"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

Tablet computers vs. Kindle Fire

I'm considering getting a tablet computer for work. With my job, I could use one that will allow internet use as well as reading ebooks. I'm not sure if I should be looking at wifi type or 3G type and have no idea about brands. The kindle fire seems like it might do what I want and the price is reasonable. Does anyone have a tablet computer and can offer any advice?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Well, with 3g, it just means you can use it through a service provider, like Verizon/AT&T, etc. . .no wifi or hardlined connection required.

Wifi is wifi.

The most important question is what kind of work will you be doing? Tablets and e-readers are cool and all, but as for one dedicated for work, I would find them severely lacking. Now a laptop style tablet, basically where the screen flips back flat, and you use a stylus to write, is just a true computer with a different input interface. An Ipad is great for reading, browsing the WWW, killing time, but to rely on one for actual work, it would drive me crazy. . .even more so would be an internet enabled e-reader.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If you have an iPad, you must have a PC or a Mac in order to connect to Itunes and make the thing functional. My Kindle 2 operates on Whispersync, a totally different animal. Have no idea what Kindle Fire will operate on, probably Whispersync again. Extremely confusing.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Master Chef

Tat- at work I'd mainly need it to research info and find the sign language equivalent of words maybe check email. Not a lot of typing or actual calculations going on. In some classes I have a lot of down time (during tests, quizzes etc and during ceramics when she's working her clay) so need something to do besides sit. That's why I thought a tablet thing would be convenient to put in my bag and not be heavy. Easy to pull out and use for short periods without being a production to set up. My home computers are all PC and not Apple so I'm not going the Ipad route. My son had difficulty working around his Ipod on the PC.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ahhhh, then maybe a tablet would be ideal.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
If you have an iPad, you must have a PC or a Mac in order to connect to Itunes and make the thing functional. My Kindle 2 operates on Whispersync, a totally different animal. Have no idea what Kindle Fire will operate on, probably Whispersync again. Extremely confusing.
Kindle Fire will use Whispersync but it is not true that the iPad has to be connected to a computer anymore not since iOS 5, it is completely computer free now. That is if you want it to be.

Think screen size and usage.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Sparks View Post
Kindle Fire will use Whispersync but it is not true that the iPad has to be connected to a computer anymore not since iOS 5, it is completely computer free now. That is if you want it to be.

Think screen size and usage.
You know, someone told me that same thing on the iPhone forum, yet when I got my iPhone last week and could not get it to connect to my carrier, the TS folks said the first thing I should have done is downloaded iTunes and connected the phone to my computer It was shipped with iOS 5 BTW.
The instructions that came with the phone simply said to turn it on and follow the onscreen prompts.

The Fire is rumored to be also coming out with a larger model. Of course, the first one isn't even out yet, I've got one preordered, but a larger one is said to be in the works.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Interesting, I must admit I have not tried to activate a new phone on iOS 5 but you are supposed to be able to. It was one of the biggest selling points of iOS 5 both for iPad and iPhone. I wonder if that is carrier specific.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Mifi device for when I travel. However, when I was on the train coming back from MN, the gal sharing my seat had an IPad using 3G technology. She was able to get a signal when I could not. I'd go with 3G
(or if you can afford it, 4G) over Mi/WiFi. My brother and I were talking about this yesterday. You can get MS-Word for an IPad very inexpensively--I think the gal told me it was an $8.00 app.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a challenge: My parents live in a remote area. I bought a MiFi device (pay as you go) but the signal was funky. How can one check to see if 3G coverage is available and does one pay roaming fees to access that?