"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Master Chef

I was at first apprehensive about using those self serve checkouts at Home Depot so I didn't use one for the first couple of years after they put them up. But one day the lines were so long and I just had a couple of items so I took a deep breath and built up my courage that moment and used the self serve. I became a convert at that moment. I was happy. That was several years ago.

I went through the same thing with the supermarket self serve checkouts recently. I was afraid I was gonna screw up on items that needed to be weighed so I never used them. I also thought that it might miss my club discounts.
Then one day I felt this burst of courage come about me again, used the self serve counter for the first time, and converted. I was happy. This was just a couple weeks ago. I will use it again.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

When they first came out, I wanted to use them. The first few times I tried to use them, they couldn't manage to complete the transactions and some disembodied voice told me to put everything back and start over. FAT CHANCE! Someone comes to help right away, but by that time I'm really annoyed.

Now they're much better and there is hardly ever a problem. I don't mind them.

That said, our supermarket doesn't have them but I use them at Costco, Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't even know they used those debit things at Lowe's and HD. Shows how much I shop there I guess.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

If I use the self serve checkout, I can't hit on the cashier!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i rarely shop in a store. i do everything on line. but if i am in a store, i avoid them. to many chances for a mistake.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
If I use the self serve checkout, I can't hit on the cashier!
Around here, all the cute ones work at Trader Joe's. I like shopping at TJ's.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm with uncle bob. I usually have too much for it to be worth chancing getting to the end and screwing up. When we were on the road I used them a few times, when I only had a few items, and never had a problem. But I can just picture getting to my 25th item and having to start over (sort of like when you telephone a company, plug in what seems like a half-hour's worth of answers (Phone #, address, pin, name, mother's maiden name, account #), the get put on hold to wait for a human, and get cut off halfway through the second repeat of muse-ack interspersed with recordings.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't use self-checkouts because they have replaced humans. With the high unemployment rates in North America, it is my way of helping justify the clerk's position. I'll wait in line. That person needs to eat, etc., just as much as I do. I can spend some time waiting in line.I saw a segment on the news last night, self-checkouts are being phased out because of the changes in bar codes (new software needed), and because of the high percentage of errors that occur that require a clerk to resolve.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
If I only have a handful of items, then yes. I have no problem with them whatsoever.

Speaking of which, this is one of my pet peeves: people who go through the self-serve lane with 150 items in their cart (even though it almost always says "15 items or less." At least in the stores where I shop.)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Master Chef

We only have couple of stores that bag your groccery to begin with. Personally I do not mind self-check out.