"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

IMO most surveys are worthless.

The way a question is worded can almost guarantee the answer that the person paying for the survey is looking for.

Over the years I have tried most of these places and probably will again.

I would prefer to spend my money at a locally owned mom and pop operation.

It won't be long before thousands of drones are hovering over our neighborhoods, delivering dinners and snacks!

Then in the year 2022 soylent green!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've eaten at a Five Guys once. It was poor. Greasy overdone burgers and just OK fries. If I find a different Five Guys around here, I'll try again but the first experience was a bust.
Andy,

I have to agree with you. Below is a photo of my one and only Five Guys experience. I stopped there one day and picked up lunch to take back to the office. I really do get the whole minimalist thing. It's a burger on a bun in a bag. No frills. But I honestly felt a little embarrassed walking into my office carrying a plain brown paper bag soaked with grease. The fries were awful. Not crisp at all. I got halfway through the burger and felt like I had eaten a big, greasy rock. There's was nothing pleasant about the experience.

The guy I rode up the elevator with said it all:

Guy: I think there's something leaking in your bag.

Me: Yeah.... it's lunch. Five Guys.

Guy (with eyebrow cocked sarcastically): Hmm. I think they need to work on the presentation.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We ate at 5 Guys in the Mpls area, I found it nothing to write home about either. And I was in London, England at the time their first McDonalds opened. The food was apparently terrible, watched one man come out, take one bite of his burger, swear a bit, then throw it in the trash.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

We find ourselves eating in places like this when we travel. Sometimes its palatable, sometimes its not.
Example. Burger King used to be the choice when it came to fast food. Turns out BK in our area sucks. Terrible. Buns not fresh and burgers not even warm.
We are down in Florida and see a brand new BK. Just opened.
Best BK we ever ate in.
Proves its not the food itself, its the people making this food.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
Head Chef

I don't know if MacDonald's has 100% carried through with eliminating the use of ammonia treated beef (of the famous Pink Slime) but I guess that one has to assume that they have.

About the inclusion of sinew in their beef---- I do have to say that when I order the Vietnam soup Pho I always order the one that includes tendon (sinew) in it. It's delicious. So I wouldn't mind sinew in my MacDonald's burger I guess as long as it's beef that's been inspected, as MacDonald's is.

Snopes says there's nothing but beef in their hamburgers:

"Those who continue to harbor doubts about the 100% beef claim should examine the ingredient lists on McDonald's web site. All of the chain's hamburgers are made from "100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."

snopes.com: McDonald's 100% Beef

Beef is beef.

Whether a person 'likes' a MacDonald burger or not is their opinion and that's o.k. If beef sinew isn't their 'thing' I can understand not eating any MacD's burgers.

I like both Five Guys AND MacD's burgers.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Snopes says there's nothing but beef in their hamburgers
Beef is beef.
So, by your criteria, any part of the cow is as good as the next? Sorry, but that simply isn't true.

I would also point to a study performed by the Annals of American Pathology, and published on the NIH website.

Here's the gist:
Americans consume about 5 billion hamburgers a year. It is presumed that most hamburgers are composed primarily of meat. The purpose of this study is to assess the content of 8 fast food hamburger brands using histologic methods. Eight different brands of hamburgers were evaluated for water content by weight and microscopically for recognizable tissue types. [...] Fast food hamburgers are comprised of little meat (median, 12.1%). Approximately half of their weight is made up of water. Unexpected tissue types found in some hamburgers included bone, cartilage, and plant material; no brain tissue was present. Sarcocystis parasites were discovered in 2 hamburgers.

That doesn't sound like 100% beef to me.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

I like In 'n Out. The closest one is about an hour and a half drive, so I don't go there very often. It's probably been a year since I was there. Fresh ingredients, and no heat lamps or microwaves. Now I'm craving one.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've heard really good things about In 'n Out. Sadly, none are close by.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I like In 'n Out. The closest one is about an hour and a half drive, so I don't go there very often. It's probably been a year since I was there. Fresh ingredients, and no heat lamps or microwaves. Now I'm craving one.
Oh, yes---- In 'n Out---- very good burgers but where I'm living now there are none.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
So, by your criteria, any part of the cow is as good as the next? Sorry, but that simply isn't true.

I would also point to a study performed by the Annals of American Pathology, and published on the NIH website.

Here's the gist:
Americans consume about 5 billion hamburgers a year. It is presumed that most hamburgers are composed primarily of meat. The purpose of this study is to assess the content of 8 fast food hamburger brands using histologic methods. Eight different brands of hamburgers were evaluated for water content by weight and microscopically for recognizable tissue types. [...] Fast food hamburgers are comprised of little meat (median, 12.1%). Approximately half of their weight is made up of water. Unexpected tissue types found in some hamburgers included bone, cartilage, and plant material; no brain tissue was present. Sarcocystis parasites were discovered in 2 hamburgers.

That doesn't sound like 100% beef to me.
I don't know what the rules are in the US but here "beef" may legally include ground bones, intestines, skin, etc., as well as cuts of actual meat. The better organisations don't do this but at the cheap end of the market - who knows.