Table Setting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
We entertain quite a lot, but it is usually fairly informal. I do use tablecloths and cloth napkins and try to have a pretty centerpiece and arrange the food nicely, but it is family style and we all have a good time.

My question has to do with charger plates. How do you use them, and when is it appropriate to remove them? I'm planning a small, more formal dinner for friends' 45th ann'y. and would like to dress up the table a bit more than usual.
I know you all will be able to help me.
Thanks in advance.

Lyndalou

I use the charger as a secondary placemat! It stays underneath the plates for all courses, including cheese.

I believe that customarily the charger plate is used under the early courses that are served in small bowls/plates, and it is removed when the main course comes in on its own large plate. It allows the small early dishes to look more "important" and since it is on the table at the beginning, it is a marker to help set the places evenly.

Have fun at your party!

I don't have a charger plate but from what I read in the replies it sounds like something that keep food hot during the course of your meal.

Jill and Jolie

shpj4 said:
I don't have a charger plate but from what I read in the replies it sounds like something that keep food hot during the course of your meal.

Jill and Jolie

A charger is just for decoration - it serves no other purpose.

Anytime I have been to a restaurant whatever is eaten before the entree gets there is removed from the table WITH the charger plate.

If, however, your chargers just add a certain "something" to your table you may leave them through the entree - but definately remove them before dessert.

LyndaLou, I don't have chargers, but I want to get some. The other day, I found some good information about serving at www.EmilyPost.com. I hope I'm not wrong about this, but it seems to me that chargers were discussed -- when to remove them, etc. You might enjoy going there for info.

More often than not, I've seen them left on the table during the first two or three courses, but removed with the main entree.

I'd hesitate to leave it much longer than a course or two for no other reason than eventually, something will either drip or crumble into it, looking unsightly.

Anne, I am going to purchase my first set of chargers this weekend. The information on the Post website is great. Thanks for sharing it. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Lyndalou

I use charger plates when I serve a meal in the dining room and leave it on the table throughout the meal - however, I usually do not serve too many courses - and yes, sometimes they do get dribbles on them so check them before putting away!

Back
Top Bottom