Sweet Taste in My Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This afternoon I decided to have stroganoff that was left over from last night's supper. I noticed a slight sweet taste to the food, which was weird because it tasted perfectly normal last night. I started wondering what on earth was giving the food that sweet taste.

Then I licked my lips. Sheesh! James had given me some DQ Chocolate Dipped Cone lip balm for Christmas, and I forgot I had put some of it on right before fixing my lunch. What a dork!!!

:LOL:Barbara

I was sitting in a movie theatre, trying to figure out who was eating junior mints near me....when my husband finally realized it was my mint chocolate lip balm.

I actually thought maybe I was getting sick and that was a weird side-effect. In fact, for the last few months I have been smelling something sweet off and on. At first it lasted almost 24 hours a day and was making me crazy. It still happens quite a bit, and it really bugs me.

:)Barbara

People know when I have lip balm on--I reach for the old blue bottle of Vicks--best there is around and instantly soothing---smell like an old grandma---wait a minute I'm a young grandma in training to one day be an "old grandma" hahaha

"DQ Chocolate Dipped Cone lip balm" ??!!

Are you kidding me? That's enough to make me start using lip balm :ermm:

Glad you figured things out, Barbara. That must have been driving you crazy :LOL:

As a brewer, everytime I move, it takes months for the neighbors to come over and ask me what the heck that smell is. LOL. I imagine them sitting in their homes wandering around trying to figure out what the heck that smell is. :LOL:

So, Barbara, is it sort of a sweet, cloying, smell, not quite like bread, more earthy but ultra sweet? Maybe you've got a new neighbor...heck...maybe it's ME!

I bought cherry vanilla lip balm for the grands, they are always asking for "some". < that means lip something, as mommy and daddy always say to the baby's when applying theirs, "do you want 'some'?" so they ask for "some". I took the plastic off before giving it to them and then applied a small bit to myself. I would give it to each little one but first would say, "Oh, grams needs a smoocha first." << meaning a kiss. each of them kissed me and then they'd all lick their lips, and ask for another kiss. VERY WORTH WHATEVER THAT STUFF COST me for all those kisses.;)

I just suggested this to my wife, and she looked at me and said "why would I want a candy taste on my lips, or to smell like candy?"

Humpfff. No fun at all, LOL.:LOL:

...So, Barbara, is it sort of a sweet, cloying, smell, not quite like bread, more earthy but ultra sweet? Maybe you've got a new neighbor...heck...maybe it's ME!
Unless my new neighbor is following me (I don't just smell it at home) I doubt it! Hey, you're not stalking me are you?!!! :-p

I'm glad it isn't almost 24 hours a day now (now it is a few hours a week). Have you ever opened a bag of artificial sweetener (or been near one that was being opened) and had a tiny puff of it go into your nose? It is like that. People in my diabetes group said to check my ketones. My breath wasn't "fruity" but I went ahead and bought the testing strips anyway, and that was normal. I asked the doctor about it and she couldn't think of anything that might cause it. All I know is that it is weird. :rolleyes:

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom