Sunday Special- the King's English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special- the King's English
Today, we offer the American word, and ask you to come up with the British equivalent...........please report errors. :smartass:
1. Apartment
2. Automobile
3. Checkers
4. Elevator
5. French fries
6. Garbage Man
7. Garters
8. Gasoline
9. Gearshift
10. Hood (of a car)
11. Kerosene
12. Lawyer
13. Molasses
14. Newsstand
15. Phone Booth
16.Potato Chips
17. Suspenders
18. Thumbtack
19. Trunk (of a car)
20. Windshield

1. Apartment-- Flat
2. Automobile-- Motorcar
3. Checkers--Draughts
4. Elevator--Lift
5. French fries--Chips
6. Garbage Man--Dustman
7. Garters--Suspenders
8. Gasoline--Petrol
9. Gearshift-- Gear Lever
10. Hood (of a car)--Bonnet
11. Kerosene--Paraffin
12. Lawyer--Solicitor
13. Molasses--Treacle
14. Newsstand--Kiosk
15. Phone Booth--Call box
16.Potato Chips-- Crisps
17. Suspenders--Braces
18. Thumbtack--Drawing pin
19. Trunk (of a car)--Boot
20. Windshield--Windscreen

15. Phone Booth--Call box
img_394799_0_128dd109e2818f5f1d04da7fe4a17c1c.jpg

I'd like to see a kiosk in UK, most of them have been replaced by one chain of newsagents....and the lawyer thing is complicated...we have solicitors, solicitor advocates and barristers (all doing various different bits of the job of an attourney). The term for all three of them is a lawyer still. And most people say gear stick instead of gear lever! Treacle and molasses are slightly different things...molasses being the leftovers of the second stages of cyrstallisation of white sugar production and treacle contains molasses and is less itter and viscous.

Any way, I am going to get in my manual (stick) car and fill it up with petrol now!

i missed 3, 6, 13, 14, and 18 today.

there is paraffin wax, actually not a true wax but it is so called because of it's physical properties; and paraffin oil, aka kerosene. both are compounds (seperately) derived from processes in the refining of petroleum, the major difference being the number of carbon atoms.

for more info, search alkanes : Summary Tables for Properties and Uses of Hydrocarbons or
paraffin: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

oh, btw, kiosk is not an english word. it's derived from the turkish word for a structure which provides shade.

and yes, i need to get a life.

Last edited:
I didn't realize how attuned I had become to the Queeen's English (my husband works for a British oil company so we know many Brits) until a friend of mine accompanied me on an outing with a fellow Brit-----Barbara spoke about needing to open the bonnet, putting her husband's suit in, etc and needing petrol all said in a quick way (sounded perfect to me)-----my friend from the heartland of Ohio dropped her lower jaw turned to me and asked, "What the **** did she just say???" I just roared.

I love it! I read a lot ... period, and much of it British. Plus I have a British-born friend. So only a couple of them were unfamiliar. Plus I used to do some secretarial work for NATO, which at the time used British rather that American English. Still there were a couple I wouldn't have known.

I am reading an English mystery and I was wondering if someone could tell me what this means.
It says that they went to lunch and had replete with cheese. I have never heard of this before. Thanks.

Replete means "full up" or "stuffed with food", Joanne. We use that word too often in our house! I think it might be a typo and should read more like ..."and were replete with cheese" i.e. replacing the "had" with "were" or something like that. :)

lulu said:
Replete means "full up" or "stuffed with food", Joanne. We use that word too often in our house! I think it might be a typo and should read more like ..."and were replete with cheese" i.e. replacing the "had" with "were" or something like that. :)

Lulu, thank you so much for the information.:)

Back
Top Bottom