"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #41
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Demystifying some facts about fast food burgers:

[... lots of stuff ...]

I don't think fast food burgers are very healthy compared to what one can prepare at home, although I do eat them sometimes.
Holy cow.... I'm not sure what the point of your argument is. First you defend fast food with several paragraphs of hooey, and then you turn around and say you don't think it's healthy, either. What in the world???

If you enjoy McDonald's then, by all means, eat as much of it as you like and don't worry about what me or others think. Personally, I would rather eat almost anywhere than any of the big fast food chains. Most of what I've had tastes like cheap, crappy food. But maybe that's just me.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,384
I rarely eat in a FF burger joint. However, when I do, it's because I have a grandson with me and I accept that it's not a "real" burger and just eat so I won't be hungry for a while. Comparing FF to what you make at home is an exercise in futility.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #43
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Holy cow.... I'm not sure what the point of your argument is. First you defend it, then you turn around and say you don't think it's healthy.

If you like McDonald's, then by all means eat as much of it as you like and don't worry about what me or others think. Personally, I would rather eat almost anywhere other than any of the big fast food chains. Most of it that I've had tastes like cheap, crappy food. But maybe that's just me.
Steve, I'm not 'arguing'. I'm presenting some facts. People can make up their own minds.
I'm not 'defending' fast food burgers. But I do eat them sometimes, as you have.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #44
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm confused. Isn't skeletal muscle what we usually consider meat (other than offal)? Does that study really say that one brand of burgers had no skeletal meat? "more than 20 fragments". I don't know how big a fragment is compared to a burger, but that doesn't sound like much meat to me. Scary stuff.
Skeletal muscle IS meat. It's round steak, chuck roast, chicken breast just to name a few. If a person isn't a vegetarian they eat skeletal muscle almost every day.

Fragments are not identified by size. The discussion in the full article states:
"Tissue types identified were quantified in 10 random but adjacent, high-power fields (area, 15.7 mm2 in aggregate)" for a histological survey so they could be er, em tiny.

"Bone and cartilage, observed in some brands, were not expected; their presence may be related to the use of mechanical separation in the processing of the meat from the animal. Small amounts of bone and
cartilage may have been detached during the separation
process (advanced meat recovery). The United States
Department of Agriculture regulations allow for up to
150 mg of calcium (usually in the form of bone) per 100 g of
meat product"

The bolded phrases are worth a look at. A lot is explained there.

To see what needs to be labeled (or not) "SAFE AND SUITABLE INGREDIENTS USED IN THE PRODUCTION OF MEAT, POULTRY, AND EGG PRODUCTS"

Updated 2012 for the U.S.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/...ves/7120.1.pdf
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
But I do eat them sometimes, as you have.
I've never eaten Taco Bell or KFC, and I've had exactly one Big Mac in the last nine years. I don't think that even qualifies as "sometimes."
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #46
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I've never eaten Taco Bell or KFC, and I've had exactly one Big Mac in the last nine years. I don't think that even qualifies as "sometimes."
Steve, you are right. My bad.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.