Survey: Customers slam McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Survey: Customers slam McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell

That's why:

• McDonald's ranked last in burgers. Of 21 burger chains national and regional, McDonald's was at the very bottom, with a 5.8 rating. At the top was a regional chain, The Habit Burger Grill, rating 8.1.

In a statement, McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa McComb said: "We're proud to serve 27 million customers every day at McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. It's important for us to listen to their feedback as it helps us better meet their needs and expectations."

• KFC ranked last in chicken. Of eight chicken chains, KFC finished in the cellar with a 7.1 rating. At the top was Chick-fil-A, with a 8.0 rating.

In a statement, KFC spokeswoman Karen Sherman said: "KFC is committed to providing our guests with our world-famous chicken and meals, our Southern hospitality and service and a great value. We won't be satisfied until we are No. 1."

• Taco Bell ranked last in burritos. Of eight Mexican chains, Taco Bell was at the bottom with a 6.3 rating. Chipotle finished on top with 7.8.

Taco Bell did not immediately comment.

I've never really understood why Mc.D's was Americas favorite burger place. . . that said, I have had some delish Mc.D's in other countries.

KFC and Chic-fil-a aren't even in the same ball park, imo. KFC is frid chicken, CFA is chicken sandwiches.

Taco Bell isn't even Mexican, it's Cali-Mex, no one goes to Taco Bell if the want mexican, you go to TB if you WANT Taco Bell. I also don't get the huge Chipotle following, maybe it's just the 2 times I've had it, it was really kinda meh at best.

I've eaten at McDonald's exactly once in the last 9 years. Based on that one experience, I can see why it's at the bottom of the list. Don't get me wrong. I actually like burgers, but I'm kind of picky about how they're made. I only use certain cuts of beef for burgers at home. The stuff they serve at McD's tastes like it's made from meat leftovers with lots of non-meat fillers and artificial meat flavor added. Which probably isn't too far off the mark.

I don't know if it counts as fast food, but Mrs. K and I ate at SmashBurger recently. I thought it was pretty good. The burger had great flavor and the toppings were fresh.

I've never once eaten at a Taco Bell or KFC. Never. We didn't have either in the town where I grew up, so it wasn't anything I ever developed a taste for. When I was a kid, A&W or DQ were the only options for that kind of food, and my parents only took us there on rare occasions. I have to admit I still get a craving once in a while for A&W root beer in one of those frosty glass mugs. :yum:

Last edited:
I don't know if it counts as fast food, but Mrs. K and I ate at SmashBurger recently. I thought it was pretty good. The burger had great flavor and the toppings were fresh.

that's the latest to come here to Nova. I was weary, but they sent out a $5 gift card for folks to redeem. If I'm not making them at home, my go to for a good burger has been 5 Guys. For a "fast food" place, their burgers are pretty darn good!

I'll have to give Smashburger a go, their menu looks good and far more diverse than the pretty standardized 5 Guys menu.

that's the latest to come here to Nova. I was weary, but they sent out a $5 gift card for folks to redeem. If I'm not making them at home, my go to for a good burger has been 5 Guys. For a "fast food" place, their burgers are pretty darn good!

I'll have to give Smashburger a go, their menu looks good and far more diverse than the pretty standardized 5 Guys menu.

Five Guys was one of those that came out on top. We have one of those in the next town over. About ten minutes away. Have never been there. I just go to the supermarket in that shopping mall. And then back home. :angel:

I've never really understood why Mc.D's was Americas favorite burger place. . . that said, I have had some delish Mc.D's in other countries.

KFC and Chic-fil-a aren't even in the same ball park, imo. KFC is frid chicken, CFA is chicken sandwiches.

Taco Bell isn't even Mexican, it's Cali-Mex, no one goes to Taco Bell if the want mexican, you go to TB if you WANT Taco Bell. I also don't get the huge Chipotle following, maybe it's just the 2 times I've had it, it was really kinda meh at best.
I wonder if the McD's in the UK are franchised because most of it is horrid. There is an exception though. There is a McD's in Derby which serves very good food. The place is always busy so the food hasn't had time to hang around getting soggy and it tastes good. Despite the fact that my family only live about 5 miles further on I occasionally factor in a stop at that one.

McD's were very popular when they first arrived here because people thought they were eating "American" food. I think it McD sales over here owe a lot to kiddy-power - children pestering mum and dad. (Although I once worked with a teacher who said her family were going out for dinner on Sunday but it would have to be McD's because her children didn't know how to behave in a "proper" restaurant!!!!) It also has the advantage that they are open when nothing else is now that they mostly open 24/7 including Christmas Day and if you are travelling and desperate for something to eat you don't much care what it is.

We have KFC here as well. Only had it once - never again!

Always 5 Guys...it's worth the trip across town.

All the critical reviews aside, these chains are doing great. So do you believe what they say in a survey or where the spend their money.

I've eaten at a Five Guys once. It was poor. Greasy overdone burgers and just OK fries. If I find a different Five Guys around here, I'll try again but the first experience was a bust.

All the critical reviews aside, these chains are doing great. So do you believe what they say in a survey or where the spend their money.

I've eaten at a Five Guys once. It was poor. Greasy overdone burgers and just OK fries. If I find a different Five Guys around here, I'll try again but the first experience was a bust.

