Sunday with Marianne and Jim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Apparently my parents have reached saturation point with food. Lou and I came down this morning with my intent to make pancakes for breakfast. I caught them quickly finishing bowls of cold cereal with fruit. They held up their hands beseechingly saying 'no more, please, no more food'. Considering all I can really do for people is feed them and try to make them laugh, I guess I'm succeeding.
I made the pancakes for Lou and the aroma was enough to break their resolve. Marianne and Jim split one:pig:. They are going to walk to church this morning in an attempt to walk off some of the wonderful dinner we had last night at that little byob in town. The church is close...they're going to have to walk around it a dozen times before actually entering the building if they really want to walk off some calories.

Me..? I have to go to the store to get more eggs, ditalini and vanilla. The ditalini is for dinner, but the eggs and vanilla are for the imminent production of a million christmas cookies. I plan to make strufoli for my dad, too, today. I'm also going to decorate the tree. The house is already smelling wonderful of pine and pancakes.

If anyone wants some strufoli tonight just come on over. It's my intention to feed the world, one meatball at a time.

Well, the tree is up. My daughter just got home so we are now getting into dough production and strufoli making. Dessert should be somewhere about 7pm.

Boy oh boy--if my daughter was still in North Jersey, I would a: come over and walk with your parents, and b: help you eat the whatever it is your baking. Another delightful journal entry of the adventures of Marianne and Jim. Thanks for the :LOL:

I wish I was your neighbor, sister, cousin...anything to get an invite into your fun!

Years ago, in the house I grew up in...my mother had a set of lifelike victorian carolers that she showcased on her bay windowsill during the christmas season. After I put up the christmas tree this afternoon we all exchanged our christmas gifts for each other. Their gift to me arrived in the mail about 10 days ago and I've held the box until tonight. I opened the box cafefully since my dad had written the word 'fragile' on it. Couldn't guess what it was. I cried like a little girl when I unwrapped each of those carolers from my childhood. Marianne said 'I wanted to give them to you from my warm hands, not cold hands' and I knew what she meant. We cried a bit more, for all the good memories we've always shared and the bittersweet thought that after tonight, they are only here for one more night.

The tree looks beautiful, just like my parents.

What a difference from day one and all the "potential" anxiety to be endured. Glad their visit it is ending as nicely as it is.

Apparently my parents have reached saturation point with food. Lou and I came down this morning with my intent to make pancakes for breakfast. I caught them quickly finishing bowls of cold cereal with fruit. They held up their hands beseechingly saying 'no more, please, no more food'. Considering all I can really do for people is feed them and try to make them laugh, I guess I'm succeeding.
I made the pancakes for Lou and the aroma was enough to break their resolve. Marianne and Jim split one:pig:. They are going to walk to church this morning in an attempt to walk off some of the wonderful dinner we had last night at that little byob in town. The church is close...they're going to have to walk around it a dozen times before actually entering the building if they really want to walk off some calories.

Me..? I have to go to the store to get more eggs, ditalini and vanilla. The ditalini is for dinner, but the eggs and vanilla are for the imminent production of a million christmas cookies. I plan to make strufoli for my dad, too, today. I'm also going to decorate the tree. The house is already smelling wonderful of pine and pancakes.

If anyone wants some strufoli tonight just come on over. It's my intention to feed the world, one meatball at a time.

You are so fortunate to have both of your parents. I remember how our holidays use to be. I use to love all the preparation, cooking and baking--helping my mom get everything all set. It is a nice memory. Hold on to them.

Years ago, in the house I grew up in...my mother had a set of lifelike victorian carolers that she showcased on her bay windowsill during the christmas season. After I put up the christmas tree this afternoon we all exchanged our christmas gifts for each other. Their gift to me arrived in the mail about 10 days ago and I've held the box until tonight. I opened the box cafefully since my dad had written the word 'fragile' on it. Couldn't guess what it was. I cried like a little girl when I unwrapped each of those carolers from my childhood. Marianne said 'I wanted to give them to you from my warm hands, not cold hands' and I knew what she meant. We cried a bit more, for all the good memories we've always shared and the bittersweet thought that after tonight, they are only here for one more night.

Awwww, got a big old lump in my throat. Lovely story, and something for us older folks to ponder. I got a few special things from my grandmother's....cold hands. I don't want to do that to my children. Your story could go into a "Chicken Soup for the Aging Parent's Soul" or something like that.

Thanks for posting that, Vera. Reminds me I should send my Nativity to my niece. It's an heirloom that was made by my Godmother and a dear friend from the church where I grew up, but I haven't put it out in years. Kristin has two little boys, and it would be lovely under their tree.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom