"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #41
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Demystifying some facts about fast food burgers:

[... lots of stuff ...]

I don't think fast food burgers are very healthy compared to what one can prepare at home, although I do eat them sometimes.
Holy cow.... I'm not sure what the point of your argument is. First you defend fast food with several paragraphs of hooey, and then you turn around and say you don't think it's healthy, either. What in the world???

If you enjoy McDonald's then, by all means, eat as much of it as you like and don't worry about what me or others think. Personally, I would rather eat almost anywhere than any of the big fast food chains. Most of what I've had tastes like cheap, crappy food. But maybe that's just me.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

I rarely eat in a FF burger joint. However, when I do, it's because I have a grandson with me and I accept that it's not a "real" burger and just eat so I won't be hungry for a while. Comparing FF to what you make at home is an exercise in futility.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Holy cow.... I'm not sure what the point of your argument is. First you defend it, then you turn around and say you don't think it's healthy.

If you like McDonald's, then by all means eat as much of it as you like and don't worry about what me or others think. Personally, I would rather eat almost anywhere other than any of the big fast food chains. Most of it that I've had tastes like cheap, crappy food. But maybe that's just me.
Steve, I'm not 'arguing'. I'm presenting some facts. People can make up their own minds.
I'm not 'defending' fast food burgers. But I do eat them sometimes, as you have.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm confused. Isn't skeletal muscle what we usually consider meat (other than offal)? Does that study really say that one brand of burgers had no skeletal meat? "more than 20 fragments". I don't know how big a fragment is compared to a burger, but that doesn't sound like much meat to me. Scary stuff.
Skeletal muscle IS meat. It's round steak, chuck roast, chicken breast just to name a few. If a person isn't a vegetarian they eat skeletal muscle almost every day.

Fragments are not identified by size. The discussion in the full article states:
"Tissue types identified were quantified in 10 random but adjacent, high-power fields (area, 15.7 mm2 in aggregate)" for a histological survey so they could be er, em tiny.

"Bone and cartilage, observed in some brands, were not expected; their presence may be related to the use of mechanical separation in the processing of the meat from the animal. Small amounts of bone and
cartilage may have been detached during the separation
process (advanced meat recovery). The United States
Department of Agriculture regulations allow for up to
150 mg of calcium (usually in the form of bone) per 100 g of
meat product"

The bolded phrases are worth a look at. A lot is explained there.

To see what needs to be labeled (or not) "SAFE AND SUITABLE INGREDIENTS USED IN THE PRODUCTION OF MEAT, POULTRY, AND EGG PRODUCTS"

Updated 2012 for the U.S.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/...ves/7120.1.pdf
Old 07-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
But I do eat them sometimes, as you have.
I've never eaten Taco Bell or KFC, and I've had exactly one Big Mac in the last nine years. I don't think that even qualifies as "sometimes."
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I've never eaten Taco Bell or KFC, and I've had exactly one Big Mac in the last nine years. I don't think that even qualifies as "sometimes."
Steve, you are right. My bad.