Wish I could ship you an order from ours, it is exceptional.

IMO most surveys are worthless.

The way a question is worded can almost guarantee the answer that the person paying for the survey is looking for.

Over the years I have tried most of these places and probably will again.

I would prefer to spend my money at a locally owned mom and pop operation.

It won't be long before thousands of drones are hovering over our neighborhoods, delivering dinners and snacks!

Then in the year 2022 soylent green! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Andy,

I have to agree with you. Below is a photo of my one and only Five Guys experience. I stopped there one day and picked up lunch to take back to the office. I really do get the whole minimalist thing. It's a burger on a bun in a bag. No frills. But I honestly felt a little embarrassed walking into my office carrying a plain brown paper bag soaked with grease. The fries were awful. Not crisp at all. I got halfway through the burger and felt like I had eaten a big, greasy rock. There's was nothing pleasant about the experience.

The guy I rode up the elevator with said it all:

Guy: I think there's something leaking in your bag.

Me: Yeah.... it's lunch. Five Guys.

Guy (with eyebrow cocked sarcastically): Hmm. I think they need to work on the presentation.

img_1372324_0_651de79023022524b4b25433eaa20bc4.jpg

Last edited:
We ate at 5 Guys in the Mpls area, I found it nothing to write home about either. And I was in London, England at the time their first McDonalds opened. The food was apparently terrible, watched one man come out, take one bite of his burger, swear a bit, then throw it in the trash.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

We find ourselves eating in places like this when we travel. Sometimes its palatable, sometimes its not.
Example. Burger King used to be the choice when it came to fast food. Turns out BK in our area sucks. Terrible. Buns not fresh and burgers not even warm.
We are down in Florida and see a brand new BK. Just opened.
Best BK we ever ate in.
Proves its not the food itself, its the people making this food.

I don't know if MacDonald's has 100% carried through with eliminating the use of ammonia treated beef (of the famous Pink Slime) but I guess that one has to assume that they have.

About the inclusion of sinew in their beef---- I do have to say that when I order the Vietnam soup Pho I always order the one that includes tendon (sinew) in it. It's delicious. So I wouldn't mind sinew in my MacDonald's burger I guess as long as it's beef that's been inspected, as MacDonald's is.

Snopes says there's nothing but beef in their hamburgers:

"Those who continue to harbor doubts about the 100% beef claim should examine the ingredient lists on McDonald's web site. All of the chain's hamburgers are made from "100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."

snopes.com: McDonald's 100% Beef

Beef is beef.

Whether a person 'likes' a MacDonald burger or not is their opinion and that's o.k. If beef sinew isn't their 'thing' I can understand not eating any MacD's burgers.

I like both Five Guys AND MacD's burgers.

Snopes says there's nothing but beef in their hamburgers
Beef is beef.
So, by your criteria, any part of the cow is as good as the next? Sorry, but that simply isn't true. :rolleyes:

I would also point to a study performed by the Annals of American Pathology, and published on the NIH website.

Here's the gist:
Americans consume about 5 billion hamburgers a year. It is presumed that most hamburgers are composed primarily of meat. The purpose of this study is to assess the content of 8 fast food hamburger brands using histologic methods. Eight different brands of hamburgers were evaluated for water content by weight and microscopically for recognizable tissue types. [...] Fast food hamburgers are comprised of little meat (median, 12.1%). Approximately half of their weight is made up of water. Unexpected tissue types found in some hamburgers included bone, cartilage, and plant material; no brain tissue was present. Sarcocystis parasites were discovered in 2 hamburgers.

That doesn't sound like 100% beef to me. ;)

I like In 'n Out. :) The closest one is about an hour and a half drive, so I don't go there very often. It's probably been a year since I was there. Fresh ingredients, and no heat lamps or microwaves. Now I'm craving one. :LOL:

I've heard really good things about In 'n Out. Sadly, none are close by.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I like In 'n Out. :) The closest one is about an hour and a half drive, so I don't go there very often. It's probably been a year since I was there. Fresh ingredients, and no heat lamps or microwaves. Now I'm craving one. :LOL:

Oh, yes---- In 'n Out---- very good burgers but where I'm living now there are none. :(

So, by your criteria, any part of the cow is as good as the next? Sorry, but that simply isn't true. :rolleyes:

I would also point to a study performed by the Annals of American Pathology, and published on the NIH website.

Here's the gist:
Americans consume about 5 billion hamburgers a year. It is presumed that most hamburgers are composed primarily of meat. The purpose of this study is to assess the content of 8 fast food hamburger brands using histologic methods. Eight different brands of hamburgers were evaluated for water content by weight and microscopically for recognizable tissue types. [...] Fast food hamburgers are comprised of little meat (median, 12.1%). Approximately half of their weight is made up of water. Unexpected tissue types found in some hamburgers included bone, cartilage, and plant material; no brain tissue was present. Sarcocystis parasites were discovered in 2 hamburgers.

That doesn't sound like 100% beef to me. ;)
I don't know what the rules are in the US but here "beef" may legally include ground bones, intestines, skin, etc., as well as cuts of actual meat. The better organisations don't do this but at the cheap end of the market - who knows.

Back
Top Bottom