Surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Took a big bite from a container in the fridge, thinking it was strawberry rhubarb sauce. Took me awhile to realize the strawberry rhubarb had not suddenly gone bad. Turned out I took a big bite of my leftover spaghetti sauce...good stuff, but not what I was expecting!

Took a big bite from a container in the fridge, thinking it was strawberry rhubarb sauce. Took me awhile to realize the strawberry rhubarb had not suddenly gone bad. Turned out I took a big bite of my leftover spaghetti sauce...good stuff, but not what I was expecting!

:LOL: That's a highly entertaining mental picture, Dawgluver. I spent the morning in the dentist's chair, so I was ready for a good laugh. Thanks.

tinlizzie said:
:LOL: That's a highly entertaining mental picture, Dawgluver. I spent the morning in the dentist's chair, so I was ready for a good laugh. Thanks.

Hmm. DH just said he had the same taste experience. Must work on my labeling. Hope your dental work went well, Tinlizzie!

As Gomer Pyle would say in that southern drawl, "Surprise, surprise!"

Experiencing unexpected flavors can throw you off the rest of the day, and your sense of reality! :LOL:

When I get invited to certain friend's homes for dinner, I will often taste things that are... unexpected... and not always particularly pleasant. (It's all a matter of taste. For instance, I don't like cilantro.) That's when I refer them to D.C.... in a kind way, of course. ;)

As Gomer Pyle would say in that southern drawl, "Surprise, surprise!"

Experiencing unexpected flavors can throw you off the rest of the day, and your sense of reality! :LOL:

When I get invited to certain friend's homes for dinner, I will often taste things that are... unexpected... and not always particularly pleasant. (It's all a matter of taste. For instance, I don't like cilantro.) That's when I refer them to D.C.... in a kind way, of course. ;)
Now Selkie:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
kades

I need to label things better also, so I've been there.

@Selkie
How can anyone not like cilantro. I think I could add that to pb&j and still like it:LOL:

I need to label things better also, so I've been there.

@Selkie
How can anyone not like cilantro. I think I could add that to pb&j and still like it:LOL:

I don't like it either. I've tried it, but the flavor is too strong for me, it takes over the other flavors, IMO.

Zhizara said:
I don't like it either. I've tried it, but the flavor is too strong for me, it takes over the other flavors, IMO.

This may have been addressed before, but apparently we all are born with a "cilantro gene". To some, it is delicious, to others, it tastes like soap. Kinda like most folks can curl their tongues (I can't, but can inhale cilantro).

It did to me the first few times I tried it also... but since my wife loves it I kept eating it. Now I can't imagine ceviche, most any Mexican dish, Thai foods, Vietnamese foods, Mediterranean foods or Latin dish that was not improved by the addition of the wonder herb

This may have been addressed before, but apparently we all are born with a "cilantro gene". To some, it is delicious, to others, it tastes like soap. Kinda like most folks can curl their tongues (I can't, but can inhale cilantro).

I've heard the "soap" comment before, it doesn't taste like that to me, just too strong a flavor. I guess I hadn't had it before and I bought some thinking it was just parsley. Big difference.

i love cilantro. could eat heaps of it on certain dishes.

as far as fridge freezer surprises go, i've been taking frozen quarts of mystery meals to work lately, to not waste food as well as save a few bucks.

the other night i knew that i'd brought in a container of some kind of greyish soup. it turned out to be a pretty good ol' experiment wjth a classic french lamb stew.

it was damned good. it apparently got better while in the freezer. lol

Hmm. DH just said he had the same taste experience. Must work on my labeling. Hope your dental work went well, Tinlizzie!

Yes, thanks. In the live and learn dept., I was going to confess this yesterday, but could not think of the name of the herb at that moment. I once rolled several pieces of chicken in dried fenugreek and when it baked, took a bite expecting the flavor of my home-made herbs de province mix I thought I had covered it in. Yick. :wacko: I'm sure I looked like the cat does when he gets a carpet thread in his mouth by accident. Another sad case of "I'll remember what's in here."

tinlizzie said:
Yes, thanks. In the live and learn dept., I was going to confess this yesterday, but could not think of the name of the herb at that moment. I once rolled several pieces of chicken in dried fenugreek and when it baked, took a bite expecting the flavor of my home-made herbs de province mix I thought I had covered it in. Yick. :wacko: I'm sure I looked like the cat does when he gets a carpet thread in his mouth by accident. Another sad case of "I'll remember what's in here."

LOL!

I've never had fenugreek. (That I know of.) How does it taste and what is it good in?

Zhizara said:
I've never had fenugreek. (That I know of.) How does it taste and what is it good in?

Apparently not chicken breasts.

That leaves more cilantro for Niquejim and me! Shrek doesn't like it either...so I don't have to share!

Very common in curries. I like the stuff, freshly ground. I get nauseous at the smell when it's stale. It's almost always stale in "curry powder".

Back
Top Bottom