"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have a Mifi device for when I travel. However, when I was on the train coming back from MN, the gal sharing my seat had an IPad using 3G technology. She was able to get a signal when I could not. I'd go with 3G
(or if you can afford it, 4G) over Mi/WiFi. My brother and I were talking about this yesterday. You can get MS-Word for an IPad very inexpensively--I think the gal told me it was an $8.00 app.
You can get Pages for $9.99 which is the mac equivalent but it does allow you to save in a .doc format (word standard)

I have the first iPad 3G and would never be without it, interent anywhere and it is pretty quick. Great for video content as well. Not the best eReader though.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here's a challenge: My parents live in a remote area. I bought a MiFi device (pay as you go) but the signal was funky. How can one check to see if 3G coverage is available and does one pay roaming fees to access that?
Just use something like this AT&T Coverage Viewer all carriers have it. I googled "AT&T coverage checker"

Old 10-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

I'm thinking I need a trip to an electronics store to see the options side by side and actually handle them a bit to see what I want. The other day the kids in class were using iPads to do research (school provided) and that got me thinking about the advantages of something similar for myself.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook

If you order your Kindle Fire from Amazon, you will have 30 days to try it out. If it doesn't do what you want, contact Customer Service and you will be able to return it, no questions asked. I believe they will even send you the shipping papers....It's a win-win situation! I've pre-ordered a Fire for Hubby but I love my Kindle!