"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

System Restore Question

Help needed, please.

Had some problems w my puter on Jan 3. Tried system restore (to a prior date), but it would not work. Disabled system restore in the hope of clearing it - then lost all restore dates prior to Jan 3. How can I get the older restore dates (prior to Jan 3) back? Thanks in advance.

Note: Please, please, please - if you are a new member, please do not post typewritten or otherwise links - or override the rules & post the link in your signature.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I will check with my DW when she gets homes if no one else able to help.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thank you miniman.

Added note - a newbie posted a typewritten link - it was deleted by Andy M (thank you). Then the direct link to the member's site was posted in their signature (under 20 posts). When I have a chance I will follow up w Administration. Meanwhile, I would be most appreciative & grateful for any help in restoring my computer. Sorry - I am beside myself, having been unable to access, & then lost, recipes I've saved for years.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Thank you miniman.

Added note - a newbie posted a typewritten link - it was deleted by Andy M (thank you). Then the direct link to the member's site was posted in their signature (under 20 posts). When I have a chance I will follow up w Administration. Meanwhile, I would be most appreciative & grateful for any help in restoring my computer. Sorry - I am beside myself, having been unable to access, & then lost, recipes I've saved for years.
What's the big deal with the link?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
What's the big deal with the link?
The Big Deal is there were problems with the link - that caused problems to my new computer when & new member tried to override the rules here! I will take it up with Administration.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Your firewall and/or antivirus software would prevent that. Are they turned on and updated?

If the disk is not bootable you can bring it somewhere to have the information copied or install it as a slave drive on another system.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Help needed, please.

Had some problems w my puter on Jan 3. Tried system restore (to a prior date), but it would not work. Disabled system restore in the hope of clearing it - then lost all restore dates prior to Jan 3. How can I get the older restore dates (prior to Jan 3) back? Thanks in advance.

Note: Please, please, please - if you are a new member, please do not post typewritten or otherwise links - or override the rules & post the link in your signature.
The answer is No. You probobly saw this message:

You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
The Big Deal is there were problems with the link - that caused problems to my new computer when & new member tried to override the rules here! I will take it up with Administration.
Have you PMed anyone about this Amy? If not, could you fire one off to one of us, or hit the Contact Us link or post it here so we can follow up?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Can I go into Safe mode (F2)? Or is there some way to get back older restore dates? TIA
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Have you PMed anyone about this Amy? If not, could you fire one off to one of us, or hit the Contact Us link or post it here so we can follow up?
I will Alix. Meanwhile, I just want to get back to restore - or any other ideas. Thank you.