Supermarkets start bagging self-serve checkouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I have only a few items, then I use the self-checkout if it also has an immediate open spot.

Otherwise, I use the checkout with a live person on the register and a bagger.

Me prepping the belt, the cashier pulling the stuff through and a bagger finishing. Seems a lot faster on a large load.:rolleyes:

I usually screw something up with the self-serve, and a cashier has to call a manager who has to reenter a password and reset the till in order for me to get checked out. Not worth it IMHO.

I didn't follow the link (I rarely do), but I have never used the self-serv. If the link had anything to do with ripping them all out, fine by me. I thought the link had something to do with baggers? Maybe I should have clicked on it, but I'll live, lol.

I'm a cash and carry person. I do bag my own groceries if given the opportunity though.

Yeah, I don't mind my own bagging. I hate it when the cranberry juice is set on top of the bananas and topped off with the gallon jug of milk.

Last edited:
I am getting really meticulous about the way I set things on the conveyor to make it easier for them, and I am still amazed sometimes.

I only use self-serve checkouts if it is a deep discount no-frills type of store.

In a "normal" store I figure I am paying for the service

Besides people need jobs. They took the gas station attendants job and the elevator operators jobs and the milk mans job. Now they are squeezing out the bank teller and the grocery clerks.

It just ain't right I tell ya! Wake up America!

I remember elevator operators.
Not necessary, but a nice touch for sure.

How's this for an abstract concept?
Maybe getting rid of elevator operators was the first sign of going digital, or automated. :huh:

I remember elevator operators.
Not necessary, but a nice touch for sure.

How's this for an abstract concept?
Maybe getting rid of elevator operators was the first sign of going digital, or automated. :huh:

I really missed the elevator operators because they were the unofficial information center in most stores and office buildings.

I was at first apprehensive about using those self serve checkouts at Home Depot so I didn't use one for the first couple of years after they put them up. But one day the lines were so long and I just had a couple of items so I took a deep breath and built up my courage that moment and used the self serve. I became a convert at that moment. I was happy. That was several years ago.

I went through the same thing with the supermarket self serve checkouts recently. I was afraid I was gonna screw up on items that needed to be weighed so I never used them. I also thought that it might miss my club discounts.
Then one day I felt this burst of courage come about me again, used the self serve counter for the first time, and converted. I was happy. This was just a couple weeks ago. I will use it again.

When they first came out, I wanted to use them. The first few times I tried to use them, they couldn't manage to complete the transactions and some disembodied voice told me to put everything back and start over. FAT CHANCE! Someone comes to help right away, but by that time I'm really annoyed.

Now they're much better and there is hardly ever a problem. I don't mind them.

That said, our supermarket doesn't have them but I use them at Costco, Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

I didn't even know they used those debit things at Lowe's and HD. Shows how much I shop there I guess.

I'm with uncle bob. I usually have too much for it to be worth chancing getting to the end and screwing up. When we were on the road I used them a few times, when I only had a few items, and never had a problem. But I can just picture getting to my 25th item and having to start over (sort of like when you telephone a company, plug in what seems like a half-hour's worth of answers (Phone #, address, pin, name, mother's maiden name, account #), the get put on hold to wait for a human, and get cut off halfway through the second repeat of muse-ack interspersed with recordings.

I don't use self-checkouts because they have replaced humans. With the high unemployment rates in North America, it is my way of helping justify the clerk's position. I'll wait in line. That person needs to eat, etc., just as much as I do. I can spend some time waiting in line.I saw a segment on the news last night, self-checkouts are being phased out because of the changes in bar codes (new software needed), and because of the high percentage of errors that occur that require a clerk to resolve.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We only have couple of stores that bag your groccery to begin with. Personally I do not mind self-check out.

Back
Top Bottom