nurse who became famous as the "Angel of the Battlefield".
7. Name the man who led the raid on Harper's Ferry, 1859.
8. Name the ill-fated confederate submarine.
9. Name the two ships that made history in the first "Ironclad" Naval battle.
10. Which geographical area was known as the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy"?
11. Fill in the blank; The first major battle of the Civil war took place near Manassas,
Virginia, and became known as the first battle of ____ ___.
12. The bloodiest battle in American History took place in September, 1862; where?
13. General George Mead and General Robert E. Lee opposed each other in a three-day
battle in and around what border town in July 1863, considered by most historians to be
the turning point of the war.
14. Name the owner of the farm where Lee met Grant to sign the surrender.
15. Name the woman who was hung for her part in Lincoln's assassination.
1. ELEVEN
2. ROBERT E. LEE
3. ALEXANDER STEPHENS
4. SOUTH CAROLINA -VIRGINIA
5. MONTGOMERY, ALA.
6. CLARA BARTON
8. THE HUNLEY
9. MONITOR AND MERRIMACK
10. THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY
11. BULL RUN
12. ANTIETAM, MARYLAND
13. GETTYSBURG, PA.
14.WILMER McLEAN
15. MARY SURRATT

I got eight right. I need to brush up on my history. The first battle was named Bull Run by the Union Army. The second battle was named the Battle of Manassas by the Confedereate Army.

Also did you know that families actually went out in their carriages and were having picnics while the battle was going on? The women wanted to see their men folk fighting like a man. When they got a look at the end results of what it was really like, they packed up and headed home in a hurry. They really thought it was just going to last for about an hour and nobody would get hurt. They didn't stick around to help the wounded. Not even their own men folk. Some of the families sent their slaves back to the battlefield to look for their loved one. Most of them brought back bodies instead of the wounded. The rest of the Confederate had moved on to make camp leaving their wounded behind. :angel:

Where is the answer for number 7?

Correct in red.

1. ELEVEN
2. ROBERT E. LEE

3. ALEXANDER STEPHENS
5. MONTGOMERY, ALA.
6. CLARA BARTON
8. THE HUNLEY
9. MONITOR AND MERRIMACK

11. BULL RUN
12. ANTIETAM, MARYLAND
13. GETTYSBURG, PA.

14.WILMER McLEAN
15. MARY SURRATT

I love American History. Of course I live in a city filled with history of the start of our country.

A number of years ago I had company from out of state. There were six of us. I took them on The Freedom Trail. I also told them little antedotes that aren't in the history books or tourists leaflets. On this corner stood Johm Hancock's house. The British took it over when he fled towards Concord. On this spot stood the home of Underwood. He was the man who invented the tin can. Things only a Bostonian would know. They were here for three days. The men loved going on the USS Constitution. (Old Ironsides) And they were foolish enough to climb the three hundred plus steps up the Bunker Hill Monument. We were on that trail for more than five hours, walking. Then the last night we went to the Olde Union Oyster House. Union Oyster House, Boston, MA: History We were taken upstairs and were really loud. There was a "couple" of men across from us celebrating their anniversary. They complained to the managment. The management comped their meal, and never said a word to us. The food bill came to over $700. I don't know what the drinks cost. They were separate. They were ordering everything on the menu. Food some of them had never heard of or tried. We had an absolute blast that night. :angel:

Last edited:
Where is the answer for number 7?

It's right here:

7. John Brown
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I got the ones in red right (and I am ashamed I didn't know more!):

1. ELEVEN
2. ROBERT E. LEE
3. ALEXANDER STEPHENS
5. MONTGOMERY, ALA. -- I somehow didn't see this question, but probably would have gotten it right since it was asked a few days ago too.
6. CLARA BARTON
8. THE HUNLEY

9. MONITOR AND MERRIMACK
11. BULL RUN
12. ANTIETAM, MARYLAND
13. GETTYSBURG, PA.
14.WILMER McLEAN
15. MARY SURRATT

The Answer to #7 is John Brown (and his sons). :angel:

Actually, that would have been the only one I got right, but I didn't see the answer. I really do find these quizzes informative when I don't know the answers. I did take a lot of American History back in school but it wasn't really about the wars, etc and I find that very interesting. I traced my Dad's family tree back to the American Civil war as some of his ancestors were involved...some on either side!

Actually, that would have been the only one I got right, but I didn't see the answer. I really do find these quizzes informative when I don't know the answers. I did take a lot of American History back in school but it wasn't really about the wars, etc and I find that very interesting. I traced my Dad's family tree back to the American Civil war as some of his ancestors were involved...some on either side!

We have a family member that lives in CA. She decided to do her family tree. She was related to my sister's husband, so the whole fam damily was traced. She went back to the late 1600's on my father's side. The tribe is still living in Maine. And the records are still available. I was amazed. On my mother's side whe was able to go back to the early 1700's. :angel:

That surprises me. :angel:

Me too, I was kicking myself because my brain would not come up with the name. I had to go look. My only excuse is I had just woke up from a very short, unsatisfactory nap. Working a surprise night shift did me no good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